I am so sorry for starting another stereo thread...

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I promise this one will be quick...

I FINALLY got around to tackling a project I sorta started 4 years ago - building an Alpine-to-Jensen adapter to install my VM 9512 from my Dodge Stratus that I just sold.

Using my Viper shop service manuals and this diagram:

You must be registered for see images attach

...I built my own harness. I used a factory Alpine plug that I removed from a defunct Alpine unit I bought off of Ebay, and an 8-pin female DIN adapter with pins.

From the diagram above, I wired the POSITIVE's of each speaker as labeled - pin 7 rear left, pin 5 rear right, pin 3 front left, pin 1 front right. To pin 6 I wired both rear grounds, and to pin 2, both front grounds. Pin 4 got the remote wire. Pin 8 - labeled "Ground" - I simply connected to battery ground - or the "GND" of the factory plug pictured on the left side of the above image. Basically, battery ground.

Was this a mistake? Everything WORKS - I get sound and if I turn up the volume, it sounds pretty good. But when I turn the volume very low, I get a high-pitched whine/buzz, and this is with the car in accessory mode - not running.

I'm wondering if I should have run all four speaker grounds to pin 8, thus leaving pins 6 and 2 empty.

The other option is that I didn't use the pre-outs, so I might simply have too hot of a signal coming from the Jensen, but I'm not getting any distortion (at least until the speakers start to buzz - I really should replace them at some point...)

I really don't have money to mess with new amps or speakers, nor the time to gut the car and run all new wires. We have a baby on the way and I'm working two jobs right now... Just trying to get this Jensen to work.

Any advice on my wiring is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please please please - anyone? I was going to run to Radio Shack in a few hours and grab some RCA solder-type plugs to try and rewire this for my pre-outs, but not sure if I should do that or try to adjust the grounds first... Need to get this project done today!

Thanks!!

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds to me like your grounds are not good. They can cause that buzzing sound. Did you get it figured out?

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah - I did last night. I wired everything up exactly like I had it but used RCA solder-pin plugs and plugged into the pre-outs from my head unit. Fitting it all in there was an absolute ***** - had to cut a small plastic trim that runs between the stereo and HVAC cubbies, and had to kinda bend the tray that supports the factory head-unit. But it sounds good, looks good, works good, and the only thing I have to worry about is the SOB overheating because it's so tight back there.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to do the same thing you are; glad to hear that you used pin 8 GND to the car's GND and also mated together two RCA grounds to each pin 2 and 5.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your absolute best bet is to run brand new wires to all the speakers. Also chances are that Jensen unit is putting too much signal into the stock amp. What is the Jensen rated at? 45x4? If its 40x4 or above there is no point to utilizing the oem amp.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960