How much to remove to pull cam?

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at changing out my cam on my 2000 RT/10. It appears that the only way to get the cam out with the engine in the car is to pull the front fascia and the AC condensor (radiator). I was hoping that I would not have to break the seal on the AC system, but it doesn't look like there is a way for the cam to clear unless I pull the AC condensor out of the car.

Anybody else done this and know the tricks?

Thanks,
Jim

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bend back the bracket or drill the rivits out on top of the a/c condenser. It will move just enough to get the cam out. It's nice to have a cam install tool since it is so long. I made one that breaks down into three sections, add/remove the sections as the cam comes out/in. Have you thought about how you are going to remove the lifters ?

OP
OP
J

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tony. I have the heads off, but have not removed the lifters. Looks like just a single bolt per cylinder to remove the retaining bracket and the lifters will lift out, or is there more to it?

BTW, the service manual says you should change the lifters anytime the cam is replaced. I have heard that not everyone does this. Is this mandatory?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang