How to clean under the hood?

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My motor has accumulated a bit of grime and soot, and I'm not sure what the best way to clean it is. (I'm refering to the red covering of course). I tried just a wet rag (since I wasn't sure of how tolerant that area is to excess water), and it helped a little, but not much.

What do you all use to get your engine area looking its best?

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use tide and water. Spray it down with a garden sprayer, let it soak for a few minutes, wash it off with a cotton cloth, then rinse it. I use a leaf blower to remove the excess water from the intake galley. As a final step, I use Zaino tire treatment on all the underhood parts, even the intake and valve covers. I put it on with a clean cloth, let it sit for a minute or two, the lightly rub/buff it off until dry. Works well because when it dries it doesn't attract dust, and leaves a nice shine. People who have seen my engine compartment can't believe it, it looks better than new, honestly.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Matt----I use 3M glass cleaner and a rag. It will not hurt paint or plastics. You can even use those cheap craft store foam brushes to get into tight areas. I avoid the hose with the Viper at all costs..except for exterior wash.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several use Simple Green, they just "spray" the entire area down,
wipe / drip dry, or "LIGHTLY" rinse with water.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&N filter cleaner works well as a grease remover also. Follow up w/ rinse, dry, and Zaino tire/rubber treatment. Not that I remember, since it's been so long since I cleaned mine! :)