I'm gonna puke:(

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I were you I would send it to Will @ RSI. His prices are unbeatable.

But if you want to sell the whole car engine-less let me know....I have been looking for a clean GTS to build.

I think I am going to go with Will. It may be a good time to do a forged motor and his team definitely know what they are doing. We are talking about a head/cam package too. The whole thing (with travel to and from) is going to be about 12K even. So I could have gone the dealer route for about 12-15K to have the same creampuff or I could go with a trusted Viper Brand with RSI and get a brand new "feeling" when I step into the car. IF I were to sell the car I think 30K would be where I am at. I mean it's a 2000 GTS ACR 1 of 35 in the Registry. Only 35 solid red's were produced that year. It's all original except the exhaust. BBS wheels, the branding, racing harnesses are all still in the vehicle. It's a good car. However I think I am going to go fix her up and get the forged motor and heads/cam work done. I just have to really sit back and analyze my finances and see if it's the right time to do this.

For everyone who has PM'ed me and called I really appreciate everything. Thank you all so much.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would give you 25k for it less engine and trans. I have a Aftermarket gen2 510 stroker with ported heads and forged bottom end i was going to put into my Challenger but changed my mind and want a gen2 viper. i am going to keep the RT as a daily driver.

Good luck with what ever you do.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would give you 25k for it less engine and trans. I have a Aftermarket gen2 510 stroker with ported heads and forged bottom end i was going to put into my Challenger but changed my mind and want a gen2 viper. i am going to keep the RT as a daily driver.

Good luck with what ever you do.

My bad...I see where you were going with this line of thinking now that more has been explained. I got the sense all along though that he didn't want to get into the used parts retailer business at this stage of the game thus my reaction to your posts. Yes, 25K and he keeps the engine/trans would be a fair offer to him. That motor of yours sounds sick. You should sell it to him.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad...I see where you were going with this line of thinking now that more has been explained. I got the sense all along though that he didn't want to get into the used parts retailer business at this stage of the game thus my reaction to your posts. Yes, 25K and he keeps the engine/trans would be a fair offer to him. That motor of yours sounds sick. You should sell it to him.

I know I responded not sure what happened to it. Odd.

No worries Ellow, I am not thin skinned. I honestly Lol'd your post.

As far as the engine goes, everything has a price but I would rather use it myself than sell it. I really am looking for a '00 or '02 gray with the '02 being my top choice. The body must be clean, no frame mishaps and clean title. I might settle for red if the car is a acr and new car clean.

OP: sorry for the thread jack. Good luck on your quest.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have four (4) of the damn'd critters...this one is a 17 yr old female siamese and is having renal failure. Just goes with the age and condition...but it still ****** the h&ll out of me nonetheless. Sad thing is that she'll die soon and then I'll miss those smelly accidents....but I digress.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 12mile/Telegraph dealer is the WORST dealer to take it to. They don't have anyone that knows the Viper. I'm trying to find out where you can take it. Dick Scott Dodge used to be the best, but their good Viper tech retired. But for this particular issue, no dealer will do this. You need a trusted Machinist. I would start a new thread asking for help from the MCVO (in the subject line to get attention) to find a good shop to fix your threads. I still think this can be fixed for a couple hundred dollars locally. The shipping alone will cost you between $600 - $1000 to get the car to RSI. Seriously, come to Woodward today and talk to multiple car guys that look like they had a lot of work done to their engine, they will steer you in the right direction. We have more engine builders and machinist in the Metro area than any other place in the world. There is no need to send it out for something like this.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know the size of this bolt? I have a 96 GTS and when I changed my oil yesterday I went to check it and all I had was an 11/4 socket but it was slightly to big (going to have to buy the correct socket). Thanks in advance.....

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a 31MM SHORT SOCKET. I used a 1, 1/4 Socket but cut a beer can down to wrap around the flats of the Bolt to take up the slack ;)

Terminator2 Check out this thread for a guide and close up pics of the end of the crank

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...-gt-gt-(semi-write-up)?highlight=timing+cover

There's no way I could afford the thousands you are talking of! I have basic mechanical skills and had never worked on a viper before I got mine. As others have said this should NOT cost you the earth. Its your choice if you want to spend thousands but by the sound of what happened to the car, I don't think you have to.

Im sure Your local VCA Guys will steer you in the right direction :) A new harmonic balancer and bolt is a must ;)

Best of luck,
Mark.

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anybody know the size of this bolt? I have a 96 GTS and when I changed my oil yesterday I went to check it and all I had was an 11/4 socket but it was slightly to big (going to have to buy the correct socket). Thanks in advance.....

I believe my factory manual (for a 2000) states that 1-1/4 is the specified size. Make sure you use a 6 point socket, not a 12 point socket. The 6 point holds onto the bolt much better. In fact, I try never to use a 12 point socket unless I absolutely have to.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, my 1 1/4 was a multi-point so that could be the reason. I did also try a 6 point 32 mm socket (used for the rear axle shafts on my 3000gt) but it felt just as sloppy. I could have probably used the multipoint but the anal retentive in me said to step back and do homework. Not sure if the 1 1/4 converts closer to a 31mm though... Either way, I will get an 1 1/4 6 point!
Thanks!!!!!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a 2000 GTS I bought a 1, 1/4 six sided socket but it is on the slack side, so as I said, I cut down a beer can and wrapped some of the can around the bolt flats to take up the slack. (when your pulling 250lbs of torque you do not want any slack) a 31MM socket is a snug fit and recommended by that chap with the white hood vents in Texas ;)

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Fatboy, a 6 point 31mm it is. Another question, did you use the red loc tite on the threads when you re-assembled? I have the 1996 GTS guide from Chris Green and he suggests using the red loc tite...
Thoughts?

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Fatboy, a 6 point 31mm it is. Another question, did you use the red loc tite on the threads when you re-assembled? I have the 1996 GTS guide from Chris Green and he suggests using the red loc tite...
Thoughts?

Yes, use the red loc tite. That is what Chuck Tator told me to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte