How to get a test drive?

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Did a little searching and came up with nothing. I'm buying my first "dream car" this winter, which will either be a Gen 3 Viper or a C6 Z06. Before you tell me I can't handle it, I've DD'd a manual transmission and DD'd a 400wtq car without any aids other than ABS. Don't get me wrong, I respect the Viper bite. I'm just saying I've read it all before.

So here is my problem. I think the best part of the Viper experience must be the raw feeling it gives while driving it, and I don't think I can make a fully informed decision without actually driving both of these cars first. I think it will be hard to get a test drive from a dealer or an individual seller for a few reasons:

1. Again, the Viper bite. Most people have no concept of respecting the throttle and the instant torque.

2. The cost/rarity of the car. I'm sure they don't want to put miles on it or risk losing it in a crash to Joe Schmoe Tirekicker.

3. My age. I'm 26, and have plenty of saved for the car. I plan on paying cash. However, I've heard of younger potential buyers being denied test drives because the dealer doesn't think the guy/girl can afford it.

So here's my question: What can I do to maximize the chances of getting a test drive? As you know, Vipers for sale aren't everywhere so I really would like to avoid driving 100 miles just to see a Viper and not get to try it.

PS: I blame Andy/FLATOUT for planting this seed in my head when he gave me a ride a few years ago in MD. Thanks buddy. :D

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slayer
You are correct on all accounts as to why a seller will deny buyer a test drive. Although I understand your rationale. With a private buyer you might persuade them by giving them a cashiers check for the purchase price with written agreement the purchase is final should you damage the car with return of check if car safely returned and you don't want to purchase.
PAVenomRT/10

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Proving you have the money helps. I bought mine last year when I was 25, they wouldn't let me test drive it until I proved I had the money to cover the down payment I promised, along with proof from the bank that I was accepted for the loan for the remaining balance.

From a private seller, it is going to be case by case. Personally if it was me selling, I'd take you for a ride in it, but don't think I'd let you drive it. Age has nothing to do with it for me since I'm about the same age as you, but you can't tell a person's driving experiance just by looking at them. It doesn't take much to go sideways in a Viper. On my test drive I thought the car salesman was going to **** his pants when I was testing out the suspension and handling.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a tough economy, if you have the money and can prove it, I'm sure some guys will take a chance and let you drive.

I only took a few short test drives and here is what I didn't know until owning one:

1. The seats ****. They **** so bad that I need to pay a fortune to have them completely redone. Any other car that costs more the $20,000 new has fully adjustable seats, the Viper only has forward/backward and recline.
2. On the short test drive I didn't realize that the clutch was worn out. I didn't expect it to be as the car in question only had 9000 miles.
3. The seating position is low and viability is not that great. but thankfully I'm used to that now.

I have not driven a C6 Z06, but I have driven an auto Grand Sport. To me the Corvette is a regular car, and the Viper is special. That's hard for me to say because I really am a Corvette lover.

Remember that on a test drive you are driving someone else's car. This is true with any car, but as you well know, a Viper can quickly kill you and the owner.

~Jay

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You will likely have a very difficult time with any of the larger Dealers in the US getting a test drive in a new Viper. Virtually none of them will do that ( we have not done a single new vehicle test drive since 1999) , but most have used Vipers they will go along with you on. Your age is not an issue, as quite a few buyers get their first Viper while in their 20s.

I will make a minor comment on the seats though, coming from someone who had a bad back injury , and that is that most Corvette owners rave about how much better the sear support is than the Chevy's. Granted it is not power , so adjustment is less, but comfort and holding you firm around a corner, the Viper wins hands down.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should find one to rent. I did that before I purchased. It's the best way.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
RENT ONE.

Back in early 1993 I drove my Lotus Esprit Turbo to 2 dealers and flew to another who would not even let me SIT in one!
I had hoped the Lotus would help qualify me. It did not. Since, I bought ALL my new Vipers (and a few used) without any test drive..... but I needed to SIT in one. WHERE ARE YOU? I bet this site can snag you a sit or a ride?

As Bill P says, find a used one, and maybe go for a RIDE.... and a test-sit in the drivers seat.

Back in 93-99, I worked with our local dealer to give TRACK RIDES...in exchnage for a donation to our Children's Hospital. The dealer right away knew that if a tire-kicker would not make a $100 tax-deductible donation for a ride, he would NOT buy a Viper! One buyer flew in from JAPAN and hired a translator....another was a Delta pilot who flew in from ATL. Both Purchased.....

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the test drive, hard to arrange anyway, just trust us. The Viper is awesome, buy one you won't be sorry.

^^^ This, never even stood next to one running until I flew from TX to Fresno to look at one ..... Since 1989, I just knew I had to have one, I figured I could get used to the quirks (if any) of my dream car soon enough! Fortunately, Marv let my wife and I drive it, even after letting him know the last standard transmission car we drove was a 1.8 Ltr. ****** a decade prior.

One word: WOW

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't let anyone test drive my Viper if I was selling it.

On the other hand I had never driven a Viper until the day I picked up my 2008 Viper ACR.

As far as the seats, I will echo Bill Pemberton's comments. If I could trade anything between my ZR1 and the ACR I would put the Viper seats in the ZR1.

OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far! I filled in my location...I'm in Maryland just north of DC.

Renting one sounds like a good idea, though I do wish the $400 per day for that could go toward purchasing the car itself. I think that's what I'll do if I don't have any luck getting a test drive. It certainly would give me a better idea of what the car is like than only a few minutes with the car.

Basically I've had my heart set on the Z06, but the Viper has been a poster on my wall since it's existed and I'd like to give it the opportunity to change my mind. I love the no subtlety nature of the car, and I love that it's a ******** car that comes in a convertible. The 'Vette can't really say either of those things. Hope this helps you guys understand that renting is going to be my last resort if everything else fails.

Also, please don't turn this into a Corvette vs. Viper thread. There are plenty of threads like that on this forum. Besides, I love them both. :)

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Z06 is fast, and a great car but I started to get bored with vettes. I negotiated the deal on a Viper via phone, I never so much as sat in one prior. The dealer shipped the car to my house and after watching it pull off the carrier... there was no doubt. The first drive after ownership confirmed what I already knew. Hands down, Viper is in a different league.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find someone that has a Viper and have them take you on a spirited ride. If you go to a track event you can almost always get a ride.

Bruce

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use to work at a GM dealership, had my mind set on a 2008 Z-06, smooth ride,cruse,ride control, easy in & and out but I HATE WORKING ON THEM. Fuel pump.head bolts. tranny. everything. So I got an 06 and never look back . Also vetts are everywhere, I see 10 a day, as vipers only seen 3 this year on the road.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never drove a Viper until I bought mine.

I just knew I wanted it no matter what!

OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, thank you for the help everyone. I'm surprised at how welcoming you guys are. :)

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, thank you for the help everyone. I'm surprised at how welcoming you guys are. :)

The Viper has a very small (comparatively) owner group, but they are fiercely loyal and helpful with the car, and some of its unique ownership traits. I think it shows on the forum and in person at the VCA events...best car club I've been around!

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Z06 is fast, and a great car but I started to get bored with vettes. I negotiated the deal on a Viper via phone, I never so much as sat in one prior. The dealer shipped the car to my house and after watching it pull off the carrier... there was no doubt. The first drive after ownership confirmed what I already knew. Hands down, Viper is in a different league.

What he said, except that I had sat in one here in Houston, but it was silver (and they wouldn't let me test drive it because I told them I was not interested in the silver, just wanted a closer look, so I could not blame them too much), and I wanted a copperhead or a black gen 3 SRT roadster. I negotiated over the phone, shipped it here, the first time I drove a viper was 2 days ago when they dropped it off. As far as the seats go, I love them. They hug you. I am 5'8" and 200 lbs (ie not skinny), and I fit perfectly into the seat. Getting in and out of the seat without burning your leg is a slight chore, but the car is awesome. I test drove one c6 z06, and really it had just as much road noise as the viper. It was easier to get into and out of, and it was a beautiful car, just wanted the viper. Get one, you will love it. Some people thought I was a bit weird for buying a car without ever test driving one, but hey, when you are buying something like a viper, what can you do?

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've wanted a Viper since the 90s but never saw 1 up close. A co worker bought a C5 and was trying to convince me into getting a Vette instead of a Viper. It was tempting, and by looking Just at the vette I almost gave in. Once I finally got to take a look at a Viper ( the 1 I bought ) the vette seemed like a Neon in comparison.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm, that is interesting, I negotiated the price over the phone with a dealer a couple hundred miles away, I never even "thought" they wouldn't let me test drive it, I just assumed I would being that I was spending that much money. When I got there he just said "take it", I said "aren't you coming" and he said "nope", if a dealer wouldn't let me drive something that I could afford to buy I'd tell them to shove it, but I guess I can see people just wanting to joy ride, interesting thread.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the best part of the Viper experience must be the raw feeling it gives while driving it,
I actually think it's rather tame at slow speeds and daily driving kinds of conditions. But put your foot in it and...Oh Yeah!

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RENT ONE.

Back in early 1993 I drove my Lotus Esprit Turbo to 2 dealers and flew to another who would not even let me SIT in one!
I had hoped the Lotus would help qualify me. It did not. Since, I bought ALL my new Vipers (and a few used) without any test drive..... but I needed to SIT in one. WHERE ARE YOU? I bet this site can snag you a sit or a ride?

As Bill P says, find a used one, and maybe go for a RIDE.... and a test-sit in the drivers seat.

Back in 93-99, I worked with our local dealer to give TRACK RIDES...in exchnage for a donation to our Children's Hospital. The dealer right away knew that if a tire-kicker would not make a $100 tax-deductible donation for a ride, he would NOT buy a Viper! One buyer flew in from JAPAN and hired a translator....another was a Delta pilot who flew in from ATL. Both Purchased.....

i wouldnt pay a 100 bucks to test drive anything. ive owned 4 vipers.
find a dealer who has a used one and if he wont let you drive it, call another one.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the first viper i got to test drive. But i knew i wanted it. I had the same problem alot have, no one would let me take one out. Not even with them coming with me. But when i found mine the guy a really cool guys I went to look at it first. Then talked to him on the phone a couble times getting everything worked out, and back ground checks on the car. When i went to look at it the second time he let me take it out. He drove first. Then we switched seats on the way back to his house. When we got back, he told my brother inlaw (my mechanic) to hop in. He let me take it out with out him. I guess at that point it was mine anyways, cause after my first drive in it, i knew i wasn't going home without it.
And the rest is history. I guarantee you won't be disapointed. Vettes are nice but vipers are in a class of their own.
Good luck

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far! I filled in my location...I'm in Maryland just north of DC.

Renting one sounds like a good idea, though I do wish the $400 per day for that could go toward purchasing the car itself. I think that's what I'll do if I don't have any luck getting a test drive. It certainly would give me a better idea of what the car is like than only a few minutes with the car.
........ renting is going to be my last resort if everything else fails.

Slayer, LOTS of VA-MD Viper population here on the site. Maybe someone here Gen III can step-up with a ride and a test-fit, and help convert a vette guy near D.C. ?

Dang, we were at VIR just last week with many dozens of Vipers.....could have gotten you a track-ride had you posted earlier.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've spoken via PM...hope to get hooked up this weekend for a ride. I have a coupe though...maybe a local vert owner can step up too!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like our man Hank may take care of you. The Gen 3 was originally designed as a convertible and is very strong with no flex like many convertibles so the only real sensation you will be missing is the open air effect.

You might keep an eye on this forum http://forums.viperclub.org/forums/205-Virginia-Maryland for the next event announcement. I believe it is another lunch in Bel Air in a couple weeks. The schedule should also be here www.vamdviperclub.org

Feel free to stop by one of the events and I would be very surprised if someone will at least not take you for a ride in a convertible and let you sit in it. I would also take Hank up on his offer.

OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slayer, LOTS of VA-MD Viper population here on the site. Maybe someone here Gen III can step-up with a ride and a test-fit, and help convert a vette guy near D.C. ?

Dang, we were at VIR just last week with many dozens of Vipers.....could have gotten you a track-ride had you posted earlier.

That would have been awesome! Whichever car I end up with, HPDE is something I've always been interested in. I've only been down the 1320.

We've spoken via PM...hope to get hooked up this weekend for a ride. I have a coupe though...maybe a local vert owner can step up too!

Thanks again! If you have the time, I'll make the time. :D

Sounds like our man Hank may take care of you. The Gen 3 was originally designed as a convertible and is very strong with no flex like many convertibles so the only real sensation you will be missing is the open air effect.

You might keep an eye on this forum http://forums.viperclub.org/forums/205-Virginia-Maryland for the next event announcement. I believe it is another lunch in Bel Air in a couple weeks. The schedule should also be here www.vamdviperclub.org

Feel free to stop by one of the events and I would be very surprised if someone will at least not take you for a ride in a convertible and let you sit in it. I would also take Hank up on his offer.

Yep, I've always loved no-compromise cars, and I've always loved convertibles. The Viper seems like it lets you have your cake and eat it too. I appreciate the invite to the events...I'll just park my ****** M3 off to the side. ;)

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Basically I've had my heart set on the Z06, but the Viper has been a poster on my wall since it's existed and I'd like to give it the opportunity to change my mind. I love the no subtlety nature of the car, and I love that it's a ******** car that comes in a convertible. The 'Vette can't really say either of those things. Hope this helps you guys understand that renting is going to be my last resort if everything else fails.

Also, please don't turn this into a Corvette vs. Viper thread. There are plenty of threads like that on this forum. Besides, I love them both.

I was in the SAME exact position as you a year ago... I couldn't decide between a Z06 and a Viper. I ended up buying a C6 Z06 with 5k miles. I then modded it to 800 HP, but I still couldn't keep my eye off the SRT10 Vipers. A few months later I sold my Z06 and bought a SRT10 Viper. I love both cars, but by FAR the Viper is far more enjoyable to drive and puts a smile on my face everytime I jump behind the wheel.

And a test drive.... not gonna happen. Unless your a long time customer at a dealer that knows you and knows your a buyer

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I assumed a test drive would be hard to get.

The more I look at Vipers, the more sense it makes to me. I also really like that the motor/driveline could easily take a paxton. I know there are plenty of boosted LS7's out there, but I'd be sweating a blown engine a lot more.