Howdy from Texas! First Viper.

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my first Viper last week. A 1997 GTS that had just 7700 miles when I picked it up. Now, just a few miles over 8000. I put in a new mopar battery and a dome light bulb, and I think that's all it needs at this point. The Red paint and balck interior look amazing for being 14 years old.

I'm usually the type to tinker with my toys and make modifications. But given the low mileage of this car and it's pristine original condition, I think I'll just enjoy the stock version for a while.

The rear tires are original (14 years old) and will have to go soon. I found some Kuhmo's online for about $210. Anybody got other recommendations for the 335-35r17 rear tires?

the clutch seems to be "deep" to me, requiring a long leg to reach the bottom. Is that typical for this year of Viper? just seems odd that the brake and throttle only move a couple inches, but the clutch moves about a foot!

Any other suggestions or concerns for a 1997 GTS?

Thanks,
greg

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats,

your clutch sounds like mine ('02 rt)

a wealth of info on this board, dig around

where 'bouts are you located :eater:

:tx:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
CONGRATS !!

I would suggest that you change ALL fluids ASAP if they have not been changed recently!!

Enjoy your Snake !!

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Greg!
My wife and I just purchased a first for us Viper. The thread is 'Hello from Austin, TX' hopefully we will see you around.
We know a couple of people here in Austin that have Vipers for a while.
Ray and Leslie

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure you know about the Clutch pedal adjustment?
I baught mine a year ago and love it. last year a car pulled up along side me and the woman gave me a thumbs up,
what was so unusual is she was about 90 years old. Last time I got a thumbs up was my flying instructor said off you go.
Now my wife gets jealous every time we go out from all the younger girls wanting rides etc.
Get yourself some good music to play and feel 18 again.

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure you know about the Clutch pedal adjustment?
I baught mine a year ago and love it. last year a car pulled up along side me and the woman gave me a thumbs up,
what was so unusual is she was about 90 years old. Last time I got a thumbs up was my flying instructor said off you go.
Now my wife gets jealous every time we go out from all the younger girls wanting rides etc.
Get yourself some good music to play and feel 18 again.

Regarding Music- I doubt the 18 year old girls would like my music much. I'm 40, and today's stuff mostly sux to me. I'm pretty content with the stereo system. It's usually the first thing I modify in a a new-to-me vehicle, and I usually get carried away (do all work myself). But, with this car being so clean and original, I doubt I'll change anything. The Alpine system still works and sounds very good. A sub would be nice and a MP3 input would be nice. BUt for now I'm ok with some CDs.

I went ahead joined the VCA Venom level. I hope I get some return on that investment.

G

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg, I'm down the street from you in Southpark Meadows, right off Slaughter. There are a few of us that get together down south so hopefully we'll be able to hang out. I usually try to go to Cabelas on Sat evenings and may try this sat. I'll send you a PM!
-FROG-

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my first Viper last week. A 1997 GTS that had just 7700 miles when I picked it up. Now, just a few miles over 8000. I put in a new mopar battery and a dome light bulb, and I think that's all it needs at this point. The Red paint and balck interior look amazing for being 14 years old.

I'm usually the type to tinker with my toys and make modifications. But given the low mileage of this car and it's pristine original condition, I think I'll just enjoy the stock version for a while.

The rear tires are original (14 years old) and will have to go soon. I found some Kuhmo's online for about $210. Anybody got other recommendations for the 335-35r17 rear tires?

the clutch seems to be "deep" to me, requiring a long leg to reach the bottom. Is that typical for this year of Viper? just seems odd that the brake and throttle only move a couple inches, but the clutch moves about a foot!

Any other suggestions or concerns for a 1997 GTS?

Thanks,
greg

Welcome to the club Greg! I am in north San Antonio so we are close, and I go to ART in Buda at least once a month it seems like. I agree with everyone here. Drive straight to a tire shop and get a new complete set of 4 tires, look at the manufacture date to make sure you are getting new tires, and once the new rubber is on flush all fluids with new stuff, even if you were told it has been done. Piece of mind is everything! In the mean time shoot me a PM with your email adress and I will make sure you are on the club's mailing list.

We have a big event planned for May 14th so save the date! You won't want to miss this! You can view the details here http://forums.viperclub.org/texas-south-central/644777-may-14th-2011-vca-event-details.html

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rear tires are 14 years old? Good Lord!! Replace them ASAP!! Like Chuck said: "Tires and Fluids a must"!! CONGRATULATIONS and welcome Greg!!
:drive:

Scott

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Greg! If you have any questions or want a history lesson, etc...just let me know. We are all here to help...oh...and I have a lift also if you want a more in depth look/conversation ;)

-Ryan

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. I've got some older tires and fluids that need replacement as well. Try and avoid that 'viper-tax' :)

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy!

Guess we're bringing a lot of Vipers to Texas!

I just bought a 2001 GTS that also had only 7800 on the clock. Just crossed 8000. I love this car so much I'll probably hit 10k pretty quick LOL

Cheers!

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome aboard.

I bought a 97' GTS with 19k on it 2 weeks ago!!
yes I noticed that the clutch is deep as well, so i think that's common.

check tirerack for tires, they seem to be the best price around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery