How to get a test drive?

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered mine never sat in one, never drove ,have many other cars and the Viper is the best. Buy one you will be glad you did.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JOHN! Congrats for even being in the market :)! Ryans great and a longtime friend, he'll take great care of you.

You are more than mature enough to handle this car in my opinion. Get one you won't regret it!

Andy Wheeler

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I assumed a test drive would be hard to get.

The more I look at Vipers, the more sense it makes to me. I also really like that the motor/driveline could easily take a paxton. I know there are plenty of boosted LS7's out there, but I'd be sweating a blown engine a lot more.

+1 Exactly. LS7 owners are still in denial about engine reliability. Exhaust valve failure due to the valve guides failing is an under the table issue of drama among the LS7 crowd.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Youre welcome to drive my 'vert.

I'm able to meet you at Race Proven Motorsports whenever you'd like. Can't hurt the car anymore than I would, and I've encountered similar problems being young myself.

OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 Exactly. LS7 owners are still in denial about engine reliability. Exhaust valve failure due to the valve guides failing is an under the table issue of drama among the LS7 crowd.

Yep. I've been watching that closely. Forced induction is risky on them, and it's starting to look like a larger cam may also be.

Youre welcome to drive my 'vert.

I'm able to meet you at Race Proven Motorsports whenever you'd like. Can't hurt the car anymore than I would, and I've encountered similar problems being young myself.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm not really interested getting anywhere near the limits of the vehicle. It's not my car to beat on, and it's not something I'm willing to do without a lot of seat time. I know what it does on paper. I'd just like to get an idea of the feel and driving dynamics. If you're willing to do some spirited driving with me in the passenger seat, then by all means feel free. PM sent. :2tu:

OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I had the pleasure of meeting Ryan and Brian today. Thank you so much for taking the time to come out and discuss vipers with me.

I have to say...after sitting in one and taking a ride, I've been bitten. All the advice I've read is true - you just need to experience one for yourself, and you will understand. I loved the rough ride, the loud exhaust, and the tight cockpit. No BS creature comforts to distract you from the thrill ride driving experience. I now understand how Viper guys say they could never go back to a Vette. I can see how a non-enthusiast would be complaining about the entire car, but that's the point. This car is for enthusiasts. Doing the most mundane cruising was exciting. Somehow it didn't even feel like a car. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it really felt like a different machine. I love it.

I still haven't ridden in a Z06 yet (or driven either...that will come in time)...but I find it very hard to believe that it can match the excitement that the viper offers. Just wow.

It was great to talk to Ryan and get his perspective. I think he's the first person I've talked to who loves the same things about cars that I do. I have the "GM guilt" too. Just getting his experience and how much he enjoys the car really helped me see myself loving a Viper too.

Thanks again!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
See , the best reason to get a Viper is the guys in the MD/VA Club are just great guys/gals and welcome the new blood. You won't want the Vette once you drive it, as great car by why be one of the masses?? Unique, fast , and the last of a breed , to an extent, you will be in a Snake in the near future.

Way to go to all the members who stepped up --- cool example of what Viper owners are really like.

Good weekend to all.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I had the pleasure of meeting Ryan and Brian today. Thank you so much for taking the time to come out and discuss vipers with me.

I have to say...after sitting in one and taking a ride, I've been bitten. All the advice I've read is true - you just need to experience one for yourself, and you will understand. I loved the rough ride, the loud exhaust, and the tight cockpit. No BS creature comforts to distract you from the thrill ride driving experience. I now understand how Viper guys say they could never go back to a Vette. I can see how a non-enthusiast would be complaining about the entire car, but that's the point. This car is for enthusiasts. Doing the most mundane cruising was exciting. Somehow it didn't even feel like a car. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it really felt like a different machine. I love it.

I still haven't ridden in a Z06 yet (or driven either...that will come in time)...but I find it very hard to believe that it can match the excitement that the viper offers. Just wow.

It was great to talk to Ryan and get his perspective. I think he's the first person I've talked to who loves the same things about cars that I do. I have the "GM guilt" too. Just getting his experience and how much he enjoys the car really helped me see myself loving a Viper too.

Thanks again!

He gets it !

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks again!

John - great meeting you today. I'm glad Brian (DaDood) and I could help you in your quest for knowledge! The Viper is an awesome car no doubt, but what I hoped I protrayed to you today was the entire ownership experience is something that cannot be matched...from the owners, to the VCA, to the local events, to even the close connection with Dodge and SRT. It's something I felt like the Vette never could, or would offer.

I'll get you hooked up soon with my buddy with the '09 Z06...it's an awesome car, but it's missing the intangibles that we spoke about today...I think you'll feel the same way after a test ride. Keep in touch, and look forward to helping out in your Viper search in the future...I'm sure of it ;)

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ryan I still remember vividly the same conversations when you came over and sat in my Viper for the first time.:)

Glad you guys had fun and John I knew you would get hooked:) if you start looking make sure you check out Tomball Dodge and the Viperexchange.com. Speak with Bernie Katz and if you find something you like let me know they are right down the street from me here in Texas.

OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See , the best reason to get a Viper is the guys in the MD/VA Club are just great guys/gals and welcome the new blood. You won't want the Vette once you drive it, as great car by why be one of the masses?? Unique, fast , and the last of a breed , to an extent, you will be in a Snake in the near future.

Way to go to all the members who stepped up --- cool example of what Viper owners are really like.

Good weekend to all.

Don't forget yourself! I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and welcome attitude. I was suprised for sure. :)

He gets it !

Yeah! Almost every complaint I've read or heard turned out to be more of a positive for me.

John - great meeting you today. I'm glad Brian (DaDood) and I could help you in your quest for knowledge! The Viper is an awesome car no doubt, but what I hoped I protrayed to you today was the entire ownership experience is something that cannot be matched...from the owners, to the VCA, to the local events, to even the close connection with Dodge and SRT. It's something I felt like the Vette never could, or would offer.

I'll get you hooked up soon with my buddy with the '09 Z06...it's an awesome car, but it's missing the intangibles that we spoke about today...I think you'll feel the same way after a test ride. Keep in touch, and look forward to helping out in your Viper search in the future...I'm sure of it ;)

I think you did a great job portraying the ownership experience. I could tell that you made sure to include all the positive aspects and what most people would see as negative aspects. It also sounded like the VCA is totally worth it...fun events, vendor discounts, etc. That sounds like a must for me. Also, it made me smile to hear you say that you still to go Corvettes at Carlisle. I know I'd want to do the same even if I had a Viper. Thanks for the help...it sounds like you're right. I would say at this point a Viper is more likely. Can't believe I'm saying that. :rolaugh:

Ryan I still remember vividly the same conversations when you came over and sat in my Viper for the first time.:)

Glad you guys had fun and John I knew you would get hooked:) if you start looking make sure you check out Tomball Dodge and the Viperexchange.com. Speak with Bernie Katz and if you find something you like let me know they are right down the street from me here in Texas.

Thanks Andy! I'll definitely check them out. I still blame you for all this originally. We just putted across the parking lot, but the Viper felt special just sitting in it. :usa:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't get to test drive my Viper until I had put 50k down on it and I'm not 27. While the Viper is certainly not considered a super expensive exotic, its expensive enough that dealers don't want the risk of damage or miles on the car to give someone a joy ride. They figure that if you can afford it, you know how the car drives.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never drove a Viper until I bought mine.

I just knew I wanted it no matter what!

Beat me to it.

What does anyone need to test drive a Viper or Vette or any sports car for? You either know what you want or you don't. If you were buying an F1 car or Indy car or NASCAR cup car would you need to test drive them to make your decision?

Rossp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not trying to thread jack here but lets try to clear this up. Exhaust valve failure is common with the LS7s only in rare cases with stock engines. It is more common in motors with big cams in them. For some reason chevy decided to put titanium intake valves in but only sodium filled exhaust valves. A simple swap to a stainless steel exhaust valve clears up this problem. As a C6Z06 owner I can tell you this is not a under the table issue at all. It is clearly outline in several "sticky" threads on corvette forum.

As for forced induction, the LS7 is unreliable under boost because the cylinder walls are very thin. Keep in mind the LS7 is a small block 427, which does not leave a lot of room for anything other than the cylinders. After putting forged upgrades in the LS7, the weak point becomes the block itself. This is also well documented on the forums.

As for the OP, my suggestion is to rent one if you can. It would only cost you 4-500 bucks and you would get an entire day at least to get to know the car, and really explore it.

PS, dont hate me since this is my first post. I have been a lurker for a while and am in the research stage of possibly getting into a 2010 ACR. I love my vette but like many of you have said, there are tons of vettes out there. Not many vipers.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to thread jack here but lets try to clear this up. Exhaust valve failure is common with the LS7s only in rare cases with stock engines. It is more common in motors with big cams in them. For some reason chevy decided to put titanium intake valves in but only sodium filled exhaust valves. A simple swap to a stainless steel exhaust valve clears up this problem. As a C6Z06 owner I can tell you this is not a under the table issue at all. It is clearly outline in several "sticky" threads on corvette forum.

As for forced induction, the LS7 is unreliable under boost because the cylinder walls are very thin. Keep in mind the LS7 is a small block 427, which does not leave a lot of room for anything other than the cylinders. After putting forged upgrades in the LS7, the weak point becomes the block itself. This is also well documented on the forums.

As for the OP, my suggestion is to rent one if you can. It would only cost you 4-500 bucks and you would get an entire day at least to get to know the car, and really explore it.

PS, dont hate me since this is my first post. I have been a lurker for a while and am in the research stage of possibly getting into a 2010 ACR. I love my vette but like many of you have said, there are tons of vettes out there. Not many vipers.

An informative post. Thanks.

OP
OP
S

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah. Unfortunately, I'm not interested in keeping an LS7 stock. Which means that engine failure would always be in the back of my mind...whether it will happen or not. I know the majority of LS7 owners haven't had a failure, but I'd like some peace of mind. Really helps enjoy the car. So that's a plus for the Viper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc