I am ADDICTED, drag results ----->

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me remind everyone that I had NEVER done this before in any car. I was able to make 5 runs, first one I lined up with a bike (12 sec), then my luck got better and I lined up TWICE with an 11 sec 1990 mustang
laugh.gif
that ripped out a 10.997, then two stock mustangs one early 90's and one newer one.

My first attempt was my best attempt 13.563 @ 104.008, my others were three 13.7's and my last was a 13.6 all of them @ 105 and change. My best reaction time was 0.651. All the regulars were saying it was a slower night. I can't remember anything about the first run, too much going on. The rest of my launches were regular off the line like I do on the street but I would get on the throttle quicker. Twice I ran with the heater on, I had forgotten. My shifts are not great and kinda slow, the knob is too small (MGW, GREAT KNOB,I need to practice. I have gone faster on the highway but it doesn't compare, I had never really wound out 1st and 2nd.

I pulled crazy on the two (I think) stock mustangs, I never realized the car could pull like that. Second gear is insane.

My main question is......is it better to leave the line with your tires spinning and partial traction versus going off the line with full traction and easing into the throttle. I thought minimizing wheel spin was the key, so I tried leaving with no wheel spin and would let off a bit if the wheels started to spin. Some people suggested starting in 2nd.

Side note: There was a crew cab ford lifted like crazy atleast 33 or 35 inch tires and it had two huge (atleast 8 inches each)"exhaust pipes" sticking straight up out of the bed like a semi. He ran a 14.4 or 14.8.

Last thing: I know there is a seperate forum for this and everyone is sick of whiners, but I overheard a group of people talking about my car and how Dodge ruined the 2003...."Looks like a miata that had a sledgehammer taken to it" among other things. EVERYONE there was super nice and friendly, lottsa great help and tips. I think I may try California Speedway next, anyone have personal experience there?

Oh ya and I heard a lil about SOCAL REBEL too form the boys from ls1.com.

OP
OP
F

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry had to reply to myself so everyone can see my new avatar. THANKS JP VIPER!!!!!!!!!!! You have to click on it to really notice that the red on the hood is my engine showing through the hood. My GF wants to know what a hood like that costs HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (she wants to get it for my Bday, she hadnt realized it was my car in the pic).

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen,

Congrats, and it's good to have a fellow drag racing addict. SoCal Rebell has become more of a road racing snob these days. He talks a lot of smack over at ls1.com, but I don't know that he's backed it up by racing any of those guys since we went up to Famoso in December. (BTW, Famoso is not worth the trip....)

In case no one told you, the 2700' altitude at Palmdale will knock about 1/2 sec off your ET if you're running the 12's or 13's, so at a track near sea level, like Carlsbad, you'd run low 13's, which is pretty good for your first time out in a Gen I car.

I've raced several times at the NHRA strip at Fontana. Traction is not as good, but the altitude is much lower (around 1000'), so you're ET's will be better. Maybe not by a full 1/2 sec, but better.

My trick to getting a good 60' time is: take of the stock Michelins and put on slicks and skinnies. Do a big smokey burnout (may not be necessary but sure is a crowd pleaser), rev to 4000 rpm, and dump the clutch. Guaranteed 1.6 sec short times if the track isn't too crappy. I know many think slicks are cheating somehow, but last time I checked, most professional drag racers use slicks....

On street tires, the best way to get a sub-2 sec 60' time is to rev to 2500 rpm or so, and feather the clutch. Requires a lot of practice and finesse. Since I usually race at Carlsbad, where the best 60' time I've ever seen on street tires is 1.9 sec because the traction is so bad, I just give up and use slicks.

I'd love to go out to Fontana with you some time. Last time I checked the CA Speedway web site though, they only listed events through March. Do you have a more recent schedule?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respecable times for LACR Allen, sorry I couldn't make it, Venom Loser I'm not a snob, I still love to drag. Allen, go to Cali Speedway or Carlsbad and you'll get better times.

BTW, what were those LS1 jokers saying?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALLEN -

IMO YOU'VE GOT TO LEAVE THE HOLE WITH YOUR FEET ON THE GROUND BUDDY.
smile.gif
(NO SPINNING)

I LOVE THE TRACK TOO! WE TRY AND GO EVERY OTHER WEEKEND IF NOT EVERY WEEKEND. IT'S A BLAST & VERY ADDICTING. YOU'LL GET BETTER W/ PRACTICE.

OP
OP
F

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car only has filters and smooth tubes. I wanted to try it out and get an idea of what it does before I add exhaust and headers, and now that I am addicted and Sean has that DIY SC kit well who knows how far I'll go. As far as 60ft times, I guess that is the first one listed (they list 5 times...I1, I2, I3, I4, and ET). On my 13.5 run my I1 was 2.246 (the lowest of the night), I2/5.881, I3/8.852, I4/11.336. The rest of the passes my I1 was 2.3xx (I don't have one time slip with me).

As far as Fontana goes, I heard from people last night at LACR that they only are open on Sat and Sun. Not official info, my friend has a Z06 and wasn't allowed to run last night at LACR because he didn't have a helmet so he will come down to Fontana with me if I go (with helmet if necessary). Helmet was required for sub 14 but they didn't check or enforce on others unless you stated you would run 13's. Our cars however were obvious sub 14 sec cars and we were asked for helmets.

Ron, they didn't say anything too serious, but something about a camaro
smile.gif
.......I didn't get the full details
laugh.gif

Trey, I agree with no spinning, but I guess my real question is...is there a difference between getting off the line at say 800rpm no wheel spin and adding throttle (this way the clutch is fully engaged) versus leaving at 2000rpm no wheel spin and the clutch partially engaged (now throttle doesnt need to be added (as much), instead degree of clutch engagement does). Either way the wheels arent slipping, are the additional rpms any benefit?? Since the wheels arent slipping is the car experiencing the same thing... I am assuming there is a certain constant threshold to break traction and if the wheels are just below the threshhold the "force/power" is the same in both circumstances since the variables are degree of clutch engagement and rpm and the balance between the two. So is low rpm/full engagement different from high rpm/partial engagement? I have no clue what I am saying this is not anywhere near my field of experise, but this is how it plays out in my mind. Have I lost everyone?????

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen - it's probably not a bad idea getting BTR's drag racing video.

Venom - how did you and SoCal do at Famoso? I know most of the 300ZX owners who went (I used to own a Twin Turbo Z until January '02). I heard that it was so cold, and dusty (no traction).

'planning to attend my first SoCal VCA event on April 28th (Mopar Drag Race at LACR).

Alan

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alternative:

Venom - how did you and SoCal do at Famoso? I know most of the 300ZX owners who went (I used to own a Twin Turbo Z until January '02). I heard that it was so cold, and dusty (no traction).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was up at Famoso too. Traction was killing me there. I actually lost traction on my 3-4 shift on a few runs. I'd like to try and get a few guys together for another run sometime this summer. Anyone interested?

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:
I was up at Famoso too. Traction was killing me there. I actually lost traction on my 3-4 shift on a few runs. I'd like to try and get a few guys together for another run sometime this summer. Anyone interested?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same guys who organized the Famoso event last December are actually doing another one next month. You can find details at: http://www.ztoyz.net/private_track_event.htm

If I don't make it at LACR, I'll probably go at Famoso.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alan,
SoCal was in the upper 12's, but that was due to absolutely terrible traction. I was in the upper 11's on slicks, and I was having a terrible time hooking up as well. It was very cold, and sort of slightly misty. I don't think the track was ever really dry.

Makara and Alan,
I'd be up for getting a group to go out to Fontana some time. I have no interest in going back to Famoso. I know the weather was unusually bad in December, but those track officials are the most disorganized and lazy people I've seen at any track. Who's game for Fontana?

Allen,
They do race on Saturdays and Sundays at Fontana, but not all Saturdays and Sundays. That's why I'd really like to see a schedule. I1 is the "code" for 60' time on Palmdale's time slips. You can get that time below 2.0, but it will require practice. I agree with Trey, you don't want to be spinning at all off the line. The difference between &lt;1000 rpm with dumping the clutch and 2500-3000 rpm and slipping the clutch is that in the latter case, once you do hook up, you're already in the torque band, whereas in the former case, you will hook and then bog slightly.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Venom Lover on 04-12-2002 at 10:50 AM</font>

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alternative:

'planning to attend my first SoCal VCA event on April 28th (Mopar Drag Race at LACR).

Alan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried to get that video, w/ no success.
confused.gif

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FUSCUCLA1,

Glad you are addicted, much worse things you could be doing than racing. Sorry I did not make it up there, we were having scaling problems with my friends car.

We will be going to LACR today, so if anyone is going up introduce yourself. I will be with the nasty looking GMC Typhoon on slicks and skinnies.

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
allen, your times for a first time racer are not too bad. I have a 94 which when I ran it for the first time it clicked off a 13.0 at 114 that was on stock mxx3's spinning first and into second. I have done extensive mods in the last two years but haven't been back to the track.but it sure is addictive!!!!
be safe and have fun!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a beginner to drag racing (started a couple years ago) and still have yet to do a full 1/4 mile, all our local tracks are just 1/8th. So I'm curious what your 1/8th times were?

A couple tips people gave me that made a world of difference and got me to sub 8 second 1/8ths are:

1. With street tires, launch at about 2400 rpm and hold the gas there until the tires hook up, then punch it. Don't punch early or you just spin longer.

2. With slicks, see above in the post at launching at 4000 and dump clutch.

3. The best tip I got for decreasing ET's (besides launching which is half the battle) was how to shift. Someone told me to pull on the stick into the next gear quite hard even before you are ready to shift. Then when you just touch the clutch it will pop into the next gear in a fraction of the time a usual shift takes. I find you can pull nearly as hard as you want and you won't pull it out of gear until you clutch. It makes the shifting so much faster you can drop 3/4 of a second of your time.

Regardless of all the advice you receive, remember three things...the launch, the shifting and having fun is all that's important!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom Lover:
Makara and Alan,
I'd be up for getting a group to go out to Fontana some time. I have no interest in going back to Famoso. I know the weather was unusually bad in December, but those track officials are the most disorganized and lazy people I've seen at any track. Who's game for Fontana?

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is Fontana? How far from Hollywood is it? I went to Palmdale on sunday and got in two runs. I was a little disappointed in how few runs I got in but I had a great time anyway. I ran in 13.121 @ 107.3 in my Gen I with smooth tubes, filters, highflow cats, exhaust, hard bald tires, and a VEC-1. I was pretty happy with that considering the altitude and lack of practice. What are other Gen I guys running?

Is anyone planning of going up to Famoso again? I had a pretty good time at the last event I went to there in December even though the traction was non existent.

OP
OP
F

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fontana is at the corner of the 10 and 15......if you have ever driven to Vegas you should knoe exactly where I mean. I think its about an hour from here maybe a little more. What kind of exhaust do you have on your car?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FR USMC:
how is it illegal??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In california, a car has to be able to rev from 2,000 rpm to 5,000 rpm and keep the db below 95 a-weighted while being measured about 30" from the exhaust tip. I am closer to 114 db. So far the cops have been really cool. I have been pulled over while in the viper and the cop basically asked about the car. I asked if not having a front plate was ok and if I should worry about my exhaust level. He said that every thing was fine. A nasty cop might give me problems but as far as he was concerned, a front plate looks stupid on a viper and the exhaust sounded good to him.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom Lover:

Makara and Alan,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be up for Fontana, just let me know when...

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUSCUCLA1:
Fontana is at the corner of the 10 and 15......if you have ever driven to Vegas you should knoe exactly where I mean. I think its about an hour from here maybe a little more. What kind of exhaust do you have on your car?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the Belanger exhaust with the 3" high flow cats. It's pretty loud. Definitely illegal but sounds much better than stock and seemed to give me a bit of power. I want headers on my car before I go out to the track again but am having a hard time making up my mind on which system I want.