Isle of Man trip

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
181.jpg

182.jpg

Arrived back this morning at 3am, after a very frantic long weekend. It all started off wrong with phone call from one of the team at 8pm Thursday saying he had lost power steering, (not been mechanical, i'll just say some part had failed) and we were leaving at 6.30am the following morning. After a bit of phoning around, it seemed his viper would have to be swapped for his Sebring for the trip. But at the meeting point the following morning, he had some how managed a repair, a gleaming silver snake was sitting awaiting to rumble up to Liverpool for the Seacat (fast ferry)

184.jpg

185.jpg

over to Douglas quite a rough ride that was quite entertaining for the non-sick people.

Very fast road racing commenced that afternoon, as we found our way around the island... No speed limits, out of the towns or any speed camera's !! so hitting the higher end of the speedo was fairly frequent and constant in Nadine's viper

Sat morning we were all at the drag strip for the first day of racing a relaxed affair, a decent piece of tarmac on a private airfield, all the runs you wanted to do. Which saw *** making non-sc runs of around 12.4 which made her the fastest rear wheel drive car, and 4th overall. Behind a couple of 11 second Skylines and a highly modded Scooby. Joel was pressing his sorted celica pretty hard to, the return road of the drag strip was a circuit which seemed a lot more fun, and at one point saw the celica facing the wrong way... :D
There was some decent cars, the usual array of *** stuff, 550 modena, a new 911, and 1998 Indy Pace Car Corvette to name a few.

Some very high speed mountain climb racing around the TT course and the rest of the island then commenced quite scary stuff espicially at the start you see a sign 118 fatalities in 3 years, rocks on one side, 300 ft drops the other. You've got to respect them bike riders when they do 37 miles in 17 minutes averaging 130mph. Some of the TT roads were very narrow (even for us !) houses and concrete all around across some very bumpy surfaces.

186.jpg

187.jpg

We got some decent pics and on-board 'wingcam' and 'roofcam' vid footage (to follow) took in the pits, sampled the coastal roads and quaffed a few beers

the things people will go to, to try and beat a viper
189.jpg

we did win the prize for the best sandcastle
You must be registered for see images

Off to the Goodwood Festival of Speed tomorrow :cool:

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love watching the Isle of Man superbike racing on Speed TV. It is one of the most insane displays of speed I have ever seen. Hard to believe such an event exists.

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
188.jpg

start/finish line,

TT race weekend is pretty insane, 3 racers died during the race and 11 bikers who ran the course :crazy: a couple of weeks ago

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditch the Viper, take the mighty R1 for a couple of laps around the island ! Yeah baby

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DV Quality has disappeared, but you'll get the idea, will try again when I have more time, speeds were high, 3 and 4th gears occasionally getting into 5th, although the camera doesn't really show it that well

**** Vid

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D@mn that looks like fun. I caught the bikes there on Speed TV also last week. Those guys have some real cajones!
Have fun at the Goodwood Festival... Would love to make it there for that some day.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good pics Neil,Conrats on best sand castle....
See ya soon at Goodwood with a few new additions to the viper......

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, that's scary driving on the wrong side of the road for that long!! It's a good thing the opposing drivers cooperated and got over for you as you came through . . . :eek:

Seriously, great shots -- looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. :2tu:

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
although it looks like *** is over the wrong side to long, the camera shortens the view and it was really safe to overtake, I think :D
you could see around the bends a fair distance looking over the walls and hedges, if you get what I mean

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Neil, see you at Goodwood! Isle Of Man was great...I WANT to live there...mountain roads, 7 miles long up and down the mountain...with NO speed limits, 130 mph +, I was in heaven, got through 4 tanks of gas, did well over 300 miles on the Island over 3 days, fast, fast, fast driving, and no worries about the cops! The camera footage doesn't do it justice! I could think of no better car to do it in, Beloved Viper performed perfectly, I pushed him hard and he delivered, and took it so well! But, some roads were bumpy; did get big air-time at 80 mph over a ****-back bridge (never driven / I didn't know the road)...frame rails, front and rear, took a bashing, OUCH! So did Neils (my co-pilot) head on Vipers roof! Now home, got him on the ramps, checking him out. Thankfully all returned in one piece, even though getting on / off the Seacat wasn't easy!

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
isle of man and goodwood! damn!! wish i was you!!!

gets a better for a few to, Hokenhiem in a couple of weeks meeting up with the other euro viper clubs. A few big tracks days coming up shortly, one makes onto TV.

I'll take plenty of pics at Goodwood espicially for you USA
miss-er-outers :2tu:

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Marshalled a TT Race in 1990. The Isle of Man is one cool place. In the towns they have speed limits, once you get between towns there are no speed limits.:) When you get up on the mountain it's really cool also, you can either go fast and have fun or go slow and enjoy the scenery.

I met this hot little chick from Belfast while I was there.......well that's another story! :)

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gotta get across the pond in the near future....my wife keeps asking me because she's from Yorkshire.
Great pics,thanks.
Since Viper is so rare in England,you must get bombarded with questions all the time!

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome pictures...

And the longer the video took, the bigger my smile got. :)
Awesome... If Nadine says the video doesn't do it justice, I'd give my left ******** for a ride... ;)

Awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc