Intermittant headlights...what's going on?

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intermittant headlights...what\'s going on?

Driving back from out of town, all my lights would temporarily go out (headlights, running lights, fog lights). After about 1 minute, they would all come back on. This happened several times. I know because I was following a friend of mine who was watching, and I could also see the reflection of my lights in the back of his SUV. I don't know if my tail lights were doing the same thing. Luckily it was about 7:00 pm so it wasn't too dark. All my dash and gauge lights stayed on except for the little light on the fog light toggle switch (it would go on and off with the exterior lights). It did not seem to correspond to bumps in the road - this would happen on smooth patches of the highway. I was getting rained on, so I don't know if this had anything to do with it. I jiggled the pull knob for the headlights to see if that mattered, and it didn't seem to have any effect. I know for sure I was not bumping it with my knee during the trip. By the time I got home, the car was dry. I pulled the headlight switch and the lights all came on. I can't imagine this would be caused by a fuse, but I checked the headlight fuses anyway (fuses were okay). Anyone have any suggestions before I take it in to the dealership?

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Intermittant headlights...what\'s going on?

There is a self-resetting circuit breaker in the headlamp switch. It takes care of any shorts upstream of the fuses (otherwise you'd burn fusable links, or melt the switch). You should have heard it click when it tripped off, and yes it would take a minute or two to cool off and reset. My guess is the switch itself was somehow getting wet. Hope this helps...

Dave

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by dblankenbaker on June 03, 2001 at 23:13</font>

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you have aftermarket higher wattage bulbs, this could be triggering your circuit breaker, due to the excess current.

OP
OP
J

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where is the "headlight switch" that's got the circuit breaker? Is it part of the headlight cluster, or is it located somewhere else? I don't like driving in the rain, but if water is getting on it I want to replace it or do something to keep it dry. I'm running the stock headlight bulbs.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Very good point, Jerry.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Where is the "headlight switch" that's got the circuit breaker?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the push-pull switch you use to turn on your headlights.

Dave

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My car did this and it was the hood or the hinge assembly crimping the wire tot he headlamps. Mine did this almost from the day I bought it. The factory routing may be too close to the hinge or the latch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness