I measured the Decibel Level in my Cabin

Richard H. Vitale

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I purchased my Viper about 2 years ago, the first thing I did was remove the aftermarket sound system, not because I don't like to drive to good music, but because I couldn't hear the stereo over the engine and exhaust.

Today, I thought it might be interesting to pick up a digital decibel meter from Radio Shack and take readings from inside and outside of my car. Outside at idle, 1 foot away from the pipe, approximately 121 dbs. Inside the cabin , at 45 - 55 mph, 4th gear & 5th gear, approx 112 dB to 125 dB. As a point of reference, 130 dB equates to a jet taking off at 100 - 200 ft, or a shotgun firing. Offically, the threshold of pain is 125 dB.

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats awesome, i guess sound systems are all out unless you quiet the exhaust down

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What RPM were you at? Was at in the range where you get some droning? What kind of exhaust do you have?

I can hear my audio very well over the exhaust. Just turn it up :)

OP
OP
R

Richard H. Vitale

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What RPM were you at? Was at in the range where you get some droning? What kind of exhaust do you have?

I can hear my audio very well over the exhaust. Just turn it up :)

From memory... RPMs were somewhere around 2000 - 3500 maybe?

I have: (1) Roe Racing RT/10 high flow stainless steel 3 inch side exhaust, (2) with catalytic converters, (3) Borla mufflers, and (4) Belanger 1 3/4" ceramic coated headers.

Yes, the droning kicked in. Ive got an Autoform top which seems to make it resonate in the cabin louder. Take the top off, and the windows, it actually quites down a bit.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting ... A few years ago I won the "Decibel Derby" at Hot Rod Supercruise West. 121 decibels @7,000rpm at WOT with open headered 600hp 440.

My 98 supercharged Viper was pretty quiet with stock headers,Roe Hi-flows and Random Tech Cat back - no mufflers. Idled loud, cruised quiet and reasonable at WOT.

My 'new' 01 Supercharged 01 Viper has Bellanger 1 3/4" headers and Corsa exhaust with round canister mufflers at the back. Extremely loud at idle, a quiet rumble under 2200rpm and ear hurting loud at WOT.

Cruising is quiet and easy to have a normal conversation while driving the car.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang