How many of you carry a fire extinguisher? Saw a brutual car fire today :(

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I felt bad for the lady. It was a late 90's Caddy STS and the engine bay was engulfed in flames and smoke, by the time the fire dept got there it was toast, literally.

I know there especially is some issues someone told me about with the power steering cap coming off and starting a fire, etc. which got me to thinking after I saw the helpless lady watching and waiting on the FD. People were stopped trying to help but there was nothing they could do b/c no one had an extinguisher. Man if I would have had one I would have used it and hopefully saved the car from total loss. Funny a $20.00 extinguisher could have prevented at BEST CASE SCENARIO a new Northstar V8, but I'm sure the car will be scrapped.

So I'm thinking about putting one in all my cars after this and wanted to see what some of you do. :dunno:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That looks nice, is it so expensive b/c of the "clean agent" formula? Just comparing it to a regular one that size I have in the garage is all.

redrichard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always have a fire extinguisher in every car , for the Viper a gym bag works well for all the crap like front plate , leatherman, first aid kit ect. I seen a few car fires street and strip very scary.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks nice, is it so expensive b/c of the "clean agent" formula? Just comparing it to a regular one that size I have in the garage is all.

Yep. I did some research and the clean agent extinguishers don't require nearly the amount of service checks a dry chemical extinguisher does. I can't find the site that I used for research, sorry. I got lucky and bought mine from the VCA classifieds. Paid $50 shipped!

You'd prob be fine with a home type extinguisher, but the bracket that come with the Roe's is really convenient and easy to mount in the car.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt bad for the lady. It was a late 90's Caddy STS and the engine bay was engulfed in flames and smoke, by the time the fire dept got there it was toast, literally.

I know there especially is some issues someone told me about with the power steering cap coming off and starting a fire, etc. which got me to thinking after I saw the helpless lady watching and waiting on the FD. People were stopped trying to help but there was nothing they could do b/c no one had an extinguisher. Man if I would have had one I would have used it and hopefully saved the car from total loss. Funny a $20.00 extinguisher could have prevented at BEST CASE SCENARIO a new Northstar V8, but I'm sure the car will be scrapped.

So I'm thinking about putting one in all my cars after this and wanted to see what some of you do. :dunno:

I honestly never saw the need in getting one, but wouldn't be against it! I was actually also told about the power steering cap coming off and starting a fire from Gary Almond when he first delivered my car to me 3 years ago. Because of this, I'm super anal about it. So considering if I'm not driving my car the battery tender is always hooked up to it, therefore before I even drive it, I always check that cap about 3 or 4 times to make sure its on tightly before I even turn the car on. :smirk:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Costanzo, I check as well before each drive, but seeing this fire today, I felt powerless to help, hell I was and so was everyone else. I mean when I first rolled up it was belching smoke bad, and within 30 seconds flames, but I'm sure when it first happened she could have popped the hood and hit it with an extinguisher and saved huge repair bills and in some cases, possibly a life (if someone was trapped in the car or soemthing).

I'm definately getting one after seeing this, it was scary man, I looked on amazon and here is a small one that is cheap as hell and made to be carried in autos:

Amazon.com: First Alert Auto Fire Extinguisher: Home Improvement

I don't know does that look any good?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad everyone is ok/ glad another pos used old caddy off the road= only the new ones should b alowed.

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a small one that I've carried around now for about three years because of that very reason. I always kept it sorta hidden in the Lightning but will be keeping it out in the open in the viper. I think it looks kinda cool in there and I feel better after seeing how much heat comes through the hood vent when you are setting at a stop light. Definately not used to that yet.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u really only need it if your on the track or you r constantly tweeking on you modified car. a stocker is not needed, kinda like carrying a gun, really? do you really need a gun.? maybe if your in the hood alot

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Costanzo, I check as well before each drive, but seeing this fire today, I felt powerless to help, hell I was and so was everyone else. I mean when I first rolled up it was belching smoke bad, and within 30 seconds flames, but I'm sure when it first happened she could have popped the hood and hit it with an extinguisher and saved huge repair bills and in some cases, possibly a life (if someone was trapped in the car or soemthing).

I'm definately getting one after seeing this, it was scary man, I looked on amazon and here is a small one that is cheap as hell and made to be carried in autos:

Amazon.com: First Alert Auto Fire Extinguisher: Home Improvement

I don't know does that look any good?

You make a valid point, although a couple of those fire extinguisher setups like the one on the Roe site seem a bit expensive for something most likely you will never use... but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm sure if I saw the fire like you did, I would probably be worried and feel the same way about getting one. The one from amazon seems fine as long as it will do the trick. Although, I'd probably rather save up some money and purchase the one from Roe.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a small one that I've carried around now for about three years because of that very reason. I always kept it sorta hidden in the Lightning but will be keeping it out in the open in the viper. I think it looks kinda cool in there and I feel better after seeing how much heat comes through the hood vent when you are setting at a stop light. Definately not used to that yet.

Where is yours mounted in the Viper? Pic? Thanks.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many years ago in Panama City Beach (20 years?), my dad's car caught fire. "Luckily" it caught fire in front of a pizza joint. An employee inside saw the fire and came running out with their fire extinguisher. It burned long enough to do some damage, but thanks to the pizza joint, it wasn't a total.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please do some investigation as to what is a recommended safe proceedure to follow if using a extiguisher for a car fire. I myself am ignorant as to what proceedure to follow but....I don't know if you want to " pop the hood and hit it with an extinguisher" and certainly would not recommend it for the average 'lady driving a caddy'.

I would be afraid of a huge flare-up caused by lifting the hood ...thusly adding additional air/oxygen :omg:

Yes I do carry a extiguisher( Roe?) in the Viper . It is mounted with a custom bracket which bolts to the frt on the pass seat.... it is small and I would think it would be better to use a much larger size ( too large to carry in the vehicle)

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can see the benefit, if not for my car then for helping someone else like today. I thought about how you would get the hood open and at the point it was at I probably wouldn't have for the very reason of "adding more 02 to the fire", but if you catch it early, in yours or another persons it would be much better to have then to be standing there saying "wish I had one" at least IMO :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
cfiiman, don't "cheap-out" on me now.. Go Roe !! :)

Seriously, Sean's bracket and unit are easy to mount (just remove the two front seat-to-floor bolts on the passenger seat, slide the bracket into place, rebolt seat), and essy for the Viper Driver to reach quickly (seconds count in a fire).

And, YES...we have these units in all of our Vipers..."BE PREPARD" !!!

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is yours mounted in the Viper? Pic? Thanks.

I don't have a pic of the fire extinguisher mounted yet, but I'll post one up shortly. It sits on the left side of the passanger compartment and can be reached fairly easy.

u really only need it if your on the track or you r constantly tweeking on you modified car. a stocker is not needed, kinda like carrying a gun, really? do you really need a gun.? maybe if your in the hood alot

Not true. I bet if you asked that lady or anyone that has had or been part of a car fire while daily driving they would tell you a diferent story.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The "power steering caps falling off and causing fires" is an urban legend in the Viper community, and I feel obligated to say so [for the bazillionth time.] DONT carry an extinguisher for the PS cap....TIGHTEN THE CAP ! Carry the extinguisher for electrical/fuel issues/accident issues

Just last nite 830pm I grabbed the one in my Dakota and began to respond to a truck-fire 1.5 blocks away on a forest road. Before I had the bottle, that truck exploded in a Loud WHOOOMPH, quickly followed by 2 more. Shook my house. My bottle would have been useless. Then, ammunition went off inside of it! A gas can was sitting 10 feet away, and a lighted flare on the ground it between. Arson. Burned /Melted to the ground.

But I do feel sorry for the CaddyLady

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "power steering caps falling off and causing fires" is an urban legend in the Viper community, and I feel obligated to say so [for the bazillionth time.] DONT carry an extinguisher for the PS cap....TIGHTEN THE CAP ! Carry the extinguisher for electrical/fuel issues/accident issues

Just last nite 830pm I grabbed the one in my Dakota and began to respond to a truck-fire 1.5 blocks away on a forest road. Before I had the bottle, that truck exploded in a Loud WHOOOMPH, quickly followed by 2 more. Shook my house. My bottle would have been useless. Then, ammunition went off inside of it! A gas can was sitting 10 feet away, and a lighted flare on the ground it between. Arson. Burned /Melted to the ground.

But I do feel sorry for the CaddyLady

Jon, didn't you used to sell a fire extinguisher on your site? I sware I thought I remember seeing a picture of one within the inventory listed on your site....I just looked before and didn't see one, so I thought I'd ask.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would never carry an extinguisher. I DONT WANT A HALF BURNT CAR !!!

PS: roe has the nicest one ive seen

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a small kitchen extinguisher I swap between my project cars. I also take it when going on long road trips.

A few years ago I lost control of my 65 Mustang and hit the center divide on the highway. The fenders pinch my doors shut and smoke started building up fron under my hood. I crawled out of the window and some passerby handed me their extinguisher.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i have to say if I had a clean agent fire extinguisher that cost $250 and your car is burning and I dont personally know you and you and your passengers are not trapped or on fire, I'm going to pat you on the back and say "glad your alive, your insurance will take care of you"

BTW its absolutely not recommended to attempt to put out a car fire unless someones life is in danger. You could be killed or your legs cut off if the front bumper compressed cylinders blow off. Or as Jon found out gas or ammunition decides to go boom

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 1975 Jensen Interceptor conv. It was all original. It had the fire ext. in the trunk. One day I say flames coming out of my vents in the hood and opened the trunk and after 25 years it worked and saved that big 440 and nice car........so, not bad to have one just in case. It was power steering fluid dripping down on some old:2tu: wrappings.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 1975 Jensen Interceptor conv. It was all original. It had the fire ext. in the trunk. One day I say flames coming out of my vents in the hood and opened the trunk and after 25 years it worked and saved that big 440 and nice car........so, not bad to have one just in case. It was power steering fluid dripping down on some old:2tu: wrappings.

Well maybe now after all this talk I'll invest in a fire extinguisher sometime this summer. :smirk:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would never carry an extinguisher. I DONT WANT A HALF BURNT CAR !!!

PS: roe has the nicest one ive seen

I kind of see the point of carrying a fire extinguisher to use IF you catch the fire before it really starts. Otherwise, I agree with Plum. I would rather have it totaled and get a new one vs having to try to completely fix a burnt car (and deal with the smell).

A gun is a different story. You'll be hard pressed to catch me sober without at least one gun on me. I'll take repairing myself after being injured if it prevents ME from being totaled out!:2tu: