Jump starting dead battery 02 rt10

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 2002 rt10. My battery died I think. My lights work, barely....not sure about the radio or horn....tried to start her last night after a month without starting. Very cold here in Ontario,Canada lately.

I did not even have the alarm on much of that time either.

Anyone have any luck jumping a dead snake with only ONE CAR OR TRUCK to get it to start?

Use the ground black frame post and the red terminal?

I will not use a booster (pcm might fry).

thanks, Kevin.:drive:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why dont you go buy a 40.00 battery charger and be safe, and also by jumpimg it,it will never get a full charge by running it,you have to slow charge it.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suggest to never ever jump start using high amp booster jump (boost to start switch) or another vehicle. The high amp jump has been known to fry the PCM. The PCM cost $800.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been their done this...buy a new battery and save your self lots of drama.....my 99 rt10 did the same so i bought 3 differant chargers ect.....in the end a new battery was all she needed

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been their done this...buy a new battery and save your self lots of drama.....my 99 rt10 did the same so i bought 3 differant chargers ect.....in the end a new battery was all she needed

sure, in the spring, but not now.. just want to jump it.

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen2lover..Really?....Hope you don't run out of gas, filling up might be a challenge too...:lmao:

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it can be jumped from another car. Just be careful and make sure you hook it up right. Then buy a new battery.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I jumped my 97 B/W a few times using my SUV. It was quick and easy and no other residual problems. These cars do not keep batteries for some reason. Best thing to do is keep a charger on it if you don't plan on driving it for an extended period of time. Changing the battery is a PIA. Jumping the battery is pretty easy.

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please provide a link to a good battery charger. mine is dead after not runnung it for 2 months.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACRSNK said:
...These cars do not keep batteries for some reason.
This certainly seems to be the consensus.

I am chasing down an excessive current draw on mine right now to hopefully find the reason these cars don't keep batteries well. :(

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've jumped mine before when I left my hatch open all night (wasn't closed fully).

Make sure it is hooked up correctly... (I didn't know about frying the PCM)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I jump started (*) one of my Vipers with my Jeep once - no problem. Why?

Turn on all the lights and rear window defroster in the starter car (and if the idle rpm should drop have someone stepping on the gas).

(*) because I forgot to connect the trickle charger :rolleyes:

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why turn on all the lights and rear window defroster? That seems counter productive. And really unless you absolutly have to, I've always been told it's better to have the "good" car turned off.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All You Folks Out There That Wonder Why Your Car Allways Eats Batteries, After You Jump Your Car Unless You Trickle Charge It When You Get The Chance,it Will Never Again Reach Opt Performance On Its Own= And That Leads To Fast /early Death=

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not always true, but yes...it's good practice.

I've accidentally run an Optima down to totally dead a few times by leaving headlights on all day (daily driver).

Jumped it off each time and it recharged to 12.8... sans trickle charger. It's been in the car 5 years.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this was the first time the battery died, I would not run out an buy a new one until you've determined it can't/won't hold a charge.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this was the first time the battery died, I would not run out an buy a new one until you've determined it can't/won't hold a charge.

Yes this was the 1st time the battery has died. I think its still the ORIGINAL even. I talked to Chuck last year and Jon B. and they said the original Mopar battery is solid/good for a long time.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a booster pack and jump started my GenI mamy, many times. But I found that, if the battery is completely dead the booster or a boost from another car will not start the car. That is when push start with a booster pack connected comes in handy. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang