It's official: 2003 Viper Competition Coupe!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: It\'s official: 2003 Viper Competition Coupe!

There's LOTS of carbon fiber on the race car, but the essential style, as many have said on this board, is the same.

I'm sure there will be more than one supplier offering hardtops for the convertible in the same style as the competition coupe...and as for the other ground effects... I would believe there would be similar retrofits as well (although that front facia would probably scrape the bubble gum off the average Jersey road!)

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Here's the official specs:

DODGE VIPER COMPETITION COUPE
VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS

GENERAL INFORMATION

Body Style Single-seat Grand Touring competition coupe (not street legal)
Assembly Plant DaimlerChrysler Conner Avenue Assembly Plant (CAAP), Detroit

ENGINE: 8.3-LITER, OHV 20-VALVE SMPI V-10

Type and Description 10-cylinder 90-degree V-type, liquid-cooled
Displacement 505 cubic inches
Construction 356-T6 aluminum alloy block with cast-iron liners, aluminum alloy cylinder heads
Bore x Stroke 4.03 inches x 3.96 inches
Valve System Two pushrod-actuated overhead valves per cylinder with roller-type hydraulic lifters
Fuel Injection Sequential, multi-port electronic with individual runners
Compression Ratio 9.6
Power (SAE net) 520 horsepower (est.) @ 5600 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 540 lb.-ft. (est.) @ 4600 rpm
Max Engine Speed 6100 rpm
Fuel Requirement Premium (93 octane)
Oil Capacity 10 quarts, Mobil 1 10W50 Synthetic
Exhaust System Stainless steel tubular headers, GTS-R-style low-restriction racing mufflers, side exit

Emission Controls N/A

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Alternator 125-Ampere high-speed
Battery Leak-resistant maintenance-free 650 CCA

FUEL SYSTEM

Type Racing fuel cell
Capacity 26.4 gallons (100 liters)

TRANSMISSION: MANUAL, SIX-SPEED OVERDRIVE

Type Tremec T-56 synchronized 6-speed manual
Gear Ratios
1st 2.66
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.30
4th 1.00
5th 0.74
6th 0.50
Effective Final Drive 3.07
Overall Top Gear 1.54

FINAL DRIVE

Description Frame-mounted hypoid bevel gear with speed-sensing limited-slip differential

DIMENSIONS/CAPACITIES

Wheelbase 98.8 inches
Track, Front 61.6 inches
Track, Rear 64.6 inches
Overall Length 184.1 inches
Overall Width 77.2 inches (body), 79.1 inches (mirrors)
Overall Height 46.7 inches
Ground Clearance 3.0 inches
Curb Weight 3,200 lbs.
Weight Distribution, F/R 50/50
Frontal Area 21.5 ft
Drag Coefficient .40

ACCOMMODATIONS

Seating Capacity 1
Type Recaro Pro Racer competition seat
Instrumentation Motec race dash and data acquisition system with ECU interface, carbon fiber dash panels
Cockpit features CNC-machined front anti-roll bar adjuster, fire suppression activation switch, electrical system cut-off

SAFETY

Features Driver-activated fire suppression system, custom-fitted side-window netting, Team Tech six-point driver restraint system

BODY/CHASSIS

Layout Longitudinal front engine, rear-wheel drive
Chassis Construction Backbone tubular steel space frame with separate cowl structure and FIA-legal safety cage incorporating engine bracing
Body Construction Composite body panels, Lexan rear window
Aerodynamics Wind-tunnel tuned rear wing, front splitter and rear diffuser, partial undertray

SUSPENSION

Front Cast-aluminum unequal-length upper and lower "A" arms with spherical bearing frame attachments, 2.25" race springs, Dynamic Suspensions monotube coil-over, compression and rebound-adjustable dampers, driver-adjustable blade-type anti-roll bar, six-lug production hubs

Rear Cast aluminum unequal-length upper and lower "A" arms with spherical bearing frame attachments, Dynamic Suspensions monotube coil-over, compression and rebound-adjustable dampers, high rate anti-roll bar, six-lug production hubs

STEERING

Type Power-assisted rack and pinion, solid mounted with travel restrictors
Overall Ratio 16.7
Turning Diameter 61.2 feet
Steering Turns 1.60
Column Production Viper with tilt
Wheel GTS-R type race wheel

TIRES

Type Michelin Pilot racing slicks
Size, Front P305/35ZR18
Size, Rear P345/30ZR19

WHEELS

Type and Material Three piece BBS, forged aluminum centers
Size, Front 18x11
Size, Rear 19x14

BRAKES

Type Four-wheel vented cast-iron disc, Brembo four-piston/two-pad with advanced ABS. Electronically adjustable front-rear bias, carbon fiber front cooling ducts

DODGE VIPER COMPETITION COUPE PERFORMANCE ESTIMATES

0-60 mph Acceleration: 3.8 sec.
0-100 mph Acceleration: 9.2 sec.
0-1/4-mile Acceleration: 11.8 sec. @ 123 mph
Top Speed: 192 mph
60-0 Braking: 90 ft.
100-0 Braking: 260 ft.
Lateral Acceleration: 1.25g

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

VIPERnXr4ti:

Definitely NOT a "step down"... unless you consider ORECA's effort a "step down" from the LMP class. Each subdivision is a "separate race" within "the big race". The Competition Coupe was designed to allow a race team with a "modest" budget to purchase a turnkey machine and hopefully embarrass ALL the competition... including some of the "faster" classes!

Wouldn't that be sooo cooooool!!! Watching a Comp Coupe outrace those yellow bowties in GTS class!!!

LETS DO IT!!!

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i understand the class thing in ALMS and all but all i was getting at is y go 2 a "slower" class and race the 911 GT3's and Callaways when with more power(say oh around 700 where the current GTS-R/T is) and run circles around the vettes and saleens?? or hell y not put some real $$ into it and make it a GTP car...ok maybe thats not a reasonable goal...im under the impression Oreca still produces the GTS-R/T's for DC am i correct? and i would imagine teams that r currently running Vipers in the GTS class would want to start buying GTS-R/T's modeled after the next gen viper(i would think anyway) so is it possible Oreca and DC would be working on a hopped up Version of the Competition Coupe for GTS....or is the GT class all were gonna see out of the Next Gen Viper??

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually the GTS-R's that Oreca ran at LeMans, Daytona, ALMS and FIA races were built by Chrysler for Oreca here in North America. Oreca built GTS-R's for customers. The Competition Coupe looks much like the next GTS-R was suppose to look. I do not think there has been any commitment on DC's part(at this time) to continue with a next generation GTS-R program. I think they have their hands pretty full with the RT-10 and the just introduced Comp Coupe. Racing at the the world championship level is a very expensive proposition. I think that we were very fotunate to witness the the Vipers racing legacy as it was being written.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regarding the Chapter 3 engine I believe hearing that the basic "Architecture" is the same but the engine is somewhat differant.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Correct me if Im wrong but I think I read in Road & Track that the gen 3 engine is an All Aluminum engine unlike the gen 1 & 2.........I think they did that to save weight...So I dont think its the same engine bored out but it may be the same architecture.........

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SnakeBitten:
Correct me if Im wrong but I think I read in Road & Track that the gen 3 engine is an All Aluminum engine unlike the gen 1 & 2.........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Gen1 and Gen2 engines are both all aluminum (block and heads) with cast iron cylinder liners.

Matt

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was really hoping DC was getting back into GTS. I really enjoyed the rivalry and competition between the two makes.

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i just dont understad y they wouldnt want 2 build a car for the GTS class its where the Viper belongs, maybe it will take a team to hop up a competition coupe and enter it to get it started

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well it is out of my budget for this year, but next year if the car is definitely GT lemans class, Viper # 3 will be in the race trailer, making one street and 2 race Vipers...Wait till the wife hears this one....boy is that gonna cost me...LOL

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt:
The Gen1 and Gen2 engines are both all aluminum (block and heads) with cast iron cylinder liners.

Matt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**** do I feel like a fool....I thought that the gen 1 & 2's were made out of iron.......Ah well I stand corrected.....

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So has anyone been keeping a list of people interested in buying this car. I had heard that a few of the big Viper dealers had a list of people but do we have one off this site?

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How did this tread drop so far onto page 3. Has everyone gotten all the details they need to have about this fantastic car?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get rid of that "heart beat" saying, and move into the new Dodge saying: Grab life by the horns.

Hey you Texas tuners, you should send a set of Steer horns to Team Viper for promotional use!!!!!!!!!!

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve, you should ask Kim's mom as she probably wants to get rid of some stuff before it gets hung on the walls. Maybe real Ram horns from a western hunting expedition.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If nothing comes through I have a Jackalope (jack rabbit with antilope horns) I could forward (he he). Never could get clearance from the tower to hang it anywhere in the house.

SW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have my deposit with Woodhouse. If anyone could get one, I think he can.
smile.gif

SW

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Has anyone heard from Jim Benkovich in Minnesota recently? He was a big proponent of the club racecar idea and I have yet to see him make any posts on the subject. Jim where are you?

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe that PVO also knows that there are VCA Regions who hold their own driving events. Owners in those regions, who can show/prove intent to race the car, shall/should also be considered.

DCR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT COLOR="Red">MORE DETAILS SOON ...</FONT c>

... but for now, here are some unofficial thoughts:
cool.gif

** Several theorists were correct about Dodge's interest being in getting cars on the track. The purchase application will require a significant body of evidence to validate a prospective purchaser's racing intent. This will include but not be limited to current race licenses, a racing resume, and so on. Because demand is expected to exceed supply of cars, only prospective purchasers who meet all pre-requisites can be considered for selection to buy a car.

** The cars will begin being built about Q4 of next year, but obviously deposits will be taken sooner. As with the GTS-R, the turn-key full-race Viper Competition Coupe (VCC) will be built in limited numbers (+/- 25-ish). This is 60% all race car, but production parts shared with the 2003 VGX Viper RT-10 will be available at Dodge dealers stocking Viperware; Mopar Performance Parts used on the car can be obtained at or through any DCX-brand parts counter. The pure-race-spares program is still being defined.

** As with the GTS-R, the VCC will be sold directly from Dodge.

** Race series elgibility is said to be Speedvision World Challenge, Grand-Am GS Class and Viper Days. It is PVO's & Dodge's specific desire to earmark a TBD number of VCCs to applicants who intend to race in Skip Thomas's Viper Days Series. I have seen words to the effect that compliance with ALMS rules is not anticipated. But this means the car will stand for the Grand-Am Series' Rolex 24 at Daytona if a prospect purchaser is so inclined.

This is as much as is known so far, to satisfy the rampant curiousity. There is much yet to do! Coincidentally, people many of you know may be involved.

FYi & review.

best!

// DCR SENDS //

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by DCR on 09-10-2001 at 12:02 PM</font>

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan, I hope Mopar Performance News is going to cover the VCC? Or at least where and when it races?

Steve