iPod kit install help.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone....I want to get my iPod kit installed in my GEN IV but need some help. For those that have done this where and how did you run the iPod cable and where and how did you install the adapter? Pics would be greatwitt I will take any help. I would like to get this done before VOI. It seems like a simple install but I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks for any help !!

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a Gen IV kit that worked right??

I think I figured out the secretmatter doing some research here on the boards. For those that have SIRIS with their GEN IV's you have to either leave the SIRIS disconnected or get another cable that doesn come with the kit to make it work correctly. I will leave the SIRIS disconnected as I have never used it and don't have a subscription with them.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My understanding was that no wired iPod kit worked on the Gen IV. Some people have had some success, but Dodge has stated that their kit is not compatible with Gen IV. The problems people have had include electrical system / dash going haywire. After doing a bunch of research myself, I came to the conclusion that the only safe solutions were FM-based iPod adapter, or just replace the whole system with a quality aftermarket stereo.

ref:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...ing-properly-lights-flickering?highlight=ipod
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/633431-i-pod-use?highlight=ipod

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Put me on the list of those who tried to install an Ipod adapter in a Gen IV. I tried and then had Chuck Tator try. All we got was to get the dashboard look like a Xmas tree....everything lit up and blinking. Scary as sh*t since you don't know if you just fried something. There have been some who have been successful but from what I can tell and doing research on it is that the successful installs are alot fewer than those that have failed.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put me on the list of those who tried to install an Ipod adapter in a Gen IV. I tried and then had Chuck Tator try. All we got was to get the dashboard look like a Xmas tree....everything lit up and blinking. Scary as sh*t since you don't know if you just fried something. There have been some who have been successful but from what I can tell and doing research on it is that the successful installs are alot fewer than those that have failed.

Question for you...do yOu have SIRIUS satalite radio in your GEN IV?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Wasn't there also some question about some of the cables missing a pin/wire as a possible reason that some were having success and others weren't?

Watching with interest as I also have a Gen 4 (with Sirus that I was going to dis-connect) that I really want to install this in.

Bob - have you already purchased the adapter and have you tried to get it working? It was a simple install in my Gen 3 and I found a small space in the passenger footwell to mount the adapter.

Last edited:
OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey rocket,

I already have the kit but have not installed yet. I'm Hopeing to do this sometime this week. Looks pretty straight forward. The instructions show another cable for Sattelite/UCONNECT and a couple features but it is sold seperately. My only concern one I get the dash opened up is if the Sattelite radio has its own cable separate from the AM/FM cable. I'm sure it does but just wondering. I plan to do a install writeup once all is done.

Also...where in the footwell did you Put the adapter? Pics?
Wasn't there also some question about some of the cables missing a pin/wire as a possible reason that some were having success and others weren't?

Watching with interest as I also have a Gen 4 (with Sirus that I was going to dis-connect) that I really want to install this in.

Bob - have you already purchased the adapter and have you tried to get it working? It was a simple install in my Gen 3 and I found a small space in the passenger footwell to mount the adapter.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE...

So I found a little time tonight to take the dash apart and test out the kit. This was just a quick test. I just jerry rigged the iPod kit to the radio and turned the key to the AUX position and....

DSCN0062.JPG

THE KIT WORKS!!!! Now...this was done without the car running. I turned the lights on just to see if there was any flickering as some have reported and no such problem. The real test will be with the car running I guess but again I was just testing to see if I had ANY kind of problem. One issue I have is that my iPod touch is too new and will not charge while hooked up however I can bypass this issue by using the AUX jack that came with the kit and then using a car charger that is compatible with my iPod as I plan to run the iPod cable to the compartment between the seats.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Can you control the ipod with the radio controls? An adapter will take care of the charge issue.

You can control the iPod from the radio. It's the only way you can control it. I just need to figure that part out but thats what the manual is for. :) What kind of adapter for the charging issue can I get?

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01sapphirebob - Can you let me know if your bezel sits flat on your RB1? I installed the RB1 last night, and I swear the bezel is not completely flat against the right side of the RB1. I can push down on it and it has some flex. No way to adjust it, that's just the way it seems to be. It is quite possible that it has always been that way for me on the stock RBQ radio, but I never scrutinized it that closely.

Glad to see you got the iPod kit working! Are you using an iPod Classic type? There is a PAC kit that allows you to control the iPod with both the radio and the clickwheel, plus it charges. But I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

Derek

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ohlarkid....sorry it took me a while to get back to you. My bezels sit flush against the right side of the RB1 however they stick out a little bit on the right side where the bezel meets the dash. Forgot to take a picture last night after I put the gauge bezel back on so I can't show you how it looks. If I get some time tonight i'll try to snap a picture for you.

01sapphirebob - Can you let me know if your bezel sits flat on your RB1? I installed the RB1 last night, and I swear the bezel is not completely flat against the right side of the RB1. I can push down on it and it has some flex. No way to adjust it, that's just the way it seems to be. It is quite possible that it has always been that way for me on the stock RBQ radio, but I never scrutinized it that closely.

Glad to see you got the iPod kit working! Are you using an iPod Classic type? There is a PAC kit that allows you to control the iPod with both the radio and the clickwheel, plus it charges. But I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

Derek

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ohlarkid....sorry it took me a while to get back to you. My bezels sit flush against the right side of the RB1 however they stick out a little bit on the right side where the bezel meets the dash. Forgot to take a picture last night after I put the gauge bezel back on so I can't show you how it looks. If I get some time tonight i'll try to snap a picture for you.

Thanks! Whenever you get a chance. My bezel also sticks out a little on the right side against the console - same place that it is sticking out a little bit against the RB1. I took it apart again and inspected it, and determined that is just the way it is. Nothing behind it forcing it out or anything. I even removed the HVAC controls so I could feel inside when the bezel was attached - nothing. We'll chalk that up to the usual 'hand made car' production variances.

If this is my biggest problem with the car, I guess that is ok.... It could have used a few more screws or some clips, but oh well. I put a washer under the bottom corner of the RB1 to make it a little more flush with the bezel, so it is not noticeable any more unless you are a perfectionist nutcase like myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang