Interesting article on the USA's fastest cars

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Interesting article on the USA\'s fastest cars

The SSC was unveiled at the St Pete Exotic Car dinner. Good-looking car, had a Chevy V8 in it.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So if I was saying to myself now what I said to myself 5 years ago, that I wanted the fastest American production car made under 100k, today, I would have to buy a Vette?

AC

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<<Dodge sells the Viper in low volumes to a set of lunatics who care almost entirely about forceful, sometimes painful deliveries of power (the 510-hp V-10 produces 0-to-60 mph acceleration in less than four seconds)--and almost not at all about being comfortable.>>

I LOVE that description! :headbang:

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does the Vette really count with its plush options and GPS NAVIGATION???

I like what the Road & Track article said, "The Vette is a girls car with its navigation system, because real men don't need directions." (or airbags, windows and a top...j/k)

I don't like this, "...the classic convertible..." Nothing about the SRT-10 is classic Viper. It looks nothing like or is even similar to the true classic, the RT/10

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It doesn't matter. Fast is fast. I do't care if the Vette has a massage seats. It is faster. That *****.

Dodge needs to step it up beyond anyone's reach, at least for a few years. And don't think Chevy will stop here. Wait till next year.

AC

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Love the first sentence of the Viper slide
"Dodge sells the Viper in low volumes to a set of lunatics ..."

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The best thing that could happen to the GenIII Viper is have fierce competition to force it to be even better...now if they would just drop the cup holder...

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does the Vette really count with its plush options and GPS NAVIGATION???

So a car has to be minimalistic and ride rough to count?

Don't ever drive a Porsche Turbo/Ferrari/Aston Martin is that is the case.

And just all my cars ride rough and are loud but that's not the ONLY thing that matters.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know its not the only thing that matters, but that's why I love my Viper much more than I did my Vette, because its pure, unadulterated power. At one time that's what a Vette was also, but not anymore...

I'm just trying to poke a little fun at our Vette buddies...and I didn't really say anything about riding well, I was just making fun of the NAV system...

Reaction score

<<Dodge sells the Viper in low volumes to a set of lunatics who care almost entirely about forceful, sometimes painful deliveries of power (the 510-hp V-10 produces 0-to-60 mph acceleration in less than four seconds)--and almost not at all about being comfortable.>>

I LOVE that description! :headbang:

Hahaha. Agreed. But I love it because of style not "forceful, sometimes painful deliveries of power."

Question (Sorry to go kinda off topic) but are Vipers really uncomfortable cars? Honestly I'm worried I won't be able to fit in the damn things.

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score

One Day I'll Have One

I just drove back from San Antonio non-stop, 500 miles, in my GTS. I spent 8.5 hours in relative comfort. No worries. Didn't even notice absence of dead pedal.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck 98, my point is that if I were new to the market and wanted the fastest, most powerful american production car for under 100K, I would be looking at the Vette over the Viper. In 2000 when I bought, there was no argument, but Dodge has failed and now it's a different story.

You guys just can't let go and be honest. I wouldn't trade my 2000 RT/10 over any Vette now, but that's not what I am comparing. I am comparing new to new. 06 Viper against 06 Vette, and every magazine out there rates the Viper second.

AC

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck 98, my point is that if I were new to the market and wanted the fastest, most powerful american production car for under 100K, I would be looking at the Vette over the Viper. In 2000 when I bought, there was no argument, but Dodge has failed and now it's a different story.

You guys just can't let go and be honest. I wouldn't trade my 2000 RT/10 over any Vette now, but that's not what I am comparing. I am comparing new to new. 06 Viper against 06 Vette, and every magazine out there rates the Viper second.

AC

Wait a minute. You're saying we can't let go, yet you wouldn't trade your Viper for any Vette? Why doesn't that apply to the rest of us? Everyone, EVERYONE agrees that the new Z06 has finally beat the Viper. It will also beat a Ferrari. Which would your rather own/drive?

Viper, Ferrari, Vette - three different animals with three completely different rides and feel.

Congrats GM, your Vette feels like driving a Cadillac - something I'm not interested in. Maybe when I'm 70.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, getting picky. I wouldn't trade my 00 viper cause I like the looks of the old lines and the way I have the car set up.

What I mean by not letting go, is that no matter what the facts are, there are still guys who can't accept that the '06 Vette is rated 1, Viper 2, and they will come up with every excuse imaginable to justify why it's all baloney; as though none of the magazine articles have any validity. It makes my laugh how to SOME guys in the Viper world, the Viper coud never be knocked down off the top. Well, it happened. I don't like it, and I still think Dodge blew it in the coupe design, but hey, there is always next time.

I'll feel better when I win the CC raffle.

AC

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Andrew, who are you kidding? Even if I came over with 10 million in cash you wouldn't sell. That bucket of bolts is going to be sitting in your driveway way after your in a wheelchair.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, it'll still be there. But if you came over with 10 mill cash, I'd have the Vette, the Comp Coupe, the GT 40 and lots more. Try me. :usa:

Hey Greg, by the way, shouldn't you change that picture in your profile to a JEEP !!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AC

If there is anyone who isn't letting go it's you guys from the SRT-bashing camp. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Just curious, what do you plan on doing with the CC if you win it?

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

THE VETT *****

SCOTTTTTTTTTTTTT SCOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT SCOTTTTTTTTTTTT

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Steve,

The SRT-10 has a dead pedal, you ought to pick one up. ;) Just messing with you. But on a serious note, my Autoform hardtop will be in early next week. I'm getting married on the 10th and will be out of town for a week after that, but I'll shoot you an email or PM when I get back and we can get together so you can check it out.

Kenny

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck, tell you the truth, I don't think I can afford to race it. I don't know what I would do with it. Probably take ownership, look at it for a while and decide. It would kill me to sell.

AC

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there are still guys who can't accept that the '06 Vette is rated 1, Viper 2, and they will come up with every excuse imaginable to justify why it's all baloney

The C6 Vette is a 400hp car that will be destroyed by a Mustang (The Shelby GT 500) that comes out next year. The Z06 is a limited production car that just beat the Viper SRT10. Car mags in previous years still picked the Vette as the "better" car for various reasons..ie: "More bang for the buck","more comfortable" or "roomier trunks". Who cares! GM has major financial problems and may file for Chapter 11.
Last VOI Dodge introduced the SRT Coupe. This VOI Dodge might introduce the Gen IV.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Face it.We didn't buy Vipers for ride,comfort,trunk space,practicality etc.We bought it because it is a drivers car.Makes our blood boil.Chalenges our abilities.Screx auto trans,cup holders,radios and etc. GTS Bruce

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well I drive mine every day :cool: :2tu: :usa: and I need a cup holder :eek: I have the MGW, but it ***** :confused: as you can't use it without spilling. For now I use the Wally World spec :usa: until I can finish my own version :cool:

Other than that, the VIPER :usa: is still the sickest car out there bar none. You can drive on the street, or drive it straight to the track, and not even have to change your tires.
I go to Willow Springs every 3 months(the fastest track in the West) and the Viper kicks butt.
If you want what the Jones have, go buy a ZO6, if you want a real muscle car, the Viper wins hands down :2tu: :usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Viper owners stay hard longer. :usa: :nana:

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there are still guys who can't accept that the '06 Vette is rated 1, Viper 2, and they will come up with every excuse imaginable to justify why it's all baloney

The C6 Vette is a 400hp car that will be destroyed by a Mustang (The Shelby GT 500) that comes out next year. The Z06 is a limited production car that just beat the Viper SRT10. Car mags in previous years still picked the Vette as the "better" car for various reasons..ie: "More bang for the buck","more comfortable" or "roomier trunks". Who cares! GM has major financial problems and may file for Chapter 11.
Last VOI Dodge introduced the SRT Coupe. This VOI Dodge might introduce the Gen IV.

Stock for stock the GT500 will RUN w/ a base Vette and MAYBE edge it out in a straight line but it will not "destroy" it. That GT500 will also weigh 3800lbs+ compared to the Vettes 3200. Modified is a different story..

Even if the Stng wins it's still a Mustang, just like it's still a Vette that gets beat by a Viper, and it's still a only Viper that gets beats by a Ferrari/Lamborghini, still etc.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[GM has major financial problems and may file for Chapter 11.

GM maybe having problems and they may even file Chapter 11 to restructure but they aren't going to disappear. Remember Mopar in the early 80's same thing...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32