INSURANCE ISSUE

BLUEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone been denied a claim resluting from an accident that occured while at a driving school??????? [color:red] [/color] The industry-standard private passenger auto policy (ISO) Form PP0001 (06-98 edition) or (01-05 edition)exclusion reads like this: “13. Loss to "your covered auto" or any "non-owned auto", located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of: a. Competing in; or b. Practicing or preparing for; any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest. “ However, I have Cincinnati Insurance which has a modified industry exclusion which deletes the " for the purpose of resulting in no coverage if inside a racing facility..PERIOD! I have fought this (with a lawyer) but have been turned down three times by Cincinnati. Also, if any one (especially living in Florida)has successfully filled such a claim and won, I would be happy to hear from you also.
This is the readers digest version of what I have been going through...I would be happy to elaborate for anyone who needs or wants to know more..
[color:blue] [/color] Thanks for listening!!
[color:blue] [/color] Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! [color:red] [/color]

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You may want to read this entire thread...and the ones before it:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=242408&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Such as:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=81730&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

and the original author's opinion about a year later:

"Been there, done that ! Progressive now has law on the books in GA (which will probably be followed in FL if a case of first impression) that interprets the Progressive policy language very much in favor of the insurance company. Every person is entitled to their day in court, but your chances aren't good with Progressive's policy."

Aside from above, if you BELIEVE in your case, get an informed, interested attorney, pay the bills and GO for it.

Good luck!!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rule is: If you can't afford to fix it don't put it on the track. Doesn't matter if your in a High Performance Driving School or goin 1/4 mile at a time....There is other insurance for Track Days or Racing...

OP
OP
BLUEVIPER

BLUEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I posted this because I am a new viper owner (1 year) and I took the Viper Days Class because it is promoted as being very beneficial for Viper owners. It is, afterall, the "official" driving school of the VCA, and all the articles I have read advocate "safe drving" through driving schools. Frank, my intent was not to race or drag race, but as the brochure says," We strive to make a positive impact on the lives of Viper owners and their families by teaching proper car handling and defensive driving techniques,"specifically!!!" for the Dodge Viper." Let's not forget the viper specific classroom sessions also. I have a stock viper with no modifications. I have a wife and seven and nine year old girls that like to take rides with me. I assumed that I would be a safer and more knowledgeable driver if I took the course. I assumed that in the "real world" my training "at highway speeds" would come in handy at some point. I was not there to race or drag race but to learn. My experience, except for the accident, was highly positive and I gained invaluable knowledge of my car both on and off the track. The fact that my insurance company "would have" covered me if I was on a highway and the same situation occurred (as did at the class) seems a bit contradictary to me.
I wonder how many other Viper owners who have or will take the class realize that they may not be covered?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue....I think you might have misunderstand my position on this. I mentioned nothing about "Racing" I did mention 1/4 mile at a time... Once you make the decision to put your car on the Track, even for a Viper Days Class which is a High Performance Driving School. You need to have everything figured out...I understand the Viper Days Class & driving school (i came up thru the ranks). I am really sorry that your insurance will not cover the costs to rebuild your Viper. There is seperate TRACK INSURANCE. You might think that it is expensive, but INSURANCE is "WHAT IF". I believe you can be covered for as little as 3 events.

You mentioned your wife & children like to take rides with you. Just be thankful you can still do this...Do you have a will?

OP
OP
BLUEVIPER

BLUEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,
The point of the whole matter is that I was unaware that I would not be covered under a "driving class". If I would have known this fact, and the fact that seperate insurance was available to me I would have obviously gone that route. I do not know what this TRACK INSURANCE costs so I have no comment as to if it is expensive. The cost of TRACK INSURANCE is irrelevant though, since if I knew that I would have needed it I would have purchased it.
You mention that you "came up thru the ranks". I assume that you have gone to Viper Days School? If so, I assume that you were aware of the insurance risk and purchases the addition track insurance the first time you went? Did you mention it to other drivers or make this point known to others?
The whole point of my posts is to find out what others have done in the past and if most of the people who take the Viper Days class (for the first time) are unaware of the risk and limits of their car insurance(or lack of).

OP
OP
BLUEVIPER

BLUEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: INSURANCE ISSUE?????????????????

Who does everybody have for car insurance?
How is the your exclusion for "racing" written;
Standard industry format or policy specific?

Dave

WTMAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: INSURANCE ISSUE?????????????????

I have State Farm and my agent called the underwriters dept. and they said that if I take my car to the track for racing or drag and get into an accident, I am covered 100% as long as the car is not used for that purpose only