How hard is it to change plug wires on a Gen II?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know changing the plug wires on my Gen I is very tight at the back of the engine (lots of scraped knuckles).
I was wondering if the Gen II's are easier, I would think that there is alittle more room because of where the coils are.
Not sure, could someone enlighten me before I start this project.
Thank you!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More room - make sure to remove the windshield cowl - make life a lot easier.

2nd that. Easier than I thought. I spent more time doing a search on here trying to figure out how to do it than I did actually changing the wires.

However do a search because there is a way spelled out on here step by step, but I guess if you have done it before then it should be a snap.

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was surprised how easy it was once the windshield cowl was out of the way. Get a pair of mechanics’ gloves, they will save you skin!
Dale

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did mine last week for the first time, carefully pull the cowl as above and hit them one by one from whatever side is closest, I did most from the drivers side and 3 or 4 from the pass side. Have to dig in deep with the forearm with this 200+ pounders arms. Left some marks that I'll chalk up as bonding/branding marks!!

30 min job or so for a first timer, no big deal!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not too bad once winshield cowl was removed. every time i biitched i just reminded myself what a delearship wouldve ***** me to do the same job.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did mine last week for the first time, carefully pull the cowl as above and hit them one by one from whatever side is closest, I did most from the drivers side and 3 or 4 from the pass side. Have to dig in deep with the forearm with this 200+ pounders arms. Left some marks that I'll chalk up as bonding/branding marks!!

Ahhh...I know that well. If you don't at least make a small blood sacrifice on whatever you're doing then what's the point? ;)

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed 100% Nexus, blood and tears I don't mind.

What I do mind is the POR15 heat coating a hit the inside of my sills (both side sills and interior sill) to help with the heat issue. Quite a bit went thry my gloves and the stuff is stuck there, over a week now.

Tried the usual nail polish remover, naptha gas, gas, turpintine, you name it, nothing.

Started to remove a few layers of skin with a pumice stone until I started bleeding from lack of skin, that worked to get rid of the paint!!!

if it was any other car, haha........

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
My plug wires came in the other day (Mopar Hi-Perf 8.5mm) and they were grey not blue like my other ones for my 94 RT.
Well I want the blue ones (for looks of coarse). The guy at the dealership said they are the hi-perf just in grey, ***.
Has Mopar made a change? Or as usual is my local yocal talkin trash again?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte