How to rebuild a half shaft - with pics!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As our cars get older, and the already stressed U joints on the half shafts continue to get worn, this info may become useful. Although I am showing how to do a half shaft, this will be the same process for a driveshaft.

For those that do not know, the half shafts on our cars have a universal joint (U joint) on each end of the shaft. This allows the differential to provide power by way of the half shaft to the tires. As the suspension moves up and down, plus with the angle that the shaft comes out of the diff, it needs a joint on each end to allow enough movement so the shaft does not bind. This joint is the U joint. With enough hard launches, plus normal wear from vehicle mileage and age (age matters at the grease in the Vipers non grease-able joints will eventually dry up), the U joints will start to need attention. How do you know if your U joint is getting there? There is a few different ways ranging from reaching higher mileage to it letting go during a hard launch.

For me, I had a half shaft break a few years ago while at a drag strip (not the U joint, I actually broke the shaft due to old tires and axle hop). I replaced with one that was purchased used from another VCA member and just installed it. Over the cource of the last few years, the abuse and wear has started to wear the already higher mileage half shaft to the point that I could hear squeaking, clicking, and a faint grinding that did not “feel” right. I mostly noticed this at slow speeds when the window was open.

So I decided to pull it out, and upon removing the straps, the caps fell to the floor! This is a good sign that it is time to replace the U joints! ;):D

P1000426.JPG

P1000427.JPG

U joint replacement is very easy. The key will be to have a mechanical press to be able to push the joints out slowly without damaging anything.

Here is an comparison of new and original:

P1000481.JPG

U joint part number and box:

P1000468.JPG

First step is to remove the half shaft from the vehicle. Once removed, you must remove the retaining clips.

P1000469.JPG

P1000467.JPG

Using the press, apply slight pressure to one side of the joint. I used a small length of steel for this that had a smaller diameter than the eye. Once you can see the joint shift, using needle nose pliers and pop the retainer out. Flip half shaft over and do the same to the other side. Once the clip is removed, continue pushing the cap with the steel cylinder. (HINT: You will need to have the bottom side supported all the way around the half shaft ear so it does not break off. If it is not supported it could crack. I found a socket works well so it can still allow the cap space to drop out the bottom.)

P1000470.JPG

P1000471.JPG

Continue pushing until the cap post out the bottom or the U joint bottoms out. Remove cap, flip half shaft over, and again push down on the cap until it pops out.

P1000472.JPG

P1000473.JPG

P1000474.JPG

P1000475.JPG

You can then remove the U joint from the two eyes. You can inspect the old caps for signs of wear. The needle bearings should be clean and in one piece. If you see debris, your bearing needles were fryin’.:crazy2:

Old on left, new on right:

P1000476.JPG

Close up of new (observe the good needle bearings in the caps):

P1000478.JPG

Repeat for other side.

Once both joints are removed, clean up the half shaft. Ensure that it is clean with no dirt on either end, especially around the eyes.

Using a new U joint, remove two of the caps. Ensuring not to nick or scrape the surface of the now exposed bearing needle surface, slide it into the two eyes. Doing the exact opposite as before, slide a cap onto one of the end and press it back into the eye until in approx seating position. Next, push the cap into the other end.

P1000479.JPG

When at the seating point on both sides, press one side just a bit further and install the retaining clip. Then press it back the opposite direction to install the other side. Then try to even the pressure out so it is not loaded on one side more than the other.

Repeat the other side.

The finished shaft will look like this:

P1000480.JPG

For installing into the car, again be very cautious not to knock the caps off. I found it easiest to remove the two other caps when putting the half shaft back thought the shock support. If you also do this be very sure to not get ANY dirt or even bumping the exposed ends! If you do, may as well pull it back out and replace the U joint now.

P1000485.JPG

P1000483.JPG

P1000484.JPG

P1000488.JPG

Once back in, re-strap the joints to the hubs and diff with NEW straps and you are done! Why new straps? The U joint straps are slightly straighter than the arc they need to be. This way when it is torque, it shapes itself to the joint cap. If you use the same strap, when you finish torquing the strap, it may be fully tight by way of the bolts, but the cap could have a different tolerance than the last and it would then not provide adequate clamping force for the joint. You would essentially have a loose cap. The result? First hard shift or clutch drop and you just ripped your U joint out.

That’s it! Repeat for the other side of the car and be sure to mark the mileage in your maintenance book!

Have fun!

Robert

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I should also mention before anyone :hitwithrock: me, this is the way I did it. It does NOT mean it is the right way, or the only way!

Carry on. :D

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job, Mopar Boy!
Did you do this all by yourself?
How long did it take?
How much did it cost you?
How much force is necessary to unseat and reset the bearing caps? I have access to a 10ton Arbor Press. Will that do it?

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, great writeup and pictures and needs to be in Illustrated Upgrades.

A 10 ton arbour press is a 'sledge hammer to crack a nut' but will still do the job.

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up...I couldn't agree more about the ease of doing this yourself... My dad has a lifted jeep with some heavy angles on the drive shaft. He replaces the u-joints about once a year, and can swap them out in less than a minute... For those who don't have a press, the right sized sockets and a hammer (with a careful hand) does the job as well.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the complimets! Just want to help those who are new to the Viper nation informed and educated!

Nice job Robert!!!! :2tu:

Well, since you posted I am going to ask a question. :D

We all know my I am curious like George and I like to build a foundation for my knowledge and theories....

This was the half shaft I got from you. Any idea of mileage on it? Was just wondering if it is a higher mileage unit or if my launch style was the main factor!:rolaugh:

Good job, Mopar Boy!
Did you do this all by yourself?
How long did it take?
How much did it cost you?
How much force is necessary to unseat and reset the bearing caps? I have access to a 10ton Arbor Press. Will that do it?

Yes, I did it by myself. It took about 10 min per side but I am a perfectionist so it could likely be done in less. ;)

If you had two people (one to support the shaft as opposed to rigging up the lift I did) you could likely do a complete shaft in 10 min.

Cost was $80 for 2 U joints. Time was free! :D

Not much force is needed. If I saw 1 ton when cracking the seating position that was it. The key is to not use strait force. Try to slowly break it loose. A dead force can crack the ear off.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up and pics :2tu: If you dont have a press to hand could this be done on a large bench vice? How much pressure was req'd to squeeze out the bearings?

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a jam it may work, but I am not sure it would have enought guts to crack it loose. Once it is moving it would likely work, but I would not bet money on it.

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you install greasable U-joints?

If not, why not?

I normally look for greasable U-joints when I replace OEM. This way I can keep everything lubed properly and extend the life of the U-joints. Don't have to worry in the future about a dry socket. Make sure you pay attention to the direction of the grease zert when you install the new U-joints. You will want to be able to reach these after you install them back on the car.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you install greasable U-joints?

If not, why not?

I normally look for greasable U-joints when I replace OEM. This way I can keep everything lubed properly and extend the life of the U-joints. Don't have to worry in the future about a dry socket. Make sure you pay attention to the direction of the grease zert when you install the new U-joints. You will want to be able to reach these after you install them back on the car.

No. I did not.

Reason being is that when you have a greasable style, the centers are hollow to allow for the grease to move inside, as well as the one side has a hole for the zerk/******. This then means there is less material for strength.

For the case of a half shaft that already takes abuse, I say go solid. I did compare both a greasable and non, and I would rather have to replace them in a few years than have one crack and let go at speed taking out my shock/damper, diff ear, brakes, and potentially stick into the tarmac and launch the rear up.

Normally, I would fully agree. Infact, on all of the driveshafts I have done for my trucks, I always do a greasable style.

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good Advice.

You are correct...this is not a daily driver. I just had not thought it through completely.

Thanks for the advice.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Mopar Boy
It is great write-ups like you did that make this site so very important. I still can't believe that this site is so great compared to my other sites such as the Cobra Forum. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to do such a fine tutorial!!--Dave

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave - Its an honor to be able to provide info like this to the members of this great site. It was info like this that brought me to the site in the first place.

Its a pleasure to be able to give some info back. :)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, always mark the shafts so you can reinstall them on the same side they came from.

Another thing to check if you do have a broken cap is the stub shaft or yoke....where ever the damage was. My car will eat u-joint caps (like at least a couple every year). Last time I was doing a u-joint change I look it over and I think the "receiver" cup may be out of round. I was going racing and didn't have time to mess with more diagnosis much less changing more parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, always mark the shafts so you can reinstall them on the same side they came from.

Another thing to check if you do have a broken cap is the stub shaft or yoke....where ever the damage was. My car will eat u-joint caps (like at least a couple every year). Last time I was doing a u-joint change I look it over and I think the "receiver" cup may be out of round. I was going racing and didn't have time to mess with more diagnosis much less changing more parts.

Good info. Cant say I really checked for that!:omg:

Guess I will have to blow up some pics and zoom in...;)

Good job!!!!

Thanks Sir! :)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up, just curiuos how many miles were on the set of U-joints you took out?

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure exacly. I had put only 2500 on the shaft but the shaft was purchased from 99RT10/Mike.

Would be curious how many miles were on the car he pulled it from.