How to launch an SRT

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I am going to attend the track day tomorrow at Fontana and I have never drag raced before on a track. Whats the best way to launch my car? I am making around 800rwhp and will be in BFG Drag Radials. I have no driveline mods. I want to initially go out and just make a couple runs to get used to running on the track. After the first couple runs I want to go out and leave the line slow off the start sorta like take off, let off for a split second and then nail it to see what the car will get mph wise. Then make a few more passes all out and letting off towards the end so I dont go under 11.5 and end up towards the end of the day going all out the full distance before they kick me off.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think if its your first time, go EASY at first. Get used to track and what your car may or may not do. If tracks cold,even with drag radilas you will probably still spin up. I was just on street tires, but mine was spinning 1-3 gears on first few runs. I have less power then you. As track warmed up it got alot better. Your not trying to break any records. So I would just launch easy, like you would leaving a stop light and just get some nice smoothe shifts in. You will just feel it out there,see what the car is doing,what the track conditions are like.

Nobody knows your abilities but you, so if ya here someone say take it to 3k rpms and launch,but arent comfortable doing that. Just slowly up your rpms each run till you get to were you like it.

OP
OP
N

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think if its your first time, go EASY at first. Get used to track and what your car may or may not do. If tracks cold,even with drag radilas you will probably still spin up. I was just on street tires, but mine was spinning 1-3 gears on first few runs. I have less power then you. As track warmed up it got alot better. Your not trying to break any records. So I would just launch easy, like you would leaving a stop light and just get some nice smoothe shifts in. You will just feel it out there,see what the car is doing,what the track conditions are like.

Nobody knows your abilities but you, so if ya here someone say take it to 3k rpms and launch,but arent comfortable doing that. Just slowly up your rpms each run till you get to were you like it.

I had planned on being fairly easy on the launch as I dont want to break anything. Just didn't know if I should leave at idle or rev it some to say 2000roms or so.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can take it to 2K rpms no problem, just ease out clutch with while adding throttle. Its probably harder explaining then just going out there and running it a few times. Have fun and good luck. Hope you get a nice run on that last one before they kick you out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4