How to remove hardtop from RT

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to look at an RT today. I've looked at a few but the tops never been on. The owner, whose had the car for a couple of years, didn't know how to take the top off. Can someone inform me how to unlatch and remove the top?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need an allen wrench for the front two latches, and just press the rear latches and pop it up and out!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its a Gen 1, you'll also need an allen wrench to unscrew the 2 bolts in the back that screw into the sportsbar

p.s.--Why does a guy whose had the car for a couple years not know how to take the top off? Can we say garage queen??

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My gen 1 with an Auto Form haqrd top need no tool s to be removed. I guess it depends on the make of the top?

SN8K BTN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For my '95 factory Hardtop, I release two pins by rotating CCW above the driver & passenger visors. Then, I use an allen wrench to take the two rear bolts out. Off comes the top.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you happen to leave both windows open but leave the rear window in, the hard top will come off all by itself between 187 and 189 MPH. Though it does have a tendency to scratch.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car had a Northwind Engineering carbon fiber hardtop and it does not require any tools. I guess like someone else stated it depends on the brand of roof you have.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a factory hardtop on and 01 RT that the current owner has never taken off.
There are two tabs on each forward side edges of the hardtop. There is an allen wrench that comes with the top that fits into each tab in order to add leverage to turn each tab (I believe it is) inward (towards the center) to release each "t" pin from the top of the windshield frame. If you can't locat the allen wrench, you can try turning the tabs without it, but it can be quite tight. You can also use a pair of plyers or something that will fit in the tab to get the leverage required to turn them about 1/3 turn.

There are two rear "clips" that hold the rear of the top on. These are somewhat inboard of each outward edge of the top (in small rectangular holes on the underside). Each "clip" has two ends pointing down. One side is fixed and the other side (rounded) needs to be spread apart for the clip to open and release the top.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got two tabs on the just turn them inwards, no allen key needed and just squeese the to fork like clips in the back and pop it off.

Why do you guys use allen keys

2000 rt oem hardtop

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
An 01 RT hardtop requires no allen wrench - it goes on the car just like the soft top - it does, however, require a tool to get the front latches loose - although a medium length screwdriver does the job fine.

Older hardtops were bolted on. New hardtops are a lot better design.

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no way i was going 90 with the soft top on when i felt the sun on the back of my head the soft top was redi to go. the back latches let loose.i grabbbed the support bar and almost ***** myself.butt alls well..............

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no way i was going 90 with the soft top on when i felt the sun on the back of my head the soft top was redi to go. the back latches let loose.i grabbbed the support bar and almost ***** myself.butt alls well..............

I had one soft top front latch let go on my '95 RT when I was doing 60. The top folded in half diagonally (while still attached to the car), spraying support bars and side rails on the highway, then broke the remaining front latch, and folded/flipped back the rest of the way, landing on the trunk (while I'm diving for the shoulder). The top was basically a total loss.