How Will DC/Viper Respond to The Z06?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Interesting that many of us feel that 500 HP is NOT enough (including yours truly), yet all will agree that we can't hook up the HP we have now.

It's going to be VERY interesting to see how this new competitor performs on a roadcourse against our Gen2's and Gen3's. They've got a lighter car, but we have lots more torque (470 lb/ft versus our 525), and a proven bulletproof design.

This is going to be a historic decade, where HP numbers have and will continue to exceed previous highs. I'm looking forward to a leapfrog move from our friends at SRT... and I'm hoping that when the dust clears we will be standing MUCH higher on the HP hill than ALL the rest!

Bravo to the bowties for "checking"... but I think we'll be able to say "check mate" sooner than you think!!!

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People seem to want to ignore the fact that there is a new sheriff in town since the Viper first hit the scene. His focus is on profitability of each product, so the willingness to have a loss leader to attract attention may not be enough. I would argue that the introduction of the SRT series of 'low production' options on existing product lines becomes the marketing angle. It is a lot easier for the bean counters to roll this into the Ram, or Neon overall financials and show a win.

Sure, Viper had a great run. Will DC determine that it is time to retire the moniker with the reputation intact, or will they be the 40 year old boxer trying to slug it out?

:confused: :confused: :eek:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all bought the viper because it was "CRUDE AND RUDE". DC just needs to increase the RUDE factor. As they continue to increase the RWHP, the CRUDE factor is going to have to decrease and step up with driving aids. We all love the original big block Cobra, but let me tell you, it was a ***** to drive fast and very unforgiving. DC has to do it correct, for not all viper drivers a trained race car drivers.(Maybe they should be, but not likely to happen) My 0.02 :p

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bravo to the bowties for "checking"... but I think we'll be able to say "check mate" sooner than you think!!!

No offense Joe, I hate to be the one to say this, I really do:

Sounds like a Wink Wink, Nod Nod....

?

Sooner, to me, is not 2007/2008. The ONLY time I will appreciate a horsepower / lighter chassis announcement is BEFORE the Z06 hits the highways. Anything other than this and DC was asleep at the switch. Like they were with the FGT. 3rd place is not acceptable (4th if you count the Saleen S7) Imagine the cover of the four major car rags with Viper, Z06, Ford GT, and Saleen S7 on it. Flip to the article and see "4th place : Dodge Viper" All because they couldn't turn an extra 50-100 hp NOW. 3rd place Ford GT. 2nd place Saleen S7, 1st place CORVETTE Z06. I can hear them now: Best performance car for the money, and it eats the Vipers lunch at $20K msrp less.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can hear them now: Best performance car for the money, and it eats the Vipers lunch at $20K msrp less.

...but we're still more exclusive (ducking) :D

His focus is on profitability of each product, so the willingness to have a loss leader to attract attention may not be enough.

Two words: McLaren Pinnochio

They're willing. Just not willing to do it on an American line of cars. It's sad when DC has a handful of LUXURY cars that outpreforms the Viper. That's as dumb as a trail-rated Viper. Don't get me started about the krauts.