illinois members.. got my emissions notice...

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also interested. I recently moved from KS (no inspection) to Schaumburg IL. I have similar mods with Sean Roe high flow cats and Borla cat back. I still have stock exhaust system but was getting ready to throw it away... Your thoughts please???

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what computer you have assisting your PCM.

I passed no problem with Split second, and VEC2. That's making 700+rhwp/tq from my full exhuast and Heffner SCi.
Now AEM, that's another story!

Don't worry! :D

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got my notice a few weeks back for my 2001 GTS. I took it in and they tested my gas cap to make sure it was sealing properly and then they used the OBDII connection to test that all emission control devices were operating properly and that no trouble codes were present. The whole test took about 5 mins. No looking under the car or under the hood. No running the car on a dyno. They just plugged in the OBDII connector under the dash and started the car. I have the stock computer. After you pass you don't have to go back in for another test for about 2.5 years.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No visual under the HOOD! :D

Of course, they ran the mirror underneath, checked the gas cap, hooked up the computer, started her up, and said "Thanks, but it ***** we couldn't run yours on the Drum"!! :eek: :D

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSTF,

Where should I begin, Hmmmm. Well, first off do not under any circumstances reset your PCM. This includes: clearing codes with a handheld, disconnecting your battery, or pulling your PCM plugs. Illinois standards on emmissions is based on a no-fault/no-fail rule. This means that when they plug into your OBD2 system, the only thing they want to see is that your system is accurately regulating your emmisions. They throw a battery of tests at each component of the system which replies with a "pass, fail, or not-ready" response for each test.

Now back to the PCM, when you reset your PCM you are in-effect wiping out all of the diagnostic data that has been logged in your PCM, forcing the system to create a new baseline to work off of. This is the process we call "re-learning". What this does is put your system into a not-ready state, until you've gone through a series of complete drive cycles (can't remember how many but 2-3 days of regular driving is sufficient). Also do not show up with any kind of sims on you will "FAIL"! And until the PCM has formulated a baseline, you will NOT pass the Illinois emmisions test. Now, the above mentioned is only in the event that you had to recently clear a CEL (Check engine light) and/or had some work done that required the disconnection of your battery (which is stated on the back of your notice).

So, in early December I too decided to make my trip down to the testing center for my first test on this car. Now, besides a laundry list of (power adder) mods my car doesn't have cat's, and to make matters worse it's louder than an elephant with his nuts zip-tied together.

It was a nice sunny day (and was I nervous). After waiting in line a few minutes , I found myself BS-ing with the pimply faced youth at the testing booth. We laughed at how obnoxiously loud my car was and I was happy to let him sit in it and rev it a little (turning lot's of heads) some impressed others startled. Moments later with my enviromentally compliant (LOL) car, I pulled away with my piece of paper that said "Pass" :D .

Also, if by chance you experience any problems like the ones above. Not passing doesn't necessarily mean you failed, if your system was in a "not-ready" state. You will in effect be given (if I remeber correctly) a VOID card. Meaning your test was inconclusive and for all intents and purposes never happened and you have to come back and do it again.

"FAIL" means one of the diagnostic components was not working correctly (i.e. - sims in place of O2 sensors).I unfortunately had to find this all out the hard way, because I cleared a bogus CEL (while cleaning my engine compartment I disconnected my intake sesnsor and started my car before reconnecting) 24 hours before the test. I hope this helps...

Good Luck

~Matt~

OP
OP
G

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the responses, guys. i just wanted to be assured that no punk-a$$ high schooler is going to hop in and start running the test himself.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had mine done last summer. Took all of about 5 minutes and I was out of there. I pulled in. They connect to the computer and that was it. I'm catless with O2 sims, headers, borlas, smooth tubes, etc...

Should be no problem.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chicago GTS, please elaborate on the effect of sims. Why would they necessarily cause one to fail? I'm considering 'em but certainly want to pass. Also, without sims, how'd you achieve the pass with no cats? You're our Illinois boys' hero!

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DrumrBoy,

I don't know exactly which of the two would be the culperate in regards to the sims, but I believe one of the test's is based on voltage response and CEL sensitivity. You're sims were designed to always give the same "sim"-ulated response. The data "Air Team" throw's at your PCM is meant to test the sensitivity of your CEL sensor response. Meaning one of the test's they run is specifically meant to throw a CEL light with bad emissions data. I think the problem is that your sims won't let the PCM validate the CEL and that portion of the test fails, basically because your sims did their job.

Now, besides the obvious physical differences between "creampuff" GenII's 00-03 and "forged" GenII's 97-99, creampuffs have more stringent standards for acceptable emissions before the CEL is activated (if I recall the range reduction is around 50% less). It's for that reason that sims are installed. The only thing they do is give the an acceptable reading to the PCM, they don't affect your air/fuel and they have no other purpose than avoiding a CEL. Creampuff's can't remove there cat's because they will in "most" cases throw a CEL. Thanks to the more lax emission requirements on "forged" models we can run catless without throwing a CEL, that's why I passed. So, judging by the lens over your fog lights w/ red/silver you are also driving a 98' and you shouldn't need them either if you're considering removing your cats. If you do take them out make sure you give the car time to "re-learn" before you take the test. Oh, and obviuosly you'll also pick up a bit more HP as well.

~Matt~

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Matt...didn't know the AirTeam was throwing data at the PCM. Stupidly I figured the hook up was just downloading data.

You're right, its a 98 but believe it or not I'm having a tough time even "failing" the test. I've been inspected at least 6 times in the past few months and I'm always "not ready"...even after hundreds of miles of driving. The driving part is OK by me...the Not Ready part is ******* Jesse White off a bit.

If the club has another Dyno Day this spring, I'll try to catch up with you and compare notes on exhaust, cats and sims...that is if Jesse doesn't pull my license..... :shocked:

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad