How easy is it to take off the side sills

Reaction score
So easy it is almost funny! 4 screws on the underside, remove the little caps in the door sill to access the 4 screws on the top, pull them off. The only pics I have of of mine sitting in the living room. :)

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So easy it is almost funny! 4 screws on the underside, remove the little caps in the door sill to access the 4 screws on the top, pull them off. The only pics I have of of mine sitting in the living room. :)

Tony, if those are the instructions for a Gen III then I am confused. Are you not forgetting those 2 up in the side pocket (the one in front can be more than a little pain).

Reaction score
Cris.....Sorry about that!! I get to moving pretty quick and really didn't pay attention to what forum I was in! :( Sorry. :) I'll be carrying my sorry a...butt back to the right forum. :)

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cris is right. The two bolts up in the vent are very, very tough. Especially the one farthest in. Unless you have tiny little hands it is a bear to get to. Fortunately these two bolts don't have to be removed, just loosened.

Other than that, removing the sills is easy. A 5-10 minute job - then another 15 just to loosen that front nut.

Dirk

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust Me! Take it from someone who just installed his own Corsa Track system. Take a few extra minutes and remove the inner fender liner to remove the 10mm bolt located in the front of the sill cover. It only takes a few minutes to loosen the fender liner and push it out of the way to give you have clear access to the bolt. You won't regret it and your neighbors kids won't learn all kinds of new words.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut a round 1/1/2" inch hole into the wheel well cover (plastic) adjacent to the 10MM hidden bolt nut(closest to Front wheel). I subsequently placed a rubber plug bought from PeP boys designed for foot well drainage. By turning the front wheel away from the sill area, I can put a 10MM spaner and remove the bolt nut.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cris.....Sorry about that!! I get to moving pretty quick and really didn't pay attention to what forum I was in! Sorry. I'll be carrying my sorry a...butt back to the right forum.
:laugh: :headbang:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's so easy a Texan can do it.

Screw Locations:

Remove plastic covers over the sill to get access to the top screws:

Be careful installing the screws, they strip easily. Also consider joining the VCA, there's a wealth of how-to write ups in the Illustrated Section waiting for you.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On red cars you'll find that half of the screws are already missing due to the significant speed difference of red cars to yellow cars. They literally blow out, whereas with a yellow car, with top speed of <100, screws are safe!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On red cars you'll find that half of the screws are already missing due to the significant speed difference of red cars to yellow cars. They literally blow out, whereas with a yellow car, with top speed of <100, screws are safe!

LMAO... :rolaugh:

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug Levin charged me fu-king $400 to remove my side sills. According to him it took him 2 hours per side to remove.

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug Levin charged me fu-king $400 to remove my side sills. According to him it took him 2 hours per side to remove.
2 hours per side seems like a long time but is does take quite a while by the time you get it on the lift, get out the proper tools, may want to remove front tire just to have more room to unscrew inner fender, several screws on the bottom side, about 4 on door sill and the 2 you can't get at very well in the vent.

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Screw Locations:

Be careful installing the screws, they strip easily. Also consider joining the VCA, there's a wealth of how-to write ups in the Illustrated Section waiting for you.

Thanks Tony for the info AND the pictures ! :2tu:

Would you happen to have pictures of an SRT10 as well ?! :D

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:rolaugh: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Thanks Dave, you really know how to get my day started with a good laugh.:2tu:

Ron

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Screw Locations:

Tony
How did you get those Gen2 sills and doors on an SRT?... :dunno: ;);)

We call it..."Viper Tax"..... :smirk:

jackblaha

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Trust Me! Take it from someone who just installed his own Corsa Track system. Take a few extra minutes and remove the inner fender liner to remove the 10mm bolt located in the front of the sill cover. It only takes a few minutes to loosen the fender liner and push it out of the way to give you have clear access to the bolt. You won't regret it and your neighbors kids won't learn all kinds of new words.

Just did it as well, and I second Vegas Guy's recomendation. The Corsa instructions say the wheel well path is an alternative...go that way first. I still have no clue how anyone goes through the vent hole and gets that bolt.

30 minutes per sill is a good average...45 minutes for the first one, 15 for the other after you've figured it out. Then do Art's suggesstion...

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Putting them back on is harder than taking them off. If possible, try and have a friend around when it's time to put them back on. I did it by myself but it's not ideal that way.

Reaction score

Danny,

The cost to remove your side sills was not $400.00.

We removed and replaced clamps, test tubes, rewelded and reset the exhaust. We set the exhaust tips to properly exit the sill cover outlets so they may expand proportionately with heat and still stay aligned with the outlets.

If the exhaust is "stock" the removal of the side sills is straight forward. However, when you modify the exhaust and remove the factory crossover, it takes 2 - 3 times more time to set and weld the exhaust so the tips can properly exit the side sill outlets; you remove and replace the side covers multiple times as required.

Regards,
Doug

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny,

The cost to remove your side sills was not $400.00.

We removed and replaced clamps, test tubes, rewelded and reset the exhaust. We set the exhaust tips to properly exit the sill cover outlets so they may expand proportionately with heat and still stay aligned with the outlets.

If the exhaust is "stock" the removal of the side sills is straight forward. However, when you modify the exhaust and remove the factory crossover, it takes 2 - 3 times more time to set and weld the exhaust so the tips can properly exit the side sill outlets; you remove and replace the side covers multiple times as required.

Regards,
Doug

Doug is right about sills going on and off a few times to get tips in the right place. I need to remove one side again to try to get it right.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think for that price I'll get a mobile van and travel around the country to remove side sills!!! Any inquires PM me.... lol

[email protected]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was going to install Kooks exhaust system with Corsa mufflers myself. But after reading this I think $600.00 from ART is not a bad price for the install.

May the Pit Viper smile on all

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang