Inside of GTS floor wet after hard downpour ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was parked in the rain yesterday during a pretty hard down pour.

I got in to drive today and could smell it was musty so I touched the floor.

The passenger side center of the floor was pretty wet to the touch (not a puddle) in a 3-4 inch circle, and it didn't seem to be wet around the door or the firewall. I looked up and couldn't see water dripping from the top of the windshield , BUT that is what is located directly above the wet area.

Could I have a leak in my windshield?

I've never noticed this before, so it may have just came from the pressure ... but I don't even get water inside when I go use the pressure washer at the car wash.

Besides the drains in the grille grate areas on the hood and beside the hatch , could there be a drain clogged that I am not seeing?

I have heard of the R/T's leaking but that is more expected out of a convertible.

Thanks! ---

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rain comes thru that speaker looking thing in your hood....

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It is a common event on in a heavy rain...water enters the passenger side screen in the hood and goes into the HVAC system, running through ducts to the passenger side mostly. Heavy rain over hours can overwhelm the drain found in the HVAC housing...so, for the future, make sure that flat tube rubber drain is open.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to look for the flat tube rubber drain you are talking about.

I realized the water went through those grills into a small hole but I thought it just dumped it to the ground, I didn't realize it was connected to the HVAC.

Thanks for pointing me where to look for something to be clogged though ... that's what my first thought was ---

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Literally HUNDREDS of Vipers suffered from this at the 2002 VOI in Nashville, TN as we were hit with torrential rains from the tail of a hurricane. Hood pads drained for hours when we all raised them.

GermanViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is a common event on in a heavy rain...water enters the passenger side screen in the hood and goes into the HVAC system, running through ducts to the passenger side mostly. Heavy rain over hours can overwhelm the drain found in the HVAC housing...so, for the future, make sure that flat tube rubber drain is open.

That's correct! Had the same event several times with mine here in Germany.

Bjoern

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It can certainly be a pain in the ASP !!
Fortunately, in our case, quick intervention worked well...no damage, no mold.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would remove, clean and dry carpeting and mats, clean and dry inside, treat any rust that you might see...allow a couple of days to be sure it is dry inside, then reinstall carpets and watch.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big worry is mold if the car stays closed up.

Find a dry area, open up the car, and put a fan inside until everything is bone dry.

"Snakes hate rain"

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really????
I've been asking/talking about leaks for years. Yes, gen1, (sometimes gen2) leak. These are sunny day cars but....

Just stay dry; It's the best advise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4