I Got a Baffling Comment Today

Ackermania

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was parked in a parking lot and a guy came up to me asking about the car. I got the usual "what year?" "how much?" etc. Then he said "you know, I always liked yellow on these and the S2000s. They have such similar engines. Know what I mean?" At this point, I was stunned and couldn't think of anything to say other than yep. I didn't want to come off as being mean by correcting him as he was obviously excited to see the car.

This comment has been haunting me all day. I can't even fathom how he could see any similarity between a big, American V10 and that little, high-revving, Japanese 4 ******. Maybe he wasn't sure what kind of car the Viper was? I really have no clue what he could have meant. Do any of you?

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Stupid is as stupid does. I wouldn't have been able to contain myself so I commend you on your restraint. I'm thinking a ***** slap of epic proportions would have been in order if I had been in your place. Comparing the Viper to a ****ing Honda is a crime! You should have smacked the taste right out of his mouth!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Who knows...but, as I recall, not only did more-than-one person proclaim that the Gen III convertibles looked like a large scale S-2000, but some "automotive journalist" proclaimed that when the S-2000 reached 6000 rpm (on the way to 9000), the torque suddenly "turned on" surprising unweary drivers not unlike the low end torque in the SRT-10's.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about every kid with a Honda says I have the best looking Viper with a widebody kit they've ever seen...and no, I don't have a street serpent!

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Hmmmm.... intersting view. Never looked at it that way. Thanks for the compliment - late meeting my spouse/for my daughters recital - I'm sure you understand. Don't mind me - have to be on my way."

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
reminds me when one idiot asked me once when i was out with my 09 ACR about why did i choose it over the new mustang :omg:

Last edited:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao:I've had a similar experience.

A 60ish year old neighbor stopped by my house one day to admire my brand new Sebring (97 GTS). :rolleyes: He said that most non-gear heads don't appreciate the power that the V-6s in these babies have. :omg:

:rolaugh:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe not as dumb as that guy's comment to you, but I was at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership once and the salesman said, "Nice Viper. Those have the Corvette engine in them?" And he was dead serious. Wow!

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe not as dumb as that guy's comment to you, but I was at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership once and the salesman said, "Nice Viper. Those have the Corvette engine in them?" And he was dead serious. Wow!
:omg: thats so ignorant its not even funny :lmao:

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...This kind of stuff happens all the time. Not everyone has the car savy that most of us have.
A few years ago a friend and I were in his Porsche at a mall parking lot. An older gentleman who was admiring the Porsche told my friend how much he liked his new
model VW and he might like to get one for himself. My friend chuckled and told him that he liked them much better than the old model even thought they cost a good bit more. The old guy never knew the difference and we both had a good laugh about it.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HERE GOES THE GEN 2 GUYS AGAIN....

I miss my 99 rt10..If I ever get another one tough it will be all black vrs the red..

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he was testing you........ :)

So I was parked in a parking lot and a guy came up to me asking about the car. I got the usual "what year?" "how much?" etc. Then he said "you know, I always liked yellow on these and the S2000s. They have such similar engines. Know what I mean?" At this point, I was stunned and couldn't think of anything to say other than yep. I didn't want to come off as being mean by correcting him as he was obviously excited to see the car.

This comment has been haunting me all day. I can't even fathom how he could see any similarity between a big, American V10 and that little, high-revving, Japanese 4 ******. Maybe he wasn't sure what kind of car the Viper was? I really have no clue what he could have meant. Do any of you?

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate when people ask me how much the car is....I even get it when I drive my GTR....it makes me very uncomfortable....I always tell them it costs about 40K and they are amazed....maybe they can get one too :D

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate when people ask me how much the car is....I even get it when I drive my GTR....it makes me very uncomfortable....I always tell them it costs about 40K and they are amazed....maybe they can get one too :D

I get it all the time, as well (even in my DD Magnum R/T which is most often spotless and as new in appearance). I never quote a figure, right or wrong, high or low. I usualy turn it around on them, asking what they think it's worth or how much they would pay, this tends to difuse the situation putting the pressure on them to either come up with a number or justify their very rude inquiry. Money is such a touchy subject with a lot of people anyway, and you never know when you're going to "set someone off" these days!

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get it all the time, as well (even in my DD Magnum R/T which is most often spotless and as new in appearance). I never quote a figure, right or wrong, high or low. I usualy turn it around on them, asking what they think it's worth or how much they would pay, this tends to difuse the situation putting the pressure on them to either come up with a number or justify their very rude inquiry. Money is such a touchy subject with a lot of people anyway, and you never know when you're going to "set someone off" these days!

I said once it was worth 300,000 :)

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership today, and he tried to get me to look at a minivan. Why do I have to see a minivan if my 3 year old is climbing in the back of the pickup asking about towing a Viper trailer (like all the cool ones at Carlisle last week...)

Dietz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once got "so, ive never seen speakers on the outside of a car, is it pretty loud? who makes them?" I just told the guy that I did it all by myself but i screwed up on the wiring and they dont work.

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you sure he wasn't pulling your chain just to see if you would go home that night and tell all your Viper buds how clueless he was?

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the S2k first appeared, it only came in roadster version (Just like the GEN 1 and 3 Vipers). There was no nanny controls and many of the '00-'03 S2000's were prone to lift off oversteer so many people wrecked them (Again, just like the Viper.) IMO, the spirit of both cars are very similar. Its just the engine that differs them. Oh yeah, and the fact that a Viper has balls of steel compared to the S2k's prepubescentness lol

OP
OP
A

Ackermania

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure he wasn't pulling your chain just to see if you would go home that night and tell all your Viper buds how clueless he was?

He seemed very serious. He was literally giddy with excitement to see the car. I was still in the lot when he was leaving and he still looked excited and gave me a thumbs up as he was driving away. I don't think he intended the comment to be a knock on Vipers. The only thing I can think of is that he thought it was another car (I have no clue which one) or maybe he just doesn't know what engine is in each car. Although he came over and looked at the interior that has Viper written on the seats right next to his face and the car was running so it should be obviously not a 4 cylinder car. I don't know.

When the S2k first appeared, it only came in roadster version (Just like the GEN 1 and 3 Vipers). There was no nanny controls and many of the '00-'03 S2000's were prone to lift off oversteer so many people wrecked them (Again, just like the Viper.) IMO, the spirit of both cars are very similar. Its just the engine that differs them. Oh yeah, and the fact that a Viper has balls of steel compared to the S2k's prepubescentness lol

I like the S2k, don't get me wrong. I think they are great little cars and a few of my friends have had them. I agree, they really are fun, but the engines aren't even close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte