How do I pull out the passenger seat on my '94?

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do I pull out the passenger seat on my \'94?

I want to switch the seats because the bolster on the driver's side is wearing a bit thin. I got the driver's seat and base out all in one piece in short order, but I can't even get to the back bolts on the passenger seat, it won't go up forward enough to even get my hand back there, never mind the wrench. Did I miss something there, or not do something right to get at those back bolts? Is the seat supposed to go forward more than it does, as it only moves forward a very short distance, much less than the driver's seat does. It does not seem to tilt forward as much as the driver's seat either. Can I override these stops on forward movement and tilt so I can get at the back bolts? Help! By the way, I also found $1.20 in loose change tucked way up on the right side of the driver's side of the seat well, I could not believe that there was anything there because I try to keep a very clean car, but there it was, and there is no way you can even see it with the seat in its normal position.
Last summer I found a fairly large knife that was tucked up near where the seat belt bolts to the tranny tunnel, that I think the original owner hid under the seat, then lost it. Strange things find their way up under the seats in a Viper, or so it seems.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: How do I pull out the passenger seat on my \'94?

You can pull the lower seat cushion out and get access to the bolts.

On the leading edge of the seats on the underside there is a wire that hooks the cushion to the seat frame.
Pry it down and back to unhook it.

Once you do that, the cushion should come right out.
(That's how my 94 was, and a 93 I worked on).

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I lose all of my loose change to the Viper Gods. Easy to get back by moving the seat all the ways forward. As to seat removal I believe you have to pull the lower seat cushion. Then all of the attachment fasteners can be accessed. At the front of the cushion, on the bottom, is a very thin wire latch. Unclick the wire and the seat cushion should come out. Good luck in getting it replaced. Those stupid wire clips have made mincemeat out of my hands before.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are holes in the seat rails that you can line up with the bolts holding the seat to the floor. The back inside bolt is hard to line up but can be done.

Tom

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Roland,
My wife complained about the passenger seat not moving forward. Look under there and see the tabs on the rail stopping the seat slide rail from moving forward. I took a hack saw and cut the tabs off the lower rail. Tight fit, and had to use only a part of a hack saw blade for much of the cut. The seat now moves forward like the drivers, and those 'stop' tabs do not prevent the seat from sliding completely off; in other words, the seat still stops at the limit of travel. You will be able to see the back rail bolts to remove the seats. Oh, my wife loves the seat adjustments.
Later,

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score

There is no need to remove the seat hardware. It is much easier to just remove the cushions and switch them.

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score

I switched my seats too because of the bolster wear on the driver's seat when I got the car. The controls are reversed now, but it's not a big deal. I may try to redo it by switching the seat backs using instructions elsewhere on the board to get things back to normal. And I love the tip on extending the passenger seat travel - will definately do that to allow me to retrieve the hardtop bolt that I keep dropping back there. Thanks Don!

TIP: When putting the bottom cushion back on, loop some twine through the metal loop and out under the front of the seat frame. Then sit in the seat, reach down, and pull down and forward on the twine. The metal clip will pop right onto the plastic lip. Then just pull the twine out. No sweat.

Curt

PHILIP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I realise this thread is a little old, but it was good to find it, to tell me how to remove the seat after struggling to figure it out for 20 minutes at the car.

Does anyone know why the passengers seat only slides a small amount? it would almost seem more logical to have the seat fixed rather move such a little amount.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PHILIP,
....or fix it like I said above - you won't regret it.
Later,

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Moving the lower cushions is easy but the back cushions are a real pain to get re-attached.

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Roland, ask your wife to get out first! Sorry, just had to.

lol (all in good fun)

PHILIP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don, I will fix it but interested to know why it is the way iy is????

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I can recall, I think I just bent the tabs on the seat rail and then it moves much more and gain you access to the rear bolts.