It was 96 last week. Time to fix this A/C!!! Need some advise

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason I have been putting this off all year. I can handle the heat but I'm taking my girlfriend to her first viper meet this next weekend in GA so the A/C has to be fixed! :D

At the end of last year I was driving my car with the A/C on and smoke/steam started to come out of the vents. I quickly turned it off and made sure there was not a fire! Ha There was not a fire but it smelled sweet. There were also a few oil like drips on the pass. side floor where your feet would be. The blower is working but it is not cold.

What should I check first? Anyone have this problem? Kept putting it off thinking it was to much work but I just got done rebuilding my engine so fixing this A/C should not be a problem. :headbang:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just an amateur in regards to auto AC ( I have fixed 2 of my car's issues though); so, I'll hold off giving advice unless you don't get someone who is trained to chime in. However, I wouldn't describe refrigerant + oil as smelling sweet. Antifreeze is usually described that way. Your post, though, sounds like you probably would know what hot antifreeze coolant smells like? Just asking that you are sure that your steam + smell symptom wasn't a heater leak and maybe you also have an AC problem that is unrelated ?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heating core could be a problem if you are seeing fluid on the passenger inside and a sweet smell (anti freeze), its possible your ac may not be broken and the smoke you saw is coolant steam from your heating core, the fan that pushes the ac air could have also been pulling in steam from a leaking heating core

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In certain situations (high humidity, etc.), the Gen2's are known for 'steaming' out the vents. Do a search, you'll see it is very normal. The 'sweetness' smell is something different altogether. Heater core or thermostat housing.

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get the same thing (****** looking air) Hi humidity does it and some times it has a odor
but I've also seen other cars do it too so its probably normal. I live in Southern OH with
temps lately 95-100 and humidity you could take a bath in.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heater core. I haven't replaced on in a Viper but have opted to go "heatless" in some older cars when it went out.....they were hard to get to. Hopefully its not a PITA in the Viper.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A/C systems that make clouds... are slightly low on charge but still make cold air. If you leave it on while it does that the coil will freeze and the compressor will eventually start cycling on/off... I doubt it will hurt anything but it does mean you need an A/C checkout.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I only had time to take the blower off last night. I can see the back side of the heater core. It does not look rusty and looks new. Will work on it more tonight. What's the best way to relieve the pressure that's in the a/c lines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187