I am really starting to HATE my viper

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my brand new black 04 SRT the end of May this year. Loved it. A dream come true.

2 days later the belt falls off and gets shreaded (no loc-tite)and has to get towed. Get it back 2 days later.

The next day I check the belt and its coming off again, back to the dealer, and get it back the next day.

2 weeks later the rear end breaks, shread the gears, get the car back 2 weeks later.

2 weeks after that the clutch goes with 2000 miles on it (no loc-tite)car gone again for 2 1/2 weeks.

3 weeks later check engine light goes on its the cam shaft sensor (no loc-tite) get the car back 3 days later.

Tonight driving home from a spin and the car just dies, not much of a warning. as if the cylinders died 1 by 1 within a minute then nothing. The car has power and turns over, you can hear the fuel pump go but it just would not start. Anyone eles have this promblem(s)?

Who knows how long the car will be down this time? LEMON LAW anyone. Wisconsin

And now that fall is here, not much time left for driving.

P.S. I still do love VIPERS just not mine again. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a lemon for sure...somebody was ********** when making that car...get a lawyer

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a lemon for sure...somebody was ********** when making that car...get a lawyer

I have been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to figure out a way to reply with out "*******" someone off. Like you've done to me. How can you say "somebody was ********** when making that car"? By this you're implying that someone may have intentionally missed something. You couldn't be farther from the truth. The Viper is hand built. I put 120% into everyone I build. Every viper I build is built as if it were going into my garage. And I know that goes for all the craftspeople at Conner.
Now, I don't doubt that this gentelman has had problems. Should he be compensated, in my opinion, yes. But to imply that this was done intentionally is wrong.

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]I put 120% into everyone I build. Every viper I build is built as if it were going into my garage. And I know that goes for all the craftspeople at Conner.

[/QUOTE]

I sure hope you built my FE coupe! I love to see dedication and pride in one's workmanship. Thanks.

Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles. I would be just as ********** if it was my ride. I hope they get it resolved ASAP.

Most state lemon laws (FL) are having the car in for the same repair three times or thirty days out of service. You sound like you're getting real close.

ViperLSS-Cudos to you, I hope everyone feels the same way at the Conner plant.

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry you are having problems, you can test the lemon law like I did here in Florida a few years back. I had a 1995 Corvette new off the floor from a local dealer here in Tampa. The thing was in the shop over 27 times and had under 4k miles on it. After meeting with the all the Chevy reps and the local arbitrator they would still do nothing but repair it so I traded it in on a Pathfinder. Somebody else had to deal w/ it. Trany twice, cracked cyl, rear end, a/c never worked, and electronics over and over again. It was by far the worst car I ever owned.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Volltage, I feel for you. It **** when these car we love have to go into a Dodge dealership for work, and the fear that the guy working on it might not put as much care into it as you would like.

ViperLSS, That cool to hear from one of the actual Viper Craftsperson. Any advise you can give Vollage on his SRT? Sound like an unusual case that should be handled by someone higher up.

Maybe you know somebody that knows a guy :)

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually i have heard that the cam-bolt issue WAS traced back and the cause was found to be a disgruntled employee(craftsperson). Who took out his/her frustration on DCX and later the unknowing viper srt owner. Not tough to figure out in such a small manufacturering model how ONE bad person/egg can really affect so many. I have been to CAAP at least a dozen times and from what i have seen 99.9% of the craftspeople are very proud to be working on Dodge's halo car aka: our babies.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually i have heard that the cam-bolt issue WAS traced back and the cause was found to be a disgruntled employee(craftsperson). Who took out his/her frustration on DCX and later the unknowing viper srt owner. Not tough to figure out in such a small manufacturering model how ONE bad person/egg can really affect so many. I have been to CAAP at least a dozen times and from what i have seen 99.9% of the craftspeople are very proud to be working on Dodge's halo car aka: our babies.

I was gonna say the same thing! Sounds like you have a very strong lemon law case.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
Be warned when Lemon Lawing. When you do it, you will recieve a call from a so-called third party who will claim to represent your interests as a mediator with the manufacturer. They will set up appointments, give you the low-down from what the mechanics said, etc..

DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!

Talk to the Service Manager/Mechanic directly. When the DC engineers are looking at it, talk to them at that time or again, the Service Manager.

What happened to a friend:

Florida had just passed the Lemon Law within a few years, he went and bought a Chevy 1500 4x4. There was only one problem, a wierd intermittent noise from the rear.

After he met the requirements, he decided to Lemon Law. He recieved a cold call from someone who claimed he/his company represents people who Lemon Law, and act as a liaison with Chevy.

He sweet talked my friend, set-up another appointment, ohhhhh. we'll find the problem, etc.. For several months (they were that good).

And then when we convinced my friend to quit that nonsense and get rid of it, he was convinced by his representative for just one more attempt. The engineers that were flown in from Chevy HQ found the problem.

At that point, he was in digust at the truck, Chevy, that he didn't want the truck anymore. And no more calls, no more help. They did their job well: sucker owners who are Lemon Lawing into postponing the sucker errr... owner's rights.

Anyways, he put his truck up for sell, and the first serious buyer had a dealer printup done, even I was shocked at what it said, and the potential buyer wished him luck and moved on.

SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry for your trouble... knock on wood i have never had any problems with my 04... except tryiing to keep it clean and away from my wife.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to figure out a way to reply with out "*******" someone off. Like you've done to me. How can you say "somebody was ********** when making that car"? By this you're implying that someone may have intentionally missed something. You couldn't be farther from the truth. The Viper is hand built. I put 120% into everyone I build. Every viper I build is built as if it were going into my garage. And I know that goes for all the craftspeople at Conner.
Now, I don't doubt that this gentelman has had problems. Should he be compensated, in my opinion, yes. But to imply that this was done intentionally is wrong.

In SRTRICKY's defense, I don't think he was saying someone did it intentionally. He just meant that someone had a bad day for whatever reason at the plant and wasn't concentrating 100%. It happens to everyone. I have no doubt you guys put in 120% of your efforts, but it would be unreasonable to think all the professional craftspeople at Conner are perfect.

Thanks for all of your hard work. :2tu:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In SRTRICKY's defense, I don't think he was saying someone did it intentionally. He just meant that someone had a bad day for whatever reason at the plant and wasn't concentrating 100%. It happens to everyone. I have no doubt you guys put in 120% of your efforts, but it would be unreasonable to think all the professional craftspeople at Conner are perfect.

Thank you! Thats exactly what I was trying to say and before you get too emotional over there do you build every single viper?? I'm sure you have a few co-workers that don't have the passion you have.
Ricky

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you! Thats exactly what I was trying to say and before you get too emotional over there do you build every single viper?? I'm sure you have a few co-workers that don't have the passion you have.
Ricky

As a matter of fact I do have my hands on every viper built from 2-97 to today. OK maybe 99% of them. I even put the first 3.5 miles on every 97 and 98 viper built. And as for the "passion" and commitment of my co-workers, I back them 100%. Me and those around me belive that doing anything less than your best when building this car is unacceptable.
I am sorry to hear you're haveing trouble with your viper. I really am. I wish you the best. I'll not commit on this subject again. Later.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I do have my hands on every viper built from 2-97 to today. OK maybe 99% of them. I even put the first 3.5 miles on every 97 and 98 viper built. And as for the "passion" and commitment of my co-workers, I back them 100%. Me and those around me belive that doing anything less than your best when building this car is unacceptable.
I am sorry to hear you're haveing trouble with your viper. I really am. I wish you the best. I'll not commit on this subject again. Later.

[/QUOTE]

ViperLSS, I am glad to see that you and your coworkers take pride in your job to the point that you respond to threads like this one where there was a lemon. You are a credit to the American worker. :usa: I never before bought anything, had a bad experience, and had a craftsperson from the assembly line respond to my comments. Kudos to you. :headbang:

I bought my 2000 RT/10 used but would never know the difference. It is a car that management at my company many levels high take notice of not to mention everybody else. I think a Viper is the most exciting thing you can buy for under $100k and I say this after 1 year of having it. I wish you the best.

OP
OP
V

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperLSS please keep on commenting on all subjects. I Dont hold "anyone" responsible but I understand your defense, and so do all of us. We are all here to help and support each other good and bad.

I just get so frustrated because it only seems like my car goes down for the weekends. I have had great customer service for my car and have had my dealer go above and beyond the norm. I hope to get my car back soon, they are unable to look at it until Monday.

I guess its like a family member who does something wrong, you get mad and upset with them, but you still love them and work on getting it fixed.

Thats how it is with my car and everyone here on the site.
The bottom line of it was that I was venting and wanting to know if anyone has had the problem of their car just dieing. If so I wanted to know to get my car fixed and back faster.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles did your car have on the odometer when you picked it up new at the dealership? I ask because some of the troubles sound like they could have been caused by improper dealer prep and/or maintainance and/or someone improperly driving the vehicle. I think that it is important to determine what happened at the dealership after it received the car from the factory before accusing the factory. More than a few Vipers have been directly or indirectly damaged by one or more idiots at a dealership.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ricky

Ricky: I DO think everyone at Conner has the same passion ViperLSS has. You don't get to work on Vipers just because DC signs your paycheck. Everyone there is exceptional, and my solid, 3rd owner 97 gts is proof of it. The point I agree with you on is that everyone has a bad day every now and then. I stand by my work 120% as well, but once in a blue moon, I'll miss the mark.

ViperLSS: Stick around... you have the coolest job on this board, and we all appreciate your efforts and dedication... let us live vicariously through you! :D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think that it came from the factory with 34 miles on it. Someone definitely drove it after it left the factory and before you bought it. If you have not already done so, request an event history of the car for the time before you bought it. If something happened after the dealer received the car and before you bought it, there should be a record of the event(s). I noticed that you now have over 4000 miles on the car. How is it running now? If it is running well, for how many miles has it been running well? I ask because maybe all the gremlins have been located and fixed. If this is the case, maybe you can negotiate a credit to be used against future oil changes, etc. as compensation for the inconvenience you endured.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disregard the last part of my post. I just remembered that your most recent event was a couple of days ago. Have you been advised yet of what went wrong?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disregard the last part of my post. I just remembered that your most recent event was a couple of days ago. Have you been advised yet of what went wrong?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
34 miles is not new. My 2003 had 2-1/2 miles on it and has been flawless for over 8000 miles. I refuse to take it in for the headlight recall as I have found that the headlight switch is not the problem but lies in how you go from high beam to low beam. One tends to rotate the headlight control.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperLSS is a great guy, and I had the extreme pleasure to meet him on a factory tour about 3 years ago. His love of his job and this car was VERY evident. He just oozed excitement.

ViperLSS, you represent your co-workers to the highest degree. Keep up the exceptional work, ---- and your passion.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man that ***** sorry to hear about all your trouble.

I'll take her off your hands of shes that much trouble. lol

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although it was several years ago, I did take Chevrolet to task on a vehicle that I bought and had nothing but problems with. I won big under Wisconsin's Lemon Law.

Your first step is to call Dept of Ag. consumer protection. They are very helpful, and will explain the process, and get you the forms if you want to proceed. It is not an overnight process but it does work. The state assigns a mediator to work with you so you can always verify with them if he/she is legit.

If you do decide to proceed, the manufacturer will not roll over so be prepared to stand up to what you believe in.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you explode, why don't you call DC directly and explain the problems to them. Give them a chance to have someone like Tom Sessions look at the car. Tom is the service director of a dealership in N.C. and is the hotshot troubleshooter that DC uses to take care of problems. He is also the tech inspector for the Viper Racing Leage and Viper Days. Trust me, he can get ANYTHING squared away. My guess is that if you are reasonable with DC they will respond in kind by offering the help from Tom. If you'd like to call Tom directly, his number is 910 799-4210. It's a much better place to start than Lemon Laws.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960