How To: Install new rear speakers in your Gen I (with pics)

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I must admit, I had no idea what I was getting into when I picked up some new rear speakers for my '94. Here's a summary of what I had to go through to install them, hopefully it will help someone out in the future.

First thing you need to know is, in a Gen I, the rear speakers are actually BEHIND the rear console. You can't just pull out the old ones and then drop in new ones. Bit more to it.

1. Remove the speaker grills, they should pry out. Keep in mind that the thick plastic outside ring is not part of the grill.

2. Loosen the two screws that hold on the center console (one on each side, directly next to the side bolsters on the seats). You will need to lift this up slightly to get out the plastic between the seats.

3. Move and tilt the drivers seat as far forward as it can go. Loosen the screws holding the rear console. You will need to unsnap the snaps that connect to the rear glass, and remove those top screws as well.

4. I was unable to get my small screwdriver behind the passenger seat due to its limited travel, so I had to remove it entirely. Remove the seat cushion and the four large bolts that hold down the seat (it should be obvious which four), and the whole thing should lift right out.

5. Get the two screws behind the passenger seat, and the plastic piece behind the seats should lift right out. The screws holding in the actual speakers should now be exposed.

6. Remove the screws holding in the speakers, and then the speakers themselves. I just cut the wires to be able to remove them.

7. Throughly clean the inside and outside of the plastic box that holds the speakers. I used silicone based caulk to seal off the sides and top of the box. The goal here is to make it airtight. I had to do two layers on top of the box due to the width of the gap up there. Allow a day for caulk to throughly dry.

363ViperSpeakerInstall1.jpg

363ViperSpeakerInstall2.jpg

8. Screw in the new speakers in the place of the old ones. I re-used the original screws, and just wound the exposed wires that I had cut around the new speaker's posts. The 6.5" coaxials lined up fine with the original holes and required no adapeters.

9. The new grills, on the other hand, were a different story; they didn't fit at all on either side of the plastic. I ended up reusing the factory grills, which sucked, cause the Alpine grills were pretty cool looking.

10. Re-install the plastic between the seats, and re-install the factory grills. Now reinstall the passenger seat if you had to take it out, and the two screws for the center console (you may have to give it a good push to get it tight with the dashboard again.

11. Ignore the people who say good sound doesn't matter in an RT/10. :)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Matt,

Good info. I have the Sony XPOLD speakers and had the same problem with the speaker grills fitting. They were close, but would not seat down flush. I was able to bevel the outside edge of the grill (only made of plastic) using a sander until they fit perfect.

274Rear_Speakers-med.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness