How to heel-toe like a pro

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen that before. Having long legs and thus sitting kind of "bow-legged" in the car, it's very difficult for me to properly heel/toe in the Viper. It was a lot easier in my 350Z, which had more leg room.

Awesome vid though...He pumps that clutch like a horny dog. :laugh:

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They make it look so easy... I've just started practicing the heel/toe myself. It's pretty ugly starting out, but turns out feeling natural after a while.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Very smooth, worth studying.

I've got heel toe down, but double clutching is much harder for me. That technique is for racing transmissions, where there are no synchros, if you don't double clutch them, they will grenade. You can double clutch a synchromesh tranny if you want to, it may help it get in gear easier when shifting hard and fast.

S

SUN RA KAT

I wear size 14 wide shoes and I toe and toe...no room in the Viper to heel and toe. :D

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II takes some practise. You end up using the side of your foot more than the bottom.

The Gen III is very easy, with the closer peddles. But the dead peddle had to go. Kept getting hung up with the clutching.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree with Vic, with the racing transmissions in all the racecars I have driven, you don't use the clutch! Double clutch, no way don't have the time or need it. Maybe it was a very old racecar. Heel and toe is very important though.

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point of heel and toe shifting is to match the rpms of the engine to the rpms of the gear you are downshifting to, thereby not upsetting the balance of the car.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the point of heel-toe shifting is?

Some Japanese auto racing shows will have cameras on the drivers feet, showing how they heel-toe and left foot brake. Very cool.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I disagree with Vic, with the racing transmissions in all the racecars I have driven, you don't use the clutch! Double clutch, no way don't have the time or need it. Maybe it was a very old racecar. Heel and toe is very important though.

Hmm, ok...

I thought most racing trannys had no synchros? If you just jam it into gear, won't you break off gear teeth? I thought double clutching gets the gears spinning up to speed, so when you move the gear shift, it is already spinning, making it an easier mesh with the next gear, as opposed to just taking a stationary gear, meshing it quickly with a spinning gear, and hoping the teeth won't break off or chip. But this is just what I heard, and have no first hand experience with it. So I'm open to info if anyone has it.