Is my engine running too hot?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup. Did a search and learned alot, but I just wanted to clarify (since the only numbers on my '97 GTS are 100, 190 & 250).

I just burped my car, but I'm going to redo it again just in case....my observations are:

Car runs great. Starts up, and runs like a champ. When cruising on the freeway (Los Angeles) it usualy strays between 190 to the next dash (I'm guessing 200? or is it 195?). Anyways, when I hit L.A. traffic with 85-95 degree weather (lots of stop and go driving), the needle hits the dash mark between the 190 right-dash and the red 250 dash.....What is this temperature supposed to be? 225? 200?

Is this problematic? Its never passed it (well, maybe a very, very slight smidge) and as the traffic clears up and I'm cruising around 70-80 MPH, the temp drops back down to 190 and 190+.

Is this anything to be worried about? Thanks! :confused:

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's how mine runs too. I only saw it go a little over that when I had the famous timing chain cover gasket failure. When I run it in parades on the 4th it goes near the middle mark location you mention.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saint
I'm right there also. Even in the dead of winter, with 25 degree temps out my needle is slightly past the 190 mark. In the summer, I am always over to the right hash mark or slightly more in stop and go. Full cruise maybe drops down sligtly right of 190. Everyone says it's normal, that the gauge is inaccurate anyway and it's okay to run hot as long as your not pushing the red. I've never overheated so I guess it's nothing to worry about. I have asked Chuck T about it many times, he says "normal".

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of running a 172 degree thermostat in the summer or even year around. I added a bottle of Redline's Water Wetter to my system but haven't noticed a difference.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What years had the yellow mark just before the red mark? Mine has this but I never see it mentioned. Is the start of yellow mark the 225 ticker? I sometimes go into the yellow.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER registry says they removed the yellow band in '94 as a running change. My car has the yellow band as well.

http://ivr.viperclub.org/features.php

If you are worried about temperature like I was, just replace the stock radiator with a nice aluminum one. I got mine from Alan's Performance and its a real nice 3-pass/2-core setup. I have zero heat issues now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant