I AM BORN AGAIN!!

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no not religiously, but i have caught the motorhead bug. The problem is, in the past my idea of doing engine work was checking the oil, and changing my oil consisted of finding as local JiffyLube. I now want to get dirty and learn all i can, but i'm not sure where to begin. I bought an "Auto Repair for dummies" book, but i'd like a classroom type of environment.Now the only problem with the classroom idea is that the courses i looked into are far too long (18 months in some cases).What road is best to take so i can become the best grease monkey i can be?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Step 1: Call Chris Barone and volunteer to be support at one of his races
Step 2: Buy some lava soap and some mechanix gloves (snake oyls are cool!)

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best way to learn something is to do it. You looking for overall car experience or mainly motor/tranny?

Go find yourself a good old muscle car and do the restoration on it. Find a near-basket case car if your really wanting to get down n' dirty.

Of course, if you want to stay high-tech then start hanging around w/ the SCCA guys around you, pick up tons of tips for car setup (or atleast I did).

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A VERY good reference is John Lingenfelters "Modifying the Small Block Chevy Engine". Yeah, I know the Viper is not a SBC, but the book is VERY detailed about engine/performance theory and well illustrated.

I started off doing little things - changing oil, plugs, etc. Then I changed a water pump (had to remove the crank pulley to do that!). Then I replaced a flywheel, then replaced a cylinder head, then did a ring-job, then did a complete engine build, then restored a carbeurated I4 bike, and did countless other things... you learn as you go.

I'll send you my Z28 and you can do the motor buildup for me, Ok? RI ain't too far, and I'll even give you all summer to do it. You pay for the parts, and I won't charge you for education time - deal?
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang