***just Converted My Convert To A Coupe***

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, just brought our composites division in house, and things are moving sooooo much faster now. I had originally prototyped this conversion a couple of years ago ( you may remember the post with a black SRT10 that Chris Marshall posted ). And now after moving all our molds in house on thursday last week we got to the business end of this conversion and got her done on Friday. There are still a few detail pieces to tweak but so far so good.

Once the incorporated roll bar is installed ( 1hr ) the change over from coupe to convert and back gain takes about an hour with 2 people.

What I did here is replace the entire trunk with a hatch back that bolts up to a roll bar that also supports the roof. The roof panel latches to the windshield just like the convertible top does. Rear window ( hatch ) has rear defrost.

The convertible top is still in the car and the car can convert right back in less than an hour just by removing the hatch (4 bolts ) and then the roof ( 4 bolts and a latch ) then the stock trunk gets bolted back on and viola back to a vert. Here are some pics...

DSCF1854ASM.jpg

DSCF1861ASM.jpg

DSCF1864ASM.jpg

DSCF1848ASM.jpg

DSCF1847Asm.jpg

Yah, Yah , I know, you don't like the Comp COupe wing.... I am working on a lip spoiler like Hen's

DSCF1841ASM.jpg

DSCF1827ASM.jpg

DSCF1834ASM.jpg

DSCF1850ASM.jpg

DSCF1844ASM.jpg

On another Note... Supercharged and fully rebuilt by Dan at DC Performance with around 800 RWHP and coming back home this week

DC_Performance_2-27_grey_one_pics.jpg

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, I really like that last pic of the GenII. Is is a black/silver stripe or sapphire/silver stripe? If I lived closer to Dan my Paxton SRT Ram would never leave his shop and he'd get even more money from me than what he already has :)

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, I really like that last pic of the GenII. Is is a black/silver stripe or sapphire/silver stripe? If I lived closer to Dan my Paxton SRT Ram would never leave his shop and he'd get even more money from me than what he already has :)

Dave, Steel Grey w/ Silver Stripes, picture compliments of Albert Fattal

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it, but it seems to need a spoiler, to bring some aggressiveness to the back end. Otherwise, it kinda looks like its missing something.

The back end of thi photo actually reminds me of a Ferrari, like 360/430 ish, kinda cool..

DSCF1834ASM.jpg

Good luck with the product, love to see the step by step conversion document, seems like you have a pretty well thought out process.

Jon

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us know when this hits production, I want it,looks great!

We are going to start the molding process this week, we hope to have the first production pieces ( kits ) in early march. I will put you first on the list ( Thanks! )

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it, but it seems to need a spoiler, to bring some aggressiveness to the back end. Otherwise, it kinda looks like its missing something.

The back end of thi photo actually reminds me of a Ferrari, like 360/430 ish, kinda cool..

DSCF1834ASM.jpg

Good luck with the product, love to see the step by step conversion document, seems like you have a pretty well thought out process.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks, your opinion means lots. I have had a few comments this weekend from friend who liked the Exotic look.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!!! That looks fantastic! Looks like really good quality work from the 10-foot perspective. I'll bet it looks just as good up close and in person.

MGWLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i REALLY like this look but if i could just add some constructive opinions.

1. your hatch look on the srt backend in my opinion is PERFECT. i just cannot understand why dodge needed to redo the backend to look like the older gts. it is not a gts and this version looks much more like the obvious evolution of the srt10 to coupe form.

2. the hood and side splitters are just to much overkill. keep the look simpe and just reduce weight and i think people will buy. i want a look that says exotic car or special edition NOT body kit or boy racer.

3. try to see if the gen 4 2008 hood can work or make a similar lightweight version of this.

4. NO wing!!!! maybe a small spoiler but i think your top pic looks so clean that anything on the back just takes away from it.

but i must say i REALLY like it and have a new 06 coming soon and will be watching your progress.

regards
george

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between this and the Lemke Street Serpent package the Gen III are finally getting some very tastefull body mods....Cant wait to see them on other colors...Very good work...Im imagining the lip from the Street Serpent on the rear of this one....a ducktail lip like that would add some aggressiveness to the rear end...Would like to add that you guys put DC design team to shame..

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you post some pics from the rear?
Any idea on price?
Do you plan on submitting it VRL/SCCA for approval to run in those series?
You must install the roll bar, or is that an option?
Is this your roll bar design, if so do you have pics of that also?
Will it also be submitted for approval in the VRL/SCCA?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post some pics from the rear?
Any idea on price?
Do you plan on submitting it VRL/SCCA for approval to run in those series?
You must install the roll bar, or is that an option?
Is this your roll bar design, if so do you have pics of that also?
Will it also be submitted for approval in the VRL/SCCA?

This roll bar will meet VRL/SCCA when combined with the roof, and it will be submitted for approval. It is being made out of Chrome Molly ( spelling??? ) and is just like the one that is embedded in the New Coupes only not made from cheap pig iron. It can be removed in minutes and replaced with your stock roll hoops if you do not like the look when in Convertible Mode but we are trying to make it as good looking as possible while still retaining functionality. The best part of this kit will be that these now cheap converts will be able to be coupes for much less than buying a coupe, when I buy an 08 I will be getting a Vert now. The Roll Bar is in teh car right now but the next time I take it out I wil snap some shots of it for you. I will try to get one of my guys to push teh car forward and take some shots from the rear.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i REALLY like this look but if i could just add some constructive opinions.

1. your hatch look on the srt backend in my opinion is PERFECT. i just cannot understand why dodge needed to redo the backend to look like the older gts. it is not a gts and this version looks much more like the obvious evolution of the srt10 to coupe form.

2. the hood and side splitters are just to much overkill. keep the look simpe and just reduce weight and i think people will buy. i want a look that says exotic car or special edition NOT body kit or boy racer.

3. try to see if the gen 4 2008 hood can work or make a similar lightweight version of this.

4. NO wing!!!! maybe a small spoiler but i think your top pic looks so clean that anything on the back just takes away from it.

but i must say i REALLY like it and have a new 06 coming soon and will be watching your progress.

regards
george

Thanks George!,

I would love to get my hands on an 08 hood, but we wil also be offering our hoods in FRP and CF, we have liek stock version , a Gen 1 Comp Coupe Version , and the newer Gen 3 Comp Coupe version On the car in this photo.

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great! I see there is a black panel to adapt for conv side glass. May sound crazy but how hard would it be to change the side window openings to accept coup glass!? (for those who might want a long term conversion)

I think it looks best with the stock conv rear, prefer the clean look.
Again, nice job.

Len

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great! I see there is a black panel to adapt for conv side glass. May sound crazy but how hard would it be to change the side window openings to accept coup glass!? (for those who might want a long term conversion)

I think it looks best with the stock conv rear, prefer the clean look.
Again, nice job.

Len

Len,

great minds.....

That is exaclty why we used the coupe profile for the side windows ( plus it looks better that the stock convert profile ), the inserts are removeable for those that like the coupe glass, you also gain some storage space if you remove the convertible top all together as well.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would adjust the window opening on the top if possible work more like AP's and AutoForms rear deck lid spoiler would complete the package(very similar to JH's at 1/3 the price!)

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep us updated!

Can you give us some info on your roll bar; Price and availability.

I really like the look but I would either put a spoiler or wing on for an accent piece. I wonder what it would look like with the coupe rearend on.

Thanks Todd

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks very nice :laugh: And I agree that a subtle lip spoiler should finish the rear-end off well.
One suggestion would be to have the option of using 5 pins or latches to lock down/remove the top quickly.
As long as the rollbar looks decent it should be able to stay bolted in all of the time.

Good job!

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had about three or four people call me today telling me to check this thread as this kit looks TO THE "T" of a PS I did of what the new coupe should look like when the SRT first came out. Hmmm...

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with this 100%.

It looks very nice! :2tu: :2tu:

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had about three or four people call me today telling me to check this thread as this kit looks TO THE "T" of a PS I did of what the new coupe should look like when the SRT first came out. Hmmm...

Hey Austin,

Do you remember this post of Chris Marshals ?

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=519874&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

This is my black car and pics my composite shop that Chris had posted in this post, thanks for all the great Photoshop work, it was definately an inspiration to keep the project going. PM or email me I may have a paying project for you.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. Gives you a whole new outlook on the srt-10 verts.
Ricketts

Ricketts,

You are sooo right, look at what the SRT10's are selling for now, if one had the ability to convert a convertible to a coupe in minutes and retain the convertible part and have the car look exotic or at best comparable to the new coupe, why buy a coupe when you can save 20K and have the best of both worlds!

This red car of mine was going to be sold this summer but now, I don't thinks I'll be able to part woth it.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you have asked for some pics from the rear ( of the car ), here are a few, we could only push the car forward a few feet away from the wall due to the shop being a complete mess right now, but here are some pics ( where is CHris Marshal when you need him! )

Note: the car is extremely dirty right now and the lighting just plain *****, once we do some more fitting sanding and a paint job better pics will come and then we will pull the molds.

DSCF1880ASM.jpg

DSCF1887ASM.jpg

DSCF1876ASM.jpg

DSCF1882ASM.jpg

DSCF1884ASM.jpg

DSCF1883ASM.jpg