How to install hiflow cats?

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Greetings!

First things first: I did make use of the search function but did not succeed in getting clarity on this one.

I am still very new in the Viper Owner's business :) :) :) and there is only very little thing I might want to change on my "basically bone stock" silver 98 RT/10. And this is the exhaust. Not that it completely bothers me but the look of the stock tips just does not match with the awesome look of car as such. Also, I wouldn't mind a bit more volume (not too much) plus lower side sill temps (have yellowed already a bit).

So, after studying the forum here, it became obvious, that I would have to replace the stock cats by hiflow cats plus adding a nice 3" catback system (not yet decided, I have the Corsa and the Mopar system on my short list). Whereas the installation of the catback system seems to be pretty straight forward, I am not quite sure how the installation of the hiflow cats has to be carried out.

Main question here is: If I don't do headers, will I always have to weld in the HF cats (connecting them to the headers)? Or is there also a "bolt on" option? Do I have to remove the headers for this?

If I see it right, the connection between HF cat and catback system is usually "bolt on" (with a clamp), right?

Second question: to remove the old and install the new cats to stock headers, what tools or other supplies/replacement parts are needed?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Holger

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You understand that it will be significantly louder and the exhaust is right under your ear. Should be ok though. You might want to try catless for that hear you a mile away wail. On my GTS. I had a shop make a straight pipe with v band clamps on all ends including headers, and make the cats and pipe with v bands the same length. Takes longer to take the side sills of then to swap in and out the cats. Just a thought. If you use the v band method you can easey in out cats,pipes,mufflers to try different things. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce!

I will definitively not delete the cats, that's just too much (probably way too much) volume! Don't want to bother my neighbourhood too much :omg:

But your hint regarding the clamps and easy swap method is very valuable as I might have to install the stock cats and exhaust every 2 years to pass the technical inspection. Is there any welding required when going for V clamps?

Holger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug Chase