It's official: 2003 Viper Competition Coupe!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It\'s official: 2003 Viper Competition Coupe!

Monterey, CA: Dodge introduced the 2003 Competition Coupe to a stunned media today. The 520 + hp monster features a four piece carbon fibre body, full racing equipment (including an integrated roll cage), and a target price of below 100K. Already approved for the American Lemans Series GT Class, Speed Vision World Challenge, Grand American Cup (Grand Am), and the Viper Days wheel-to-wheel series, these cars are sure to burn up the track. For complete details, go to the doge Web site at: http://www.4adodge.com and Full Story and the: Racing Press Release

So, to answer the question last from last week: Yes, there will be a 2003 Viper Coupe!

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: It\'s official: 2003 Viper Competition Coupe!

Where do we place our orders? - Dodge Dealers? Factory?

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Outstanding! Way to go Dodge!

Unofficial, off the record buzz from a component supplier. Only 5 coupe hardtops were produced and shipped. One hopes that was only the initial order. They included mountings for antennas.

Reaction score

Incredible car, and gorgeous, too! And congrats to Skip Thomas and Viper Days for being mentioned on the Dodge website!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Fischer:

Unofficial, off the record buzz from a component supplier. Only 5 coupe hardtops were produced and shipped. One hopes that was only the initial order. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Note that the press release stated that they hoped to build a TOTAL of 25 in the first year. Those five you heard about would account for 1/5 of the entire production run for 2003. Better get in line quick, assuming the window hasn't already closed...

Chris

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's great, and I certainly don't want to rain on this parade, but there are two things that are to bad...

1. The Dodge Viper Competition Coupe cannot be titled for highway use.

2. The Viper Competition Coupe's sleek concept car shape retains the 2003 RT-10 Convertible's windshield, and as a result, affords the driver two inches of additional headroom as compared to the GTS/R concept car. That means it won't be as low and mean looking.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will be interesting to see what is going to be the REAL price of it.

Dodge can only suggest a MSRP and cannot force their dealers to sell it at this price.
My guess is that an extra 25k to 50k is going to be added to it as EDP (Extra Dealer Profit).

Also by stating that only 25 will be built the 1st year, it almost insure that most of them are going to find their way in the hands of collectors/speculators instead of where they were designed for: THE TRACK

I hope that I am wrong and that greed is not going to be the main reason to buy/sell this great looking car.

Luc.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chad,

You mis-understood what I was saying.
I never said that it was Dodge intent.
Just that I hoped that it was not going to be the end result as it did happen, in 95 if I am correct with the Special"race Mustang" that Ford sold ONLY to people with a valid, professional racing license.

Well, those Mustangs where/are a pretty rare sight at a track and most of them were/are in the hands of the collectors/speculators.

Luc.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember another non-titleable car. For a while the prototype Vector ran a plate titled to a Muria owned by the same guy that designed the prototype, I think the plate actually was "VECTOR".
I remember the Lambo sitting in the corner of the shop plateless while the Vector was out seeing the sights. Now I know none of us would ever swap plates but I wouldn't be surprised if by Monday evening there were license plate requests on file for "GTS CC" in states from coast to coast...

I am really impressed with Dodge for producing this car. It speaks volumes about the communication between the new management and the team members still there that made the Viper what it is. It steals the thunder from GM for their Vette kit track cars that have been so impressive. Add to that it is a complete factory built racer and the indicated pricing makes it a bargain compared to the Vettes, 360's or anything else.

Do we dare hope for items such as a complete carbon fiber body kit and digital dash display in the Mopar catalog anytime soon?

OP
OP
J

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We owe Steve Ferguson and Rich Hamielec who put together a formal presentation made to Viper Engineering several years ago combined with continuing calls from the Viper community at large (Thanks Frank) a round of applause. This high interest level, combined with the large number of GTS Coupes being disemboweled and turned into race cars, supported the case made in the presentation...... and here is the result!:

2003VCC1.JPG
2003VCC6.JPG

Thanks SVE and Team Viper!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Sweet! Can we get some larger pics?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cool.gif
I think there has been some big time input from the VCA President and other Ariz racers like Frank Parise to see this actually come to reality! Keeping the Viper race tradition! THANKS
BURNOUT.gif
cool.gif
BURNOUT.gif

You must be registered for see images

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 08-20-2001 at 08:46 PM</font>

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is so beautiful, what a hot looking car!!!!
bounce.gif
Absolutely gorgeous, WOW!!!...I think I am in LOVE!!!
Thank you Dodge.
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay, I am sure that Steve also appreciates the mention you made earlier. Both of us just returned from Viper-Ferrari War 6 in South Haven, MI which took place this past weekend. We appreciate the photo's that have been posted as I know both of would have wanted to be at the press release but this important local club event took presidence as we both started Viper Club Racing in Illinois oh so many years ago. It is great to see that this project has finally moved forward. The responce of the attendees this weekend to news of the announcement had the attending dealer very busy answering questions. I spoke to him at length this morning and he said he had 13 inquiries about placing an order. Believe me when I say that this one will be a winner. I know that 12 of the inquiries were by VCA club members who plan on using them in the manner that they were intended. Collectors are welcome but let's make sure that the first ones go to the racers. Ultimately it will improve the breed.

For those who hope for a street version you will have to wait for a few more years but fear not as a GTS version looks like a shoe in. The person who posted the switching of the plates from one car to another brought up the very reason why this project has taken so long to get the go-ahead. Let's hope that someone who doesn't understand what this car is being built for doesn't do something s=.,/'d and ruins it for the rest of the Viper racing community. This is not and was never intended to be put on the street, PERIOD.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i'm in....i am already lining up sponsors for Grand AM. What exactly do i have to do to purchase one of these.????

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Along with Tony E, Steve F, Rich H, and all our Viper Days participants, Let's not forget to give a HUGE THANK YOU to John Fernandez...and of course, Mr Jim Julow!!!!

Their energy has kept this concept as top priority!

Yee Hahhhhh!! Let's go racing!!!!

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank I can't comment on how you go about ordering one yet because there are no details as of yet. You should talk to John Gastman at Roanoke Motors or Bob Woodhouse since they are your higher volume Viper dealers. Both of them also participate in VCA Club racing and Viper Days. I am sure they will compile a list of prospective clients and then those who are the powers at be, will make the final decision on production and distribution.

I am very excited to see the positive reception so far. Keep it coming!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it's not streetable, then why bother. While I'm not a daily driver, I'm not a racer either. I'll wait for the street version. The 96 GTS first emerged as a race car so I think it'll happen in 2004-6 probably.

-Avi

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am glad to see that people realize that this is a RACE CAR, and not a street car. This announcement is really intended for the people that want to race a Viper, but not use their street car.

If out want a Street GTS, then the only thing you will get out of this is that at least there is something out there doing a lot of the R&D that it is going to take to get one built!

So I guess this is a win win for everyone!!!

The Viper world is a better place today because of this announcement.
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score

With this new comp coupe coming out what are the current racers going to do with their race Vipers? Might be some good buys coming...........

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a great announcement - thanks to Dodge and the VCA'ers who made it happen!

It looks like this is a worthy precursor to a Gen3 GTS announcement, no? Come on Dodge, lay another bombshell on us
smile.gif

The ONLY problem I see is that they are only making 25 of them... how many GTS/R's did they make? I REALLY REALLY HOPE that we will see all 25 of these puppies out on the track where they were meant to be.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From what I understand Mike, they're going to make 25 for 2003, then ramp-up production afterwards if there's enough demand for them.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow! Joe where did you get all the details from? Is this from a press kit? More stuff than I would have suspected for the price quoted.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

THANKS to the many VCA members who have been "negotiating" and cajoling w/ Team Viper, then SVE {now even THAT name is gone) to get a race-car or a kit car built that will make privateers and amateurs have a GTS-R that is truly world class and yet affordable. Even those of your who participated in VOI 4,5, surveys helped this project a bit!

Saying "Yes, there IS a GTS Coupe in 2003" is somewhat disingenuous...this a pure, race-built Viper. Hardly a replacement for the 5000+ GTS coupes on the road.

Notice that the YEAR of the car is missing from press releases. The 25 year-1 cars is clear...but WHEN is year one?

You CAN order the 6-pt harness system TODAY: Team Tech !

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1 thing im a little confused about is this....it says its able 2 run in ALMS GT class thats a step down from what the old GTS-R/T ran in(GTS) if it wants to be put up against the big boys from Chevy it needs to be im GTS ot am i missing something?? or will there b another car built in the future for the big name private teams(or we can only hope Oreca) that will run in the GTS class at Lemans etc..??? id appreciate any help on clearing this up thanx....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIPERnXr4ti:
1 thing im a little confused about is this....it says its able 2 run in ALMS GT class thats a step down from what the old GTS-R/T ran in(GTS) if it wants to be put up against the big boys from Chevy it needs to be im GTS ot am i missing something?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What it is missing is the CDI 700HP GTS-R motor.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes you are correct. This car is aimed to compete against the GT cars like the GT-3, BMW, and Callaway Corvette that is produced today for the ALMS and the FIA. What it will actually race against is dependant on what the other manufacturers produce. The GTS class will be left for others to compete in. I am sure that Chevrolet is not getting the same benefit as Dodge did when it raced, because there really isn't an identifiable competitor. Remember that Dodge Vipers were beating Chevy's Corvettes. That made news. Corvettes beating Saleens (sometimes) isn't the same thing. No matter how they spin it. We are going after the P cars again.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Joe:

Thanks for the spec's on the Competition Coupe. One question that I have that is puzzling me; what happened to the rumor that the new V-10 was going to be an even firing engine? A 90 degree V-10 is not even firing. Is the new powerplant just a bored and stroked version of what is in the Gen 2 Vipers? I hoped that Dodge would have done a complete redesign of the engine for the new car... (wishful thinking, I guess).

Thanks for your attention and feedback.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So who has more pictures of this thing? I'd love to see some larger shots, especially from the front.

It was mentioned that an aftermarket supplier shipped 5 hardtops, however, from the one large picture posted it appears that the Competition Coupe is a completely different car from the 2003 RT-10. Though it was also mentioned it DID share the 2003's windshield. Could an aftermarket tuner reproduce a similar car using a 2003 convertable or is it a completely different car, based more on a coupe structure/frame?

Matt