How to install thermostat and SCT programm

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
I was searching forum and couldn't find any good tips or photos. Basically I ordered the full programming SCT kit from DC Performance that comes with the 170 Thermostat. It has very little info on how to install thermostat or do programming yourself for that matter :(.
Anybody can give me tips on how to install both? But most importantly how to install thermostat? Anybody got a pictures and description of the sequence of what I need to remove to change the thermostat?
On the Programming I understand it should be easier, should be just plug and play, but where in the 05 SRT is the computer to connect SCT module to?

Thank you all!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was searching forum and couldn't find any good tips or photos. Basically I ordered the full programming SCT kit from DC Performance that comes with the 170 Thermostat. It has very little info on how to install thermostat or do programming yourself for that matter :(.
Anybody can give me tips on how to install both? But most importantly how to install thermostat? Anybody got a pictures and description of the sequence of what I need to remove to change the thermostat?
On the Programming I understand it should be easier, should be just plug and play, but where in the 05 SRT is the computer to connect SCT module to?

Thank you all!

Search Dave6666's posts as he has done a t-stat change with detailed pics/ino included in his threads.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the SCT program from Roe, but I just used the preprogramed info. That was easy, the system guides you through the preprogramed stuff very easily.

V10BAT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not gonna be to helpful but the only pics i took before i got to excited and put it back together for a blast.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

As far as i know drain the coolant,take off the air filter box,then the top hose.
i think theres four small tork type bolts on the thermo cover,one of the bottom ones is a fiddle.
remove the cover,pull on the stat,then replace.i replaced the cover gasket as well.
tq the bolts in sequence,if you need this info shout.
i had a problem bleeding the air out when refilling the coolant.
fill up the tank and add as much as poss WITH THE AIR BLEED ****** OPEN.
Nip it up and warm the motor turn off and crack open the ****** slightly ,keep doing this and you should get coolant out of the bleed screw.
dont let coolant get on the drive belt,so the manual tells me.

Did you get a hand held programmer?if yes i would think it plugs in to the diagnostic port under the dash.other guys can help you with that ,or give the guys you got it from
a call.
Hope you get it sorted:2tu: DAVE

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished this upgrade myself and also had trouble getting the coolant to bleed. I ended up filling the radiator directly with the upper coolant hose taken off of the thermostat housing. That got rid of the air lock. Easy way to tell, is the coolant starts to flow out of the thermostat housing.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gen-3/4 cars are easy....

1. Remove Airbox
2. Remove Cross-Brace
3. Remove upper radiator hose
4. Remove 4 screws holding on T-Stat housing
5. Break T-Stat housing away
6. Inspect gasket, remove and replace. If gasket breaks into peices and sticks to housing, heat the housing in an oven to about 300*, and you will be able to pick it away. Another option is a strong solvent... just dont do both at the same time, haha.
7. Install new gasket and thermostat
8. Install and torque screws to 95 in/lbs
9. install radiator hose
10. Install cross brace, torque to 35 ft/lb
11. Install airbox
12. Top off with 50/50 mix, open the bleeder on the top of the T-Stat housing- fill until it overflows. Tighten to 75 in/lbs, and cap off fill tank/clean up.

Done!

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you saying fill through the bleed screw hole?
That makes sense as it's the same as filling through the top rad hose, would probably take a little while though.
No. Fill through the Expansion Tank (Overflow Bottle). The coolant will work its way into the engine from the tank.

Be sure to check the coolant level again once the engine goes through a couple of heat cycles - Top off as necessary.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So are you saying fill through the bleed screw hole?
That makes sense as it's the same as filling through the top rad hose, would probably take a little while though.

No, as pointed out above, you fill through the expansion tank cap. The bleed screw allows the air to escape as the coolant fills the passages in the engine.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, as pointed out above, you fill through the expansion tank cap. The bleed screw allows the air to escape as the coolant fills the passages in the engine.

Makes sense, as that's what the manual says as well, but it wouldn't take it from me.:dunno:
But then again I wouldn't bet the farm that I took the bleeder out completely before I started. May have something to do with my trouble.:smirk:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32