I've contracted the disease. . . . Viperitis!!!

venmous

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I\'ve contracted the disease. . . . Viperitis!!!

Well, I am officially sick with the most wonderful disease a person could get. I contracted the virus on July 19th, 2002 (my birthday!) when my Black 95 RT10 rolled off the delivery truck with 4K miles on it. (bone stock). I've already upgraded filters and tubes and have exhaust in the UPS truck on its way to me right now.

I have been perusing the forums for awhile but have just obtained approval status and would like to say "hello" to everyone. I am genuinely impressed with the comraderie, helpfulness and fun that everyone seems to have, not to mention the occasional playful jab when necessary.

Rather than make several posts, I have a couple of questions right off the bat that I'm sure you all can help answer.

1. Brake Pads: - I need Kevlar or something that dusts much less than stock pads; I'm going crazy keeping the wheels clean, I can only imagine what the guys with '96 white/blue go through. HELP!

2. I'm getting ready to change the oil; I'm using Mobil1 15/50 and a K&N oil filter (any complaints?), However, I've heard/read everything from 8 quarts to 10.5 quarts and that the dipstick is unreliable? Is there any consensus on this?

3. I'm not going to make it VOI7 (planned too late) Is there a VOI every year? If so, I can't wait 'til next fall already.

There are more questions, but I'll get to them over time. Thanks for the input. By the way, I'm 26, live on the east side of Cleveland, OH and have VENMOUS tags; I plan on getting involved in events and VCA as often as possible. . . .I look forward to getting to know some of you.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'ve contracted the disease. . . . Viperitis!!!

Welcome Venmous,

1. EBC Greens are the pads you want. www.partsrack.com JonB is the man.

2.The dipstick is reliable, drain all the oil add 8 quarts check your level, then add qts til your stick reads full, providing you already soaked the filter with oil before installing it (of course you crank and re-check the level).

What was said about the dipstick was that at the low mark the engine is 2 qts low.
I wouldn't use 15w-50 (to thick IMHO), and I use Mobile 1 filters with Mobile 1 10w-30, but your choice of K&N is just as good I would think.
Cheers

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome and congrats

i too recommend the ebc greens for the brake pads
and i also use a mobil 1 oil filter and 10-30 mobil 1

also years matter.. my 2001 takes 10 quarts.

good luck
and let the mods begin!!
smile.gif

JIM

OP
OP
V

venmous

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks guys

I used my brain and did a forum search on the brake pads.
JonB will be getting some business soon. . .

Does anyone else have thoughts on the weight of engine oil?
Most of my driving is city (stop n go) with no track or drag
strip racing planned. Should I go lighter than the 15-50 ?
What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You mean us white/blue RT's with our stylin' BLACK wheels?
laugh.gif

MM

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have a swollen Viper?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
eek.gif

Seriously though have fun and dont get too carried away, you can spend more on mods than you did on the car.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome! The VOI's are held approximately every other year. I would also caution that they may not go on forever. The economy, the cost to Dodge, and the sheer number of Viper owners may change the way it is held, if it continues to be. Of course, that is my opinion. If it were me, I would contact Viper Headquarters at 800-998-1110 and see about getting in. It is THE greatest Viper event held and I strongly suspect that the rollout of the 2003 SRT/10 will make this the best one yet. Definitely worth the extra effort!

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness