Install of factory A/C, new dash and shifter (pics) THANKS TATOR'S!

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've wanted factory a/c for my car for a while, and with parts getting scarce, I decided it was pretty much now or maybe never, so it was off to Tator's. The only parts that seem to be unavailable at the moment are two of the a/c lines, so I had to get those two parts from a dismantler.

Unbelievably, the a/c took no less than 31 parts, so it wasn't cheap by any means. Installation was over 18 hours of labor. Even with some Tator discounts, it was definitely a case of "don't ask, don't tell" to my wife for cost. Think almost 1/2 a Smart car.

I know I could have went cheaper with an aftermarket company, but I wanted it all factory, and at least I know what I'm getting with an installer I trust completely.

It was also a good time to change the dash, since it had to be removed anyway. My fuzzy one was in good shape, so I want to preserve it. I'm also not thrilled with the look of the gray. So I bought a spare dash, had it painted black, and also had Tator's install a gen II shifter with it, which I like better. Add some brushed aluminum accents, a VCA plaque, and all in all, I think it came out great....AND I'm now cool (well, temperature wise, anyway). Check out the pics.

Thanks Chuck and Rob for another great service.:2tu:

~Craig

Attachments

• viper black dash.jpg
    viper black dash.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 133
  • viper black dash (2).jpg
    viper black dash (2).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 113
  • viper black dash (3).jpg
    viper black dash (3).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 110

Broch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the dash, that is awesome. Where did you get the dash and who painted it? It looks great.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nice to have AC on GEN 1.
I often leave it on with top off. Keeps balls (or kneecaps) cool!:D (the one vent between the legs...)

Great looking dash too!

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Craig, nice pictures! LOVE the new dash and your shifter. Glad ya got a/c now, and yeah, ya simply cannot beat having CHUCK or ROB work on your Viper. VERY NICE~! ~juli

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Propsail the interior looks great! I can't believe you went this long without AC. I couldn't imagine how uncomfortable an RT/10 would be without it.

OP
OP
P

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I had a local auto body place here in Ct do the dash for me. I bought a used one and he quoted me $200 to paint the dash, center console, and trim pieces around the door handles. He was cursing me after putting about 15 hours or so into stripping the coat of paint from the last owner, and applying 2 coats of satin black paint over a primer. Hard as a rock and very durable, he says. It's a little shinier than I would have liked, but overall, it's really great and so much better than the fuzzy paint.

The satin aluminum gauge rings set it off nicely, I think, without being tacky. It would be nice to have the brushed aluminum interior handles of the 1999+ cars, but you can't have everything.

It was an expensive year for do-dads. Jeffs 3-piece top and windows, now this...but now I have a truly 3 season car. Oh, and you can't beat the crotch vent.:2tu:

Thanks again.
~Craig

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nice to have AC on GEN 1.
I often leave it on with top off. Keeps balls (or kneecaps) cool!:D (the one vent between the legs...)

Great looking dash too!

NOW keep your feet COOL as well - see pictures - self explanatory

AirConditioningVent01.JPG

AirConditioningVent02.JPG

The flexible tube is an old vacuum cleaner hose, long enough to route to the firewall and curve down onto you feet. You can also put the small (about 3"), flared vacuum attachment to "spread the air.

I did this to both sides and my wife loves it.

Later,

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig, Your very welcome and thank you! No one will know that your Viper did not come with A/C, unless someone runs your VIN#! :2tu:

Ruckdr, "re-distribution" has a new meaning! :smirk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang