Jack Stands

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All, new to the Viper Nation as I'm comming over from the Mopar muscle car scene. Want to put the Viper up on Jack Stands as I have decided to take the advice of some VCA members and send my rims out to CalChrome to get plated. Want to know where to put the stands as I don't want to damage anything and also looking for safety as I will detail part of it while it's up. Thanks in Advance !!!!!

Reaction score
It has a full frame so choose the outer most parts front and rear and it will be fine. You can do one side at a time lifting from the rear points.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd add a few pointers here.

A) Drive the car up on some plywood pads or some 2X lumber at all four tires. This will raise the car up some so you can actually get a jack under the car.

B) Jacking the car up side to side or end to end can be very dangerous when placing the car on four jack stands. The first two will go in fine, but as you lift the opposing side the vehicle can slide on the first pair of jack stands (this is especially true when jacking side to side).

C) The Vipers frame is very thin steel, unpadded stands will actually put divits into your frame.

D) Personally as obvious and stupid as this may sound, don't put jack stands on any frame member forward of the centerline of the front wheels (core support etc.). I actually believe a picture is worth a thousand words here. I have a Gen II, which is different than yours. If no one else posts a pic. I'll show you on mine.

E) This should be a no brainer, but I learned from a bad experience trying to help another VCA member. He did not set his parking brake, a really BAD idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Camfab,I can get my Jack under OK as I have a zero clearance Jack which sits only about 1" off the ground in it's lowered position. I have rubber covers on all the jack stand heads.Thanks for the writeup it's a great help.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will find the belly pan will be in the way from putting the jack stands on the frame in the back of the car.You can place it under the lower control arm mounting points if you dont want to remove the pan.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 4 jacking points on the car. Small V shaped wedges behind the front tires on the frame and in front of the rear on the frame. Is this what you were asking about as to where to put the stands? :dunno:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala