Jenny Craig can help the New Coupe

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope DC reads this. Like many of you I have been waiting for the new coupe to appear before I would join the Viper family. When I first decided that the Viper would be my first choice for an American built road racer I came to this site to get an education. First I would like to say that you have a great site for someone to get educated. I've enjoyed the spirted debates between the Gen.1, 2 & 3 guys. All Vipers are great so let's get over that.. The Viper has still remained as my first choice because of the visual appeal and performance numbers. I was turned off by the early problems of heat issues,head light flickers, power steering pump failures and cam bolt issues etc.. but knowing that this is a low production vehicle that these things would be worked out and things would be better by the time the coupe debuted. I can live with the looks of the coupe. From the looks of what we've seen from the LA show press info this is what we're going to get so I guess we can quit crying about that. But there is still some hope for the Viper coupe to hold a peformace edge or hang with the new C6 Z06 if it could lose some weigth before actual production.
How can the new coupe be heavier than the convertable? As we know most car companies produce a light rigid frame for a coupe than when they release the covertable they have to add structral reinforcining thus adding weight to get the rigid platform for the convertable. That's car building 101. Most companies would have engineered the coupe platform from the begining so even if they release the covertable model first they could reduce some structral weight when it came time for the coupe. I guess it's obvious the coupe was an after thought by DC.
Ok we've all probably concluded that there is not alot of money for Viper developement so lets push for some weight reductions in some area's that are easy fixes. How about some carbon fiber panels. Even the new Z06 is reported to have carbon fiber front fenders and liners. How about some light weight / thiner glass. Maybe they can cut some weight out of the exhaust system. Oh.. sorry this might cost some design dollars better skip that.
I would like to close by sayiny I still want to be a New Viper owner but GM has come to the table loaded for bear. I'm on the fence on the new coupe. If DC stays with 500 HP than the only solution to the fight the Z06 is for the coupe to lose some weight !!! Maybe some serious lobbying could get DC to put the coupe on a diet.. If DC wants to bring new owners to the table the need to stay ahead of the Z06. After hanging out here for about a year and half I needed to vent my frustration after seeing the coupe specs. Please save me from a Z06 !!! Thanks for listening.

OP
OP
S

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are too funny,But seriously how about some support for weight reduction ???

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weight reduction not all that hard, or super expensive.
Corsa track exhaust - 40 lbs
Aluminum fly wheel.
Ditch run flats
Lighter wheels.
Adkins.
Should ditch about 200 lbs, maybe more.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is little doubt that now that the SRT-10 Coupe is out, that an ACR version will follow. And the SEMA "Carbon" Viper showed that with carbon fiber fenders and hood the SRT-10 Viper can loose around 150lbs+. :laugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude