hvac

am31

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the musty smell and after searching most of the post it calls for making sure the drain tube from the ac unit is clear, could someone please tell me or show me a picture of where it is located. The shop manual is not very informative on this one, look under car and cant see any type of drain near the unit...any help would be great

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be discouraged am31. What car/year??

More descriptive info.....? I'm thinking' 'carpet'. Seals leak and carpet smells bad .... Open her up and set her in the sun for a day or two. Go for a long drive...... Works every time!

OP
OP
A

am31

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1995 , checked and treated carpet. nothing is wet. Got the car last year and there has always been the mold/musty smell just cant seem to find it.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The duckbill drain in under the airbox between the right front inner fender and the HVAC unit itself. You can see it from the side with the hood up not from the bottom - About 20 inches up from the road.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 cars leak when wet.

Do a good carpet shampoo then get her dry as a bone. Check for good A/C drainage as noted but it probably just sat outside for awhile....and got wet. IMO

Erical

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your odor MAY be coming from the air conditioner itself. The interstitial spaces of the evaporator are very small and condensation may remain there after shutting down. That moisture plus the dark are ideal conditions for growing mold in the evaporator. There are treatments for dealing with this mold -some kind of foam to kill it - but I have no experience with them.

Best bet is prevention. Don't put your car away wet. Shut off the A/C a couple miles from home and run the fan on high to clear out as much of the moisture as possible.

Worst case, and I have experienced this, is to replace the evaporator. ($O,uch)

Eric

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the carpet got wet, the padding underneath is wet and the actual body of the car is prob wet. Pull the seats out, pull the carpet out, pull the padding and dry the actual car body with towels. Replace the padding and leave the carpet in the sun for a day or 2. Then reinstall carpet and you're good as new. Any carpet place sells padding fairly cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc