How's a 3000 pound Viper sound....

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How\'s a 3000 pound Viper sound....

The Viper's powertrain platform is the ultimate. Period. But wouldn't it be nice if the weight could be decreased to 3000 pounds. Especially since the next version of the Z06 is 'supposed' to be under 3000 pounds. Anyone think this request is feasible? Maybe in the Coupe version, if that ever comes to exist? Thoughts?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How\'s a 3000 pound Viper sound....

not feasable in a big block car for under 150K.

The ford GT was supposed to be around 3K lbs. It's more cost effective to add more h.p. than have to develop lighter materials that are gonna cost way more.

I'd bet the new vette will be around 3300 lbs especially if they bump the cubes + all that luxury ***** crap.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GT has an all aluminum frame and a lot of carbon fiber body parts and it still will weigh about the same as an 8.3 liter V-10 powered bigger car. I don't get it.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The new C6 Z06 will be under 3k pounds as the current Z only weighs 3100 and the new cars have been promised to be lighter due to aluminum frame rails, more titanium and CF, to name a few. I have been seeing the 500hp claims coming down as the car comes closer to production. Not that I know anything but I'm betting on a 2900-3000 pound, 450-475hp C6 Z06. And likely some larger tires, finally.

Chad

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I scaled my Comp Coupe with an empty fuel tank and found it to weigh 2,950 pounds. Advertised HP is 520. I know, it's not a street car.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The new C6 Z06 will be under 3k pounds as the current Z only weighs 3100 and the new cars have been promised to be lighter due to aluminum frame rails, more titanium and CF, to name a few. I have been seeing the 500hp claims coming down as the car comes closer to production. Not that I know anything but I'm betting on a 2900-3000 pound, 450-475hp C6 Z06. And likely some larger tires, finally.

Chad

I think that's a pipe dream. I don't think they can bump displacement and shave 200lbs off the car. No way, no how. More HP = more stress = more weight.

We keep hearing all the latest hype from the GM fanboys on how any day they will release the next Vette with a billion horsepower and weight of only 100lbs. It's been a perpetual pipe dream and always will be, IMO of course. I remember when the 02 Z06 was going to get a bump to "450hp+" and then the 03 was DEFINITELY going to have at LEAST 425hp but probably 450 or 475, and I remember how the new C6 *would* have 450-500hp and weigh under 3000lbs, etc, etc. It's just propaganda until the car actually comes out. Ford made a lot of noise about the GT and they found they were unable to back up their bark with the bite they claimed. GM will have the same experience, IMO.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I own both cars, I can tell you that you could shave 100 pounds off of the current Z06 easily!

The exhaust manifolds are still (Very heavy) cast iron! And that's just one example of useless tonage!

The Viper could certainly wiegh less with more use of weight saving materials in the frame and exhaust alone, not to mention the interior.

I would love to see lighter and more powerful cars! Oh and bring on the SRT/Coupe! I'm not impressed with the looks of the next Vette :(

2charmed

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper's powertrain platform is the ultimate. Period. But wouldn't it be nice if the weight could be decreased to 3000 pounds. Especially since the next version of the Z06 is 'supposed' to be under 3000 pounds. Anyone think this request is feasible? Maybe in the Coupe version, if that ever comes to exist? Thoughts?

In a low production run - piece of cake. The boys need to start visiting the high tech boat builders - those guys could knock out an entire body that weighed less that one single metal body panel does now - and it would be 3 times stronger and stiffer to boot! The top boat builders (aka Americas Cup builders etc) have access to carbon fibers that the public have no access to - they're 5 years ahead of what you can buy in the shops.

3000lb - easy if you work with the right people!

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with BADASP. The current Z06 weighs >3,100 lbs, so a doubt the next generation will weigh more, especially when they are using new technologies to decrease weight, and raving about these changes in every publication. Under 3000 is very feasible, and I bet they will pull it off. As for the HP, who knows.... But never underestimate your competition. Isn't Lutz still there? If so, he will make it happen.

Even though other cars weigh the same or more, 3,350 is on the heavy side for a pure sports car. I think if DC puts there minds to it, 3,000 could be a reality. Not that the Viper is a pig at 3,350, but removing 350 pounds would change the overall performance of this car DRAMATICALLY. Removing weight, from an overall performance/physics perspective, is the #1 mod.

Simple things:

1.) Lightweight wheels - Decrease rotating mass baby!

2.) Lightweight seats

3.) Can the front/rear sway bars be made of a lighter material?

4.) If memory serves, there is no spare/jack. But if I'm wrong, get rid of those pounds.

5.) Light weight battery.

6.) Maybe lighten certain exhaust pieces.

7.) Sound insulation/carpet?

8.) Lexan vs. glass?

** The SRT10 is fine as is, but if DC decides to build the coupe, which you know they will, keep that bad boy light! Heck, if the Comp. Coupe only weighs 2950, it can be done. And I know, it's not a street car....

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Make two:

A lightweight Road/Track version at just under 3000lb wet by using lightweight but strong metals, chrome molly cage, kevlar seats and dash and carbon fiber panels etc

and a 3350lb street SRT GTS with air con, stereo, cup holders and all the things most owners would want for something they actually have to live with on a regular basis.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like this....

never gonna happen.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Imho if DC was gonna do this they should have done it with the ACR GTS...It would have been the perfect choise...It could have been the ultimate Road/Track version like Torque quiped....They could have shaved 200lbs or more off the car just like Chevy did with the Vette...Oh and they could have added shorter gearing to boot...This would have been the ultimate factory Gen II racer period...

Alas its but wishful thinking...Maybe in the not so near future this will happen with aftermarket companies like FactoryFive/Superformance etc....Hey the Viper is after all the modern day Cobra...A tubeframe chassis with a GTS body on it or something of the like.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Damn, I think removing 350lbs from an already traction limited car like the Viper would just make it worse lol.

All I care about--->is when the hell they are going to put the Comp Coupe on the street, that in itself should shave some weight off, I'm thinking maybe 100bs or so at least (but then again I don't know how the top and everything on the SRT weighs etc.)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only convertibles I know of that weigh less than 3000lbs are :

1) Lotus Elise
2) BMW Z4
3) Honda S2000
4) Mazda Miata

and then there's the other side:

1) Mercedes SLR
2) AMG SL55
3) Enzo
4) Carrera GT

Horses are more important than pounds

IMHO

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure what you were inferring but the SL55 is closer to 4k pounds.

Chad

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's what I meant....all the heavyweights are the ones we want and the performance champs. Even with exotic materials, higher performance adds weight(and money). I can't see a 500hp Miata sized car. It could be done, but safety issues would be hard to overcome. Strip all the luxo stuff off the AMG and it would be sweet, but it would still be almost impossible to get it down to 2900 lbs. There's only a certain amount of stripping you can do before the car becomes undrivable. Take all the heat shielding, carpeting and sound insulation off the SRT and it would be like driving a portable sauna.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bottom line: When the new Z06 comes out with 500 HP (give or take), and weighs +/- 3,000 pounds, then maybe we will all agree the Viper needs to go on a diet. Only time will tell... Not Viper bashing in the least, but the performance gap keeps narrowing between our snake and the competition. Remember in '96 when the GTS was released? Nothing could even come CLOSE to the performance, under $150,000.....

Ask any serious track driver which car he would prefer, the lighter or heavier if HP per pound ratio is the same. Every single one will choose the lighter car, hands down. And if the new Z06 is around 500 HP at 3,000 pounds, the Viper will need approx. 565 HP just to match the power to weight ratio. What's that saying, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer...."

500 HP Z06 at 3,000 pounds = 6 pounds per HP
565 HP Viper at 3,400 pounds = 6 pounds per HP

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Porsche Boxster is also under 3000#, assuming you don't want the auto trans. And the 3.6 litre engine fits just fine & won't raise the weight.

The SRT could loose a bunch of weight very easily with things like lighter wheels/tires, seats, and particularly the goofy cross over exhaust system. I'm under the inpression that DC considered an aluminum frame but decided against it due to cost, or profitability that is.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree, the car is a little heavy. Considering the benefits of the extra weight, I'm not sure I'd like the 5 cylinder exhaust sound if the cross-over was eliminated. I took off the mufflers (50 lbs) and it sounds great, but would never pass a gov. or internal DC sound test. The aluminum frame would have been cool, but the cost would be like the BMW Z8, Audi A8, Acura NSX, Ferrari 360 etc. I think DC couldn't justify the expense. I'm all for lighter seats! I wouldn't mind real racing seats, but that would turn off a lot of people who don't see the car like I do. Strip the insulation, can the crossover, add racing seats, remove the AC and stereo, take the top assembly completely off and it'll be well under 3000, and miserable as a daily driver which is what I use it for. The other way is to add the aluminum frame and jack up the price.

I forgot the Boxster weighing under 3000. It's just another 250hp car. Bring it up to 500 and it becomes the Carrera GT. Even with exotic materials, it still isn't under 3000.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The lighter you go the easier it is to move the car forward, so long as you don't change the front to rear weight distribution.

Chad

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In an 1/8 mile (the only track I run) I put two 50lb bags of dogfood in the trunk and fill the gas tank. It's the only way to make the car launch without massive wheelspin, even letting the clutch out at idle and feathering the throttle. When someone makes a wheel/slick combo for the SRT....I'll be first in line.

Reaction score

Weight reduction is a very good for all performance numbers. Cornering in a 2500 pound race car and a 3500 pound race car, the 2500 pound car feels so much better, and we will spend less $$$ for tire. Stopping distance would be reduced, etc.

Put the Next Gen. on a big diet and give it more HP.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you wish for a 3000 pound street Viper or 3000 pound track Viper.
The track version is fairly easy. Loose the top, windows, AC, lighter battery, track tires and wheels. Will need to add back some pounds for safety equipment.
For street that is more difficult. It takes about the same weight of aluminum to equal the same strength as steel. The Viper frame is very strong, and resistant to torsion. Some titanium is already used behind the dash for strength and weight.
Dodge has done a great job keeping this car in the $80K range while being as light as it is.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just looked at the Carrara GT specs posted earlier and at 3042#, if you leave the tops at home & pull the spare tire, you're under #3000. Also, 600+ HP out of 350 cu in is pretty good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang