Issues help when buying from individual?

3520henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you know if the person selling you a Viper or car in general, if the car doesnt have any liens on it or the person selling the car really is the owner and it is not stolen? Can you run the vin # or license plate somehow? Also, when buying the vehilce out of state, and are having the car shipped, do you pay for the vehicle when you fly out there and get the title at the same time or what? Thanks

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just because a Viper does not have a lein does should not put up any red flags. When purchasing a vehicle from out of state most cases the owner will request the funds before the vehicle is shipped or title is placed in your name.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the main reason I bought a car from this website and a VCA member ;)

You can ask other members of the VCA who live in the local area to Check out the car for you and meet the Owner, if everything turns out OK you're good to go :2tu:

You can also get an inspection done on the car by a qualified mechanic and also get a Carfax check as an additional aid ;)

Love my car to bits and am still in contact with the previous owner, and the Original owner who first purchased the car.

I don't think there are many car clubs out there where that can happen ;)

Mark
:uk:

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got a FE GTS from out of state.I flew out there and had cashier's check in hand.Make sure that the seller's bank has the title ready or if owner has title in hand.I gave them the cashier's check and they hand over the title.I then took my car to my transport company.I look for a transport company that has a location where i could drop it off.This way i don't have to worry about the car or if the seller has a hard time meeting with the transport company.Good luck!

kenmo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd ask for a scanned copy of the title along with pictures of the car VIN#. Talk to the owner often and use common sense. Ask the owner to take it to get inspected....if he refuses things like this, then likely there's something fishy going on. Get a carfax and make sure it's inline with the vehicle (mileage reports, location, etc).

A purchase like this, I would definitely go check out the car prior to buying it. I was open to buying my Viper anywhere in the US....however, I was very lucky to find my local. The suggestion above is great....exchange title and car for your check and YOU take the car to get it shipped. Of course, get your paperwork inline as well to CYA.

If you are financing I'm sure your bank will have some good suggestions & requirements for you to go through with the purchase.

Good luck!!

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and follow your gut feeling. If you end up talkig to the owner over the phone and he sounds like an ass, chances are you will end up with an ass of a car, regardless of how good the car looks or how good of a deal you think you are getting.

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just sold my '97 GTS to someone out of state. The car still had an existing loan note on it, so the buyer sent the funds via wire transfer, I paid off the note with those funds, dropped the car off with a Viper tech at a Dodge dealer to have some recall work done, the new owner picked it up there and I am mailing him the title when it is released from my credit union. In either case, the existing loan showed up on both CarFax and AutoCheck reports. It helps in the "trust department" that he found my car on the VCA classifieds and is a VCA member....i.e. not just anyone off of craigslist or Ebay. It was a perfect transaction though, so a sincere thanks goes out to my Viper's new owner for making the sale so easy!

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased my first Viper out of state, and have purchased four other vehicles via E-bay in the last four year. All but one were purchased sight unseen. As others have said, CarFax or AutoCheck, plus a good inspection and just some good communication between the seller and buyer can generally make it work out without a hitch. I haven't been disappointed yet. It certainly helps buying from forum members, as they generally seem more knowledgable and honest about their rides. Just do your homework, and be prepared to walk away if something doesn't seem right. There is always another vehicle out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi