how hard/expensive to change Connolly interior to black?

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used the search, and got everything BUT an answer to this question.

I'm looking at a GTS with the Connolly interior, which I cant stand. How expensive do you think it would be to change it to black. I'm assuming I'd have to purchase 2 seats, sterring wheel, 2 door covers, the 2 piceces below the steering wheel and passenger air bag, etc , etc.

Is there a cheaper way? If not I guess I need a ballpark figure to get this done, to add to the price of the Viper.

Thanks!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the center console. No, actually you can get most of these things recovered in leather/vinyl. I have the cognac interior in mine but I redone my center console & the bottom of my doors (I hated that cheap looking cognac carpet) in black & they both look just like they came from the factory like that. The seats are around $750 ea. (used) if you want to buy them, I would think that you could get them recovered alot cheaper than that & the doors the same way. I didn't really hate the cognac but I think it looks better with a lil' more black in there, but I definitely don't want all black, I don't think they look that good all black (at least on my steel gray car). jmo

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you change everything out, I will buy all your connolly stuff. I'd love to see a Connolly interior in a red Viper.

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A swap would be good.....but I'm not quite at the buying stage yet.....might be a bit before I get there...but i wanted to know my options. I will keep you in mind if I do get one with the Connolly interior...I guess we would just be paying for shipping then:)

CRAAAAAAP.......looks like someone already put a deposit down on it............

Last edited:

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been slowly converting my 95 over from the gen 1 diarrhea brown to black. I dyed the dash, console and door panels with Mar-Hyde, got a good used carpet for 175, and all that is left are the seats. I've got a guy who will do them for 200 and repair the drivers bolster. I might give that a shot and see how it looks, if it doesn't turn out, I will spring for some embroidered seat covers.

The Mar-Hyde has held up amazingly well, just prep it good, and you should have no trouble.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This looks GREAT!!!

attachment.php

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just buy a car thats already the way you want it? Just curious to your thinking :) ---

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Conolly went out of business a few years ago.

yup,

according to wikki:

Connolly Leather was for over 125 years, an Irish family run company in Britain supplying highly finished leather primarily to car manufacturers. The term is also used to describe the particular brand of leather itself, when fitted in a car interior.

Connolly supplied most if not all of the leather for the British car industry, including but not limited to Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar, TVR, and MG-Rover (which under its umbrella includes Land Rover, Range Rover, Rover cars, and MG) as well as non-British makes including Lexus, Ferrari. This leather was also used for the seats in the Supermarine Spitfires used in World War 2.

In addition to car upholstery, Connolly Leather has been used in the manufacture of high-end audio loudspeakers such as the B&W Signature 800 series as an expression of the quality and luxury status of the item. Connolly Leather was also used in other products: even "retro" transistor radios from British manufacturer Roberts.

Connolly leather gained such prominence in the world of luxury travel including private jets and yachts, that it was selected for such high profile projects as the Concord and the luxury liner, Queen Elizabeth II. Connolly also reached the world of interiors and design, with Mies Van Der Rohe's original Barcelona chairs upholstered with Connolly leather as well as the benches in Britain's Houses of Parliament together with many other parliaments around the world. Connolly earned a Royal Warrent, being appointed Leather Tanners and Curriers to Queen Elizabeth II.

The family started a retail business, Connolly Luxury Leathergoods Limited, selling exclusive and bespoke leather goods and accessories. The business developed a high profile clientele which included celebrities, socialites and industry leaders. Today, Connolly accessory designs can be found in museum around the world.
The company also sold leather-care products (e.g. Connolly Hide-Food); restoring leather is sometimes known as "Connollising", thanks to the reputation of the company.

Although "Connollising" is somewhat shrouded in secret, it basically involves scrubbing down the leather with a cleaner/soap while using a stiff brush (such as a nail brush) or slightly abrasive sponge which thins and removes most of the original surface color & finish. The leather is then moisturized and recolored, bringing it back as close to original condition as possible. Connollising involves the leather surface more than the leather itself. Connollising can not fix cracks or extremely dry leather. Connollising fixes the "wear and tear" of the surface due to typical usage and age (and possibly some neglect).

Although the words "Connollising" and "Connolised" are supposedly legally protected, most restoration companies employ a similar if not the same technique to restore leather and "bring it back to life," except they can not advertise it as "Connollising."

Despite having been in the leather tanning and curing business since 1878, Connolly Leather ceased trading in June 2002.[1]
Although the leather manufacturing company no longer exists, the brand remains as a bespoke retailer in Mayfair and Knightsbridge.[2]
The recipes to Connolly Hide-Food and their Leather-Cleaner have since been sold or licensed and have returned to the market.

color aside, it is superior leather

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a pic of this interior the OP is talking about. I did a search and came up with nothing I saw that wasnt all black ---

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it's superior leather, Could it be dyed black?

Not sure if this pic of the interior will post correctly.
You must be registered for see images attach

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh wow , thanks for the pic ... looks like the guys "cognac" interior above ... whats the difference ... was the Connolly an option for softer leather or something? ---

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the search, and got everything BUT an answer to this question.

I'm looking at a GTS with the Connolly interior, which I cant stand. How expensive do you think it would be to change it to black. I'm assuming I'd have to purchase 2 seats, sterring wheel, 2 door covers, the 2 piceces below the steering wheel and passenger air bag, etc , etc.

Is there a cheaper way? If not I guess I need a ballpark figure to get this done, to add to the price of the Viper.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure this is the Cognac interior that he's talking about! jmo

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so i didn't read the thread (yet) other than the op but I'll trade you my black interior straight up or maybe even throw some cash if you're interested. Let me know if you're interested. If you're somewhat close by I'd even be willing to drive a bit and we could do the swap in a day or so.

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys but it looks like someone else already put a deposit on it....so my search continues....

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so i didn't read the thread (yet) other than the op but I'll trade you my black interior straight up or maybe even throw some cash if you're interested. Let me know if you're interested. If you're somewhat close by I'd even be willing to drive a bit and we could do the swap in a day or so.

Damn, too bad you aren't close to me, my GF isn't a fan of the cognac interior so a straight trade for black would have been great! heeh

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be so quick to dismiss the idea spike. Pm sent. Anyone else interested in a swap incase it doesn't work out with spike?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I hated my black interior so I bought my connolly as a
package deal from X2. That being said, I'm sure they (or
Scharf, or JonB) can hook you up with a complete black
set for fairly cheap.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hated my black interior so I bought my connolly as a
package deal from X2. That being said, I'm sure they (or
Scharf, or JonB) can hook you up with a complete black
set for fairly cheap.
I know Scharf or X2 can but I can almost guarantee you its NOT gonna be Fairly Cheap! JonB, if he has it would most likely have the better price! jmo!