If GM purchases Chrysler would they (GM) keep Viper

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just posted this in general Viper section but here is the link to GM talking about buying Chrsyler...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17186447/

I kinda like the idea...now all they need to do is get figure out the union and health care thing...

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the idea of GM and Chrysler getting together in any way, shape, or form makes me want to puke. I think better chance for Carlos Ghosn and Nissan/Renault to be involved with Chrysler.

eagles

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If so the 2 children (Viper & Vette) would be at each others throats...just like me and my brother (who drives a Porshe but that is another story).

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure as hell hope GM doesn't buy Chrysler. Quality would go down the drain...

Let alone I doubt that they'd keep the Viper.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
According to Dodge insiders, it only would involve the Chrysler brand vehicles, with no immediate impact on any Dodge (Viper) or Jeep brand vehicles. Dodge and Jeep are too valuable to Mercedes -- but they want to dump the Chrysler brand.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man that would be great! Fianlly a truck that can take a beating (Chevy) with a killer motor (Cummins), and Dodge's design team to make the truck look good.
Not to mention Dodge's wheel design team needs to kick out Chevy's wheel design team!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Dodge insiders, it only would involve the Chrysler brand vehicles, with no immediate impact on any Dodge (Viper) or Jeep brand vehicles. Dodge and Jeep are too valuable to Mercedes -- but they want to dump the Chrysler brand.

I'd love to hear where that came from, the Chrysler unit is the entire company. Splitting the company makes no logical sense. As far as GM not being able to buy a auto manufacturer, come on. Forget the pensions and health care issues they use as their cost crying towel, they lost BILLIONS backing out of buying the worst car company in the world......Fiat. A car company stupid enough to even consider buying Fiat could easily get caught up in purchasing Chrysler.

I'd love to see Chrysler come back to America, but GM is a mismanaged American giant with horrible dealers and dubious quality. As much as I hate to admit it, Daimler is a first class operation that has helped advance quality and engineering at Dodge. I guess the future will be interesting.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the K Mart buying Sears thing I will never say never regarding one company purchasing another.

But the thought is SCARY.

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would be bad. The older I get and the more GM products I've owned, I hate GM more and more everyday. I would absolutly hate for this to happen and regardless even if they kept the Viper around. I don't know if I'd want a GM built viper.

I don't even want to think about this! Can't believe you even posted it!! :)

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even as bad a shape as both companies are in, something that could dampen the whole deal would be if the FTC did not approve the deal. I am not sure how they would view the auto industry or if they would even look at it, but I am familiar with an industry that has to divest assets or gets blocked completely when mergers and buyouts are attempted due to an ufair competitive advanatage or monopoly.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can see it now, the "2010 Corviper" 800HP stock, NAV, HUD, traction control, and the first Viper to fit someone over 5' 6" comfortably!

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'd love to hear where that came from, the Chrysler unit is the entire company. Splitting the company makes no logical sense. As far as GM not being able to buy a auto manufacturer, come on. Forget the pensions and health care issues they use as their cost crying towel, they lost BILLIONS backing out of buying the worst car company in the world......Fiat. A car company stupid enough to even consider buying Fiat could easily get caught up in purchasing Chrysler.

I'd love to see Chrysler come back to America, but GM is a mismanaged American giant with horrible dealers and dubious quality. As much as I hate to admit it, Daimler is a first class operation that has helped advance quality and engineering at Dodge. I guess the future will be interesting.

It's the truth. Mercedes loves the Jeep brand, and Dodge is their platform for the light truck business (very important to a global auto company). But they've decided that they don't need Chrysler against the Mercedes brand -- not enough world-wide potential. They're broadening the Mercedes lineup, and Chrysler is pretty much a failure. The Chrysler brand is the only unit up for sale.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the Chrysler division has big potential for GM if managed right. The Pacifica and 300 models are selling and the redesign of the Stratus looks promising. If GM is allowed to grow, after trimming the fat in Chrysler management, it will be larger than ever. That will give GM more power to fight the international competition. GM will be better able to negotiate for pricing on raw materials and will be able to consolidate R$D costs.

I thing it is about time the American Government loosens the reigns on corporations. What used to be viewed as a monopoly in the 1980's is more of what is needed today to compete with China and Korea and their cheap labor and skewed currency valuation.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the Chrysler division has big potential for GM if managed right. The Pacifica and 300 models are selling and the redesign of the Stratus looks promising. If GM is allowed to grow, after trimming the fat in Chrysler management, it will be larger than ever. That will give GM more power to fight the international competition. GM will be better able to negotiate for pricing on raw materials and will be able to consolidate R$D costs.

I thing it is about time the American Government loosens the reigns on corporations. What used to be viewed as a monopoly in the 1980's is more of what is needed today to compete with China and Korea and their cheap labor and skewed currency valuation.

The Sebring/Stratus has got the be the boringest platform in the world since the Ford 500. YAWN.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think GM's interest would be to merge Chrysler with some of the Buick models and then discontinue the Buick name. GM would also pick up a true Minivan to allow them to enter that segment as well. The 'Aspen' would go bye bye, and the 'Firepower' was always just a concept to try and entice somebody like GM as to seeing the brand potential for Chrysler.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM isn't going to buy Chrysler, but they may develop technology together. GM's got enought of their own problems and needs product not a project. If someone does buy Chrysler it will be; Nissan/Renault, the Chinese or a venture capital fund. Nissan/Renault needs trucks, Chinese need an established dealer body and the VC's have cash and know how to extract value. Best for all would be the VC's, they'd keep existing managment, maybe induce Lutz or Wolfgang back, and get the company back to profitability. Viper has strong brand value and relatively low costs, with all of their problems they've got bigger fish to fry. Who knows, a sale could be a plus for viper.

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is much more likely that a cash rich company like Chery that is backed by the Chinese Gov would buy the Chrysler division of DCX.

There is a proposal on the table for this scary deal, lets see what happens

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is much more likely that a cash rich company like Chery that is backed by the Chinese Gov would buy the Chrysler division of DCX.

There is a proposal on the table for this scary deal, lets see what happens

Sorry... as much as I love the Viper, I will NOT buy a new one if Dodge is Chinese owned. The Gen1-2 are still the ultimate "AMERICAN" hot rod. :2tu: