How hard is it to get the gas cover off??

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
on my 02 gts it needs a good polishing and I bought a viper emblem to install on it, wondering how hard it is to get it off to clean it up.. thanks guys!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gas cap Is easy to get off. Slightly harder to get back on though not hard. There is a trick (outlined in a thread I wrote a long time ago with pix) which involves using a coat hanger with a hook bent in it to thread through the hole on the filler tube so you can pull it up around the gas cap snugly before rebolting it back in place. Not hard but you have to use the hole in the filler tube otherwise you'll never get enough leverage on it to rejoin it with the gas cap.

Talon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Happy,

I installed a new gas cap on my viper about a month after I bought it. It's actually easy given the right tools.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is actually the gas cap kit I put on. It comes with a filler neck puller which as Drumr points out is something of a hooked hanger (although they provide a real genuine puller that makes like SOOO easy. It's a solid piece of pulled aluminum. http://www.mgwltd.com/viper_gts_gascap.shtml

With that tool, getting the old one off and the new one on was maybe a 30 minute job and that's with all the wandering around and careful poking. The actual task of getting it back on was maybe 5 minutes. It would have been a tough job though without the tool. If a coat hanger works then have at it. Be sure not to puncture the hose though. Also a light bit of appropriate grease helps it slide on.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acquiring the tool Is probably the way to go unless It takes a week to get and you want to do It right now. I actually bent
a hook In a steel barbeque skewer which Is more rigid than a coat hanger and
did work well. Good luck with It!

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great thanks a lot guys mine is corroded up a bit!! See if I cAn get something to clean it up!!