iPod with oem stereo

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a way to hardwire an iPod into the oem stereo?

I don't want to upgrade the head unit and hate the FM transmitters.

Thanks,
Nick

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard of there being ways. I know I found a module for about $100-130 that I could plug into the back of my OEM head unit in my 2005 Ram. You can't control the iPod through the head unit but you can play music through the speakers.

Scottiedog » Dodge Ram 1500 iPod Installation

Looks like it installs through using the CD changer interface.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a wireless transmitter that i bought from apple made by monster cable that works good

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 2004 convertible with a stock head unit an purchased a kit from viper specilties performance and it works great .pm me if u need more info

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey white out,

I've been looking into this same question recently for my 01 and it seems that the only steps up from an FM transmitter are an FM modulator or new head unit. I've heard bad things about the FM modulators as they seem to pick up interference from the engine through the rev range. I've resigned to getting a new head unit. With head units as cheap as they are right now, its probably more cost efficient to go this route than to try to finagle with the stock unit. A decent head unit with a front AUX input will only set you back $70-80 these days.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01 and have researched the CRAP out of this.....you are correct on the 3 answers. The best of 3 for money/time is the new head unit. You can add, bluetooth, ipod inegration, and even better qualit sound over the other 2 options. I have an 01 and that is the decision i made after spending LOTS of time on this

hey white out,

I've been looking into this same question recently for my 01 and it seems that the only steps up from an FM transmitter are an FM modulator or new head unit. I've heard bad things about the FM modulators as they seem to pick up interference from the engine through the rev range. I've resigned to getting a new head unit. With head units as cheap as they are right now, its probably more cost efficient to go this route than to try to finagle with the stock unit. A decent head unit with a front AUX input will only set you back $70-80 these days.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01 and have researched the CRAP out of this.....
I have an 01 and that is the decision i made after spending LOTS of time on this

I haven't researched it or what is compatible with the factory harness. Are there replacements that are drop-in compatible, or do you need adapters, or whatever.

I don't listen to my radio that often; but, I make some long trips to CA or NV where I have to use an FM transmitter and non-iPod in order to keep myself entertained. Not a problem; but, a minor annoyance that I could do without.

Any suggested somewhat inexpensive drop-in replacements?

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did u guys call viper specilty performance he sold me a modular that hooket into the back of my stock unit it works perfect call him Dan @ 716 912 5336

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use a Griffin 9501-CBL iTrip FM Transmitter. The nice thing about this unit is you can set it to international Mode which allow you to set it to stations below 88.1, which are not supose to be used. You can also set the unit to mono for a stronger signal so you get very little interuptions or noise and 95% of the time you don't notice the absent of sterio sound.

I've been pleased with it and found it pretty cheap on eBay. Only 2 complaints, for some reason mine no longer remembers the station it was on when it looses power. Not a big deal, is has 4 presets you can set so you just have to hit the button when you turn it back on. The other thing it was not designed for a gen 4 iPod Nano and it does not charge the iPod.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the "CHY" Grom unit on both my RB1 and RB4.
Nothing worked.
As in....no power, no controls, no sound.
Paperweight.

What radio was in the Gen. 2 cars?
RBQ? RBK?

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, if the headunit is updated to a newer Alpine model. Is there a special wiring adapter needed, or is it just plug and play?

Nick

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what I have heard the OEM harness does not fit into any other head units, alpine included, nor is there an adapter for the harness. Apparently the new head unit will have to be spliced/hard wired into the OEM harness. If this is not correct please chime in guys.

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what I have heard the OEM harness does not fit into any other head units, alpine included, nor is there an adapter for the harness. Apparently the new head unit will have to be spliced/hard wired into the OEM harness. If this is not correct please chime in guys.

That's correct! Must be mostly hardwired, or just replace everything like me.:smirk: I really only had to tap into two or three wires!:D

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can have a stereo installer hardwire a fm modulator right into the antanae lead that will work a lot better than the lighter plug units, i was told that you can also have a power/charger cord wired(hardwire) in at the same time

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are lots of different way as mentioned here within. Replacing the head unit is the best resolve. Hardwiring in the fm modulator will get the job done, but it's going to cost almost the same as a new head unit which will have blue tooth, and lots of other great options. Unless you are going for the BONE stock look, then the head unit is the way to go especially on a GEN1/2

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an Alpine and it was a direct fit no cutting of any wires at all.....
Just had to make up a phono to din lead for the amp fead... OH and diss the speedo wire..

Baz

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So just looked at the new Alpine headunit line up. That blue will look like **** in our cars. I wonder if there's a way to crack open the oem headunit and tap it for iPod use.

Nick

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a 1 DIN Kenwood head unit in my 06 with a pop out touch screen. I can now play DVDs, MP3s from USB drives, and of course my IPOD. The unit has about the most intuitive touch controls for the IPOD you can get, even better than what you get on the IPOD Touch. It came with a harness that plugged right into the radio, no splicing. I also added a sub and additional amp, this did require running some additional wires but I still didn't have to splice into factory harness. Sounds awesome and gives me a place to watch videos of the track I'm at.

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pic of back of OEM cd player FYI...

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Only way to really "tap into" it is using an fm mod.:crazy2: I am going to look into making a Plug & Play harness for the Gen I & II when I get some time.:)

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A plug and play harness for what?

Has anyone attempted to hook up a cd changer to the oem headunit?

Nick

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So just looked at the new Alpine headunit line up. That blue will look like **** in our cars. I wonder if there's a way to crack open the oem headunit and tap it for iPod use.

Nick

Or, you could go overboard and change your dash lights to red LEDs and get a headunit with red illumination...

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more of an oem look person. Hence the reason that I am looking to go through this hell to get an iPod to work with the oem unit vs. aftermarket.

Nick

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang