Installing Woodhouse Performance Engine, Motor mounts on a Dodge Viper

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing Woodhouse Performance Engine, Motor mounts on a Dodge Viper

http://youtu.be/ji795oJ5pv0

This was a bigger job than the trans mount and my engine mount were rusted. I ended up braking off 3 of the 4 of bolts.
Changing mounts was a big help as one of my old mounts was ripped in half and the other was stretched a good 1/4 inch.

I took it out and it really helped the shifting but I have not had it anyplace to see if it helped the wheel hop.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice one Jay. :2tu:
Thanks for sharing.

Ironically I've just (yesterday) replaced my engine mounts too.
Maybe slightly eaiser for me as no bolts seized and my exhaust manifolds were already removed for something else.

Love the vid too.
As the video started I was sooo envious of your well equiped garage, so different from mine - car lift, windy gun, screw jack etc, garge to die for - I so want a car lift.
Then the 4lb hammer and 2"x3" piece of wood appeared which I instantly related to as a major part of my garage setup. :lmao:
Classic. :2tu:

Glad you eventually nailed it. :)

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't see his post either, but I had all the same problems, I used a punch to get the bolts out just using the weight of the punch to drive them out.

I with we could post to the Illustrated upgrade, it sure would be easier to find this kind of post.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to make and post that video. Had to laugh when you moved up in size of hammers! If it doesn't work, get a bigger hammer.

Who did you order the mounts from?

Thanks again.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my mounts from Woodhouse.

Sometimes even a bigger hammer won't work but it usually does.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work Jay once again. I've found that wearing gloves goes along way to a pain-free experience. Any plans for a R&R video on the diff pinion seal?

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually start with gloves and finish bare handed.
I would like to change my rear gear ratio, but not ready to tackle that yet.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. Don't take this the wrong way, but I couldn't stop laughing. To capture the frustration (that we DIY'ers run into during most project) on camera was just priceless. BFH, 2x4 drifts, wrenches slipping, bolts breaking, cameras falling... all reasons we love to be in the garage. I hope to pick a set of these up over the Winter.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im trying to work out in the Video what part of the mount you are trying to move with the wooden block and number 2 hammer?

Was the engine raised enough to release the locating mount stud from the frame?

If you are going to change these mounts for the first time I would recommend removing the side sills and undoing the front rubber exhaust mount to stop it tearing when raising the engine. I used Tonys guide in the How Tos section when replacing my mounts, I guess I was lucky that the mount bolts to the frame came undone with no problems!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To capture the frustration (that we DIY'ers run into during most project) on camera was just priceless. BFH, 2x4 drifts, wrenches slipping, bolts breaking, cameras falling... all reasons we love to be in the garage.

Really? As a fabricator / designer / mechanic I take pride in the fact I don't do all those things. Hence the #1 reason I don't let others work on my car.

Frustration is an excuse, not a goal.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done several mount installs on Gen 2-3-4 vipers. The trick is to heat the four mount nuts with a torch before removing them, they come off very easly if you heat them. If you don't you have about a 50/50 chance they will break.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? As a fabricator / designer / mechanic I take pride in the fact I don't do all those things. Hence the #1 reason I don't let others work on my car.

Frustration is an excuse, not a goal.

Are you saying that you've never ran up against a problem or gotten frustrated. I realize that you're an accomplished fabricator and I've seen some of your great products. That doesn't make you perfect. Have I had to beat a motor mount out with a 2x4 and hammer? No. I still appreciate the obstacles one can run across working on cars and trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im trying to work out in the Video what part of the mount you are trying to move with the wooden block and number 2 hammer?

I had a box end wrench on the top bolt to the motor mount nut and the 2x4 against the wrench trying to brake it loose without any luck.
Even after removing the mount and heating them up in the vice one of the bolts still broke off.

as far as the mount coming out they came out easy as the studs were broken off.
Putting back together I had to assemble them in place and put the engine to mount bolts in last.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I did wonder what you were up too :)

I think when I did mine, I removed the bottom bolt (to the frame), then undid the smaller top and bottom aluminum bracket to engine mounts, removed the OEM mounts with Alli bracket still attached then undone the main nut in the Vice :) ........I think that's what I did! :D

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tha

I think when I did mine, I removed the bottom bolt (to the frame), then undid the smaller top and bottom aluminum bracket to engine mounts, removed the OEM mounts with Alli bracket still attached then undone the main nut in the Vice :) ........I think that's what I did! :D

That what I did too as I could get enough leverage to turn or brake off the top mount bolt/stud so I unbolted the braket from the block.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice video....

Okay, but now have a question; you compare the new Woodhouse mounts to your old mounts which in most cases are worn or ripped/broken. Is there a noticeable difference when comparing the poly Woodhouse mounts to brand new factory Mopar mounts? Is it a track vs. street issue and, if so, which is preferred for regular driving on the street?

Thanks!

Reaction score
There is still a huge difference, we have changed mounts on a ton of brand new cars before they were even delivered because the owners knew how big a difference there was on their other Vipers. Not only for track cars either. If you can learn to love the added vibration (feel connected to the car) they will reward you with less wheel hop and improved "perceived" throttle response because there is no wind up and down when you work the go pedal.

Oh yea and you won't miss 3rd gear nearly as easily either!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is still a huge difference, we have changed mounts on a ton of brand new cars before they were even delivered because the owners knew how big a difference there was on their other Vipers. Not only for track cars either. If you can learn to love the added vibration (feel connected to the car) they will reward you with less wheel hop and improved "perceived" throttle response because there is no wind up and down when you work the go pedal.

Oh yea and you won't miss 3rd gear nearly as easily either!

Sounds like a win win win!

And more driveline vibration through the vehicle!? :omg: Where do I sign up! :nana: Love knowing how my motor is running by the "feel" of it. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang