how to empty fuel tank/94 viper

used2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey there: i am new to club, great site, own a red 94 viper from new. here's problem-my car has 300 miles on it, same fuel in tank since 2000, haven't run it in exactly one year. it is nicely stored in my shop and i work out of country so the car sits. i desperately want to pump old fuel out of tank, siphoned most out, still has approx. 1/4 tank showing on gauge. i looked in shop manual and they talk about box or fuel tap on rear of driver's side manifold but i can't find it, etc. anybody have idea on how i can get the rest of this stale gas out of tank to replenish with fresh fuel? thanks much, john lutz/used2havevettes

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The supply line comes up the left side. You need to look under/behind the t-stat housing. It is a rubber line that crosses over to the right middle of the manifold. If you reach back there you should find it.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, you better get it moving around at least a little bit...you need to get the parts moving around.

I'll bet you haven't changed antifreeze or brake fluid either. Need to be done every two years.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The early 92-93 had a tap on the end of the intake manifold log on the driver's side. Your 94 should have the tap up top on the passenger side. It will look like a large tire valve or a small A/C system charge port. The fuel pump will only run for a second or so before shutting off if the engine isn't running. You'll have to directly power the fuel pump to do it this way.

Your problem will not be with the fuel you can pump or siphon out, it will be with the gel or gums (if any formed) that you can't pump out. Rather than pump the fuel through all the filters and screens, siphoning out through the filler neck might be a better start.

A can of fuel system cleaner won't help much, either, as the jello in the tank is oxidized fuel and you can't un-oxide it.

Then your best hope is to dissolve and dilute what's left behind with fresh fuel. It may be hard to start, because either the fuel line has drained (and you need to turn the key to run/off/run/off many times,) or the low volatility of the gasoline entering the combustion chamber will result in droplets rather than a mist.

Once you get it started, it may need help to idle. I've seen this with cars that use race gas and have only sat for a month. Therefore, not to worry about poor idle until it is well warmed up.

If you suspect something got plugged, add a gallon of methanol, stir well, and try again. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21